Pattaya: Not a zoo but a "prison for animals" - online complaints lead to large bust

webfact

Pattaya: Not a zoo but a "prison for animals" - online complaints lead to large bust

8pm2.jpg

Picture: Thai PBS

Online complaints about a Pattaya zoo led to a raid on Friday.

A post had said the place was not a zoo but a prison for animals. 

Neither the name of the zoo in Nong Pla Lai sub-district of Bang Lamung nor the owner were named. This is often the case with media cautious about Thailand's strict defamation laws.

There were thousands of animal species, some on the restricted list.

The authorities are planning on removing 1,681 animals. 

The owner - named only as "A" - wants to look after them while the matter is resolved in the courts. 

Thai PBS said he did not have a license to run a zoo but was open to tourists. 

Animals included snakes, exotic birds, soft-shelled turtles, African mongeese, palm civets, African porcupines and a large amount of fish species. 

The owner faces years in jail and fines of 100,000s of baht on many charges related to illegal operation and having protected species.

Source: Thai PBS

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-09-14

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Are we allowed to say where 'there' is....I can't think of a place in Nong Plalai....

Seeing as the original report didn't name the place for fear of a lawsuit  I would err on the side of not saying where "there" is.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, webfact said:

Thai PBS said he did not have a license to run a zoo but was open to tourists

there's his problem then ..... and the envelopes stopped coming. I guess with no tourists he is suffering as such the animals would be suffering as lack of food and staff for cleaning.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, webfact said:

The owner faces years in jail and fines of 100,000s of baht on many charges related to illegal operation and having protected species.

The owner has been a protected species since he started up.  Other protected breeds are taxi drivers; red light runners and speedsters.  I cannot reveal who is doing the protecting.

20 hours ago, Knocker33 said:

Bit of a misleading headline again. Pattaya. Not a zoo

Me also coz i always thought it was some kind of safari park where you drive around looking at the inhabitants that are behind those bars. :coffee1:

Edited by brianthainess

14 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Me also coz i always thought it was some kind of safari park where you drive around looking at the inhabitants that are behind those bars. :coffee1:

I often felt that way when the large coaches moved slowly down the road and many narrow eyess and open mouths gawped at me from them!