Pattaya: Rogues still ripping off tourists for parking near Walking Street, reports Thai media

webfact

I remember the guys in that parking lot use to charge motorbikes 20 cars 40 baht  to park there for many years......It was never questioned and never made the news that I remember.....It was just the way it was....

Edited by redwood1
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The same happens when people set up a stall on a block of empty land,

I recall a tale in the Uk I believe, how a guy set up a box and was charging people to enter and park on some spare land for some years. Only when he suddenly was no longer there was it uncovered that he did not work for the concil and of course had no right to collect parking fees. Apprently he had gone off to Spain in retirement.

Everyone knows LOS means 'Land of Scams'.....

Edited by jacko45k
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, bodga said:

as it  seems  are  many in Thailand.

judging from the public's obedience in wearing masks to protect themselves and their fellow citizens I now think Thais are some of the least selfish people on the planet. Europeans and Americans are the most selfish since they continue to flout social distancing and mask-wearing protocols.

So no.. I don't think Thais are selfish anymore. They have shown they are all in this together. 

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

And thats exactly how most of these issues occur.

Someone ‘tries it on’ someone starts charging for parking on a street, the police know but are lazy to do anything about it, this goes on for long enough for the sense of entitlement to sink in and those illegally charging people to park develop the belief that its their right to to do so.... 

The same happens when people set up a stall on a block of empty land, someone else join’s them and so on...   or when people put deckchairs out on a beach etc... when people encroach on others land, when hotels build too close to the roads stopping fire Engine access... 

.... and on and on and on... existing laws are simply not enforced.

whilst I agree on all that,  isn't that one of the reasons folks leave their home country and come to Thailand ?  because their home country has too many rules and regulations, and in Thailand you can enjoy freedom without the bureaucracy and red tape with every government move, paying a speeding fine for example, riding a motorbike without a licence, getting your electricity reconnected by paying a local, paying cash in the village to get things done faster,  rules being bent all the time and not enforced. 

You can't have it both ways.

Edited by steven100
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, spermwhale said:

judging from the public's obedience in wearing masks to protect themselves and their fellow citizens I now think Thais are some of the least selfish people on the planet. Europeans and Americans are the most selfish since they continue to flout social distancing and mask-wearing protocols.

So no.. I don't think Thais are selfish anymore. They have shown they are all in this together. 

I might have agreed up to yesterday when a Thai parked in the middle of the road while he went to a 7-11, blocking off the street.

43 minutes ago, spermwhale said:

So you think when Thais put on a mask they are also considering their fellow citizens ?

Interesting theory !

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, spermwhale said:

And when they get into their  cars do they stay so unselfish

5 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

So you think when Thais put on a mask they are also considering their fellow citizens ?

Interesting theory !

Actually yes I do.... pre Covid you saw masks and it was because the wearer had a cold and did not want to infect others. I believe that is a major benefit of mask wearing, and I should extend the courtesy. 

• Like 1