Does anyone have kefir grains?

Konini

17 hours ago, Konini said:

Sorry to hear about your dairy problem, I can't imagine a world without it - we go through at least 10 litres a week not including cheese.  Have you tried making your own kefir and leaving it to ferment for a good couple of days before drinking a little?  If it's the lactose you have the problem with, the kefir grains feed on the sugar (lactose) and if left long enough they'll gobble the whole lot, meaning you may possibly be OK with it, I've read that many lactose intolerant people get away with it.  Same with yoghurt left fermenting for a good couple of days but I don't think the bacteria are as gutsy as kefir grains so the lactose may not be all gone.  If you haven't tried it, it might be worth a go. 

I haven't tried nut milk cheese, to be honest I hadn't heard about it before reading your post.  I'm about to start making cheese myself for the first time, got everything I need for the easy soft cheeses to practice on before trying the easiest hard cheese, Wensleydale (which happens to be my favourite when topped with raspberry jam).  Hopefully this week if I can organise myself to find the time to go into town to get some raw milk.

Thanks and yes I have tried making Kefir and yoghurt and leaving them to 'work' but still problematic.

The cheeses I bought made from Almond Milk are soft creamy cheese but in blocks. Leyden, made with cumin and caraway seeds is very good.(also contains coconut oil,tapioca starch and apple cider vinegar in case that helps with your cheesemaking!) The other is Muenster, same as Leydfen but no herbs.

Good luck with your venture. I recall visiting a cheesemake in Holland and watching their presentation, I was shocked to see how much salt was used! just under 3% from memory. scary

18 hours ago, plentyofnuttin said:

My favorite yogurt comes from Dacheeso. It's their liquid variety. Don't know for sure why it tastes so good. I suspect it's the quality of their milk which definitely has more flavor than the kind that comes from the major dairies. You can get it at Hideways Cafe.

Their milk is pasteurised slowly and is not homogenised - exactly what you want for making cheese, which is their main line of business.  A lot of people struggle to tell the difference, but for anything involving milk beyond putting it into tea or coffee or having it on breakfast cereal it's perfect.  Most of us would remember the cream on top of the milk bottle; that's milk that isn't homogenised and no longer common.

• Like 1