Officials raid Chiang Mai labour camp to hunt for new Covid-19 cases

webfact

Officials raid Chiang Mai labour camp to hunt for new Covid-19 cases

By The Nation

800_8dbcd0d57a3b78b.jpg?v=1600065869

Chiang Mai officials swooped down on a foreign labour camp in Muang district’s Mae Hia area on Monday (September 14) morning to look for illegal migrants who may have brought new Covid-19 infections.

The team, led by Mae Hia’s village chief Amphon Thanakul, also tested each camp resident’s temperature as well as checked their papers to see if they had come in illegally.

This was in line with the Department of Provincial Administration’s regulation to check the body temperature of foreign workers as well as check their travel history.

Over the past 24 hours, Myanmar has found 337 new Covid-19 cases, bringing its total number up to 2,932 cases. the death toll increased to 20.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30394503

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-09-14

I thought  temperature checks have been deemed worthless in finding covid cases.

Its not only over 70 who need to  worry.   The long term damage on any age is not fully understood but it is an issue to be considered.   I believe  naysayers will be made to look like fools if they live long enough.  

"Maybe the Thais aren't doing everything right... but they're certainly not making fools out of themselves and doing everything wrong."

I never said or implied that the Thais were "doing everything wrong." Where did you get that idea? 

Funny, though, I was just thinking today about the past few months and how Thais were never really that strict about physical distancing and wearing masks other then where they were mandated. My guess is that the strain of virus (we were the first identified case outside of China, remember) that went through Thailand was somewhat different than the one that ended up in Italy, for example. 

Also worth remembering is the fact that the lion's share of covid cases and resultant illnesses and deaths came from only a few clusters at the very beginning of the situation. Thailand did not do anything out of the ordinary; on the contrary, we followed the examples of other nations (as other nations followed China's example to varying degrees). 

For reasons that are very worth looking into, Thailand's history with the virus is a somewhat unusual one, although having said that, SE Asia as a whole is worth investigating. With 70 million people here, a mere 3,480 cases (again, most in the early days) shows that  -- teamed with over eight 14-day "covid-less quarantine cycles" -- the virus as a sickness-inducing agent has been eliminated. 

You may hem about numbers of tests and so on (conspiracy theories too) but keep in mind that regardless of whether you test at all, IF covid is active here we would have reports from hospitals the moment a case came up. We do not have this. It may be that covid is still around, but it's clear that whatever strain is here is not powerful enough to make anyone sick enough to seek hospital care.