Chinese man held for crossing into Thailand illegally from Myanmar

webfact

Chinese man held for crossing into Thailand illegally from Myanmar

By THE NATION

800_39a9eb1c8b5d3b8.jpg?v=1600068454

A Chinese national was caught on Monday (September 14) for crossing into Tak’s Mae Sot district illegally from Myanmar.

Recently, soldiers, police and immigration officials were deployed to monitor the five border districts of Tak province to prevent illegal crossings for fear illegal migrants may bring new Covid-19 infections with them.

The Chinese man apparently works in Myanmar in an area controlled by the Karen Board Guard Force.

Over the past 24 hours, 233 new Covid-19 cases have surfaced in Myanmar and the situation there is so bad that MP candidates in Myawaddy have had to cancel their election campaigns.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30394511

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-09-14

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Recently, soldiers, police and immigration officials were deployed to monitor the five border districts of Tak province to prevent illegal crossings for fear illegal migrants may bring new Covid-19 infections with them.

Pointless question, I know:

Why aren't there soldiers being used permanently to control the 'natural' - i.e. porous border? We're not exactly short of soldiers are we.

The answer must be a matter of 'national security', so we'll probably never know.

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Geoffggi said:

So what happened to the Chinese man? probably nothing as he works for the border force .....

You must be mean the 'border farce'.

So far they've been as effective as a fart in a cullender. Plus the border is as porous as a cullender too.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Pointless question, I know:

Why aren't there soldiers being used permanently to control the 'natural' - i.e. porous border? We're not exactly short of soldiers are we.

The answer must be a matter of 'national security', so we'll probably never know.

Sure we are!  Thailand is drastically short of military manpower!

Using the US as a comparison, general/soldier ratio is 1/1431...

Given the existence of at least 1700 military generals in Thailand, it means that Thailand is short of at least 2.1 million soldiers!  -and that's the low end!  High end would be at least 2.7 million soldiers needed!

• Haha 2