So near and yet so far

snoop1130

So near and yet so far

by Bea Toews 

twelve-apostles-302024_1920-1170x780.jpg

I live near the ocean, about eighty kilometres from the city of Melbourne where my son and his family live. I have not seen my son and his family (except on messenger) since March 16. Neither have I seen my sister in law and her family who also live in Melbourne.

That’s not a long time: I am often abroad for much longer than that. 

However, there is a grandson, just 80km away and I can’t reach him. He has just decided, to become a naturalist. The first animal on his list since he decided on his career, two days ago, is a possum. 

He has the equipment – a bag, a torch and a water bottle (and a beanie, as the nights are chilly here as winter approaches). He has a notebook and pencil just in case anything needs writing down. He is ready to go. He really does not mind the lockdown and being out of school, as he is the centre of his family’s attention and that is always wonderful for a six year old! I would like to go exploring with him.

It’s pitiful for me that he is so close and he is as far away as if I was in Bangkok. Could I sneak into town to see him? Apparently, we are not to be driving out of our postal zones and the fine is 1,600AUD. The Aussie dollar is very weak right now, but still? 

Full Story: https://expatlifeinthailand.com/travel-and-leisure/so-near-and-yet-so-far/

expat.png

-- © Copyright Expat Life in Thailand 2020-09-14
  • Like 1

pic is what remains of the 12 appostles, I saw the full 12 as well as london bridge(even walked across it) when much younger and doing a lot of diving along the ocean road. I havent seen my daughter for 10 years, she was supposed to have come over to Thailand in June to stay with me and was bringing my grandson to meet me for the first time but due to the virus all flights were cancelled and with the restrictions on flying in and leaving Australia as well as the restrictions and requirements in Thailand I doubt I will get to see her again anytime soon, this virus and china that allowed it to spread around the world  have a lot to answer for

• Like 1

16 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Welcome to Australia, the most repressive government in the western world.

Who would have guessed this 10 years back?

I would have after traveling there in 2001. Their customs and immigration department was ridiculous and I was shocked about the weight restrictions on baggage. I also went there in 1997 and had no issues.