OPEN LETTER: Foreigners with local businesses face impossible financial demands and regulations

snoop1130

OPEN LETTER: Foreigners with local businesses face impossible financial demands and regulations

1600050343_1-org.jpg

A staffer cleans a still-empty Phuket International Airport. Photo: AoT Phuket

A foreigner who launched a start-up business in Phuket before the the COVID-19 outbreak details how foreigners who have spent millions of baht launching a businesses in Phuket are now stuck in an impossible situation financially, and unable to even comply with Immigration requirements due to no income during the current economic crisis. Here is the foreigner’s Open Letter to the Thai Government, unedited for veracity:

“Phuket is badly affected by the current crises” a statement by V / Gov Phichet, September 11, 2020.

What do you want as a government with foreigners who invest money in a Thai company?

Full Story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/open-letter-foreigners-with-local-businesses-face-impossible-financial-demands-and-regulations-77302.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2020-09-14

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, nemo38 said:

Money in tourism or real estate is lost money. Tourists won't be back for years. Tourism may never recover. 

The illusion of a return to normal is being kept alive by money printing and banks not defaulting on loans. After that stops, the gates of hell will open. 

Are you sure about the Thai government printing money? The banks here are also taking court action to sieze properties for non payment.  Maybe your thinking your on a western forum, but this is Thailand.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Sharp said:

I would tend to think the opposite having spent Nov - Feb in Phuket and Pattaya the amount of Chinese roaming round unencumbered and daily flights from Wuhan herd immunity has largely been acheived by default and minimal testing the fact thats it's nowhere near as deadly as previously thought most cases went unreported as people went on about their  days feelings <deleted>ty for a few days and recovered ,self medicated or were asymptomatic thats the reason in my opinion Thailands numbers are at low.

Basically the virus went through and only finding the remnants of the infected a little too late.

I take your point, lets hope that's the case

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

Are you sure about the Thai government printing money? The banks here are also taking court action to sieze properties for non payment.  Maybe your thinking your on a western forum, but this is Thailand.

The government bank has stopped collecting mortgage payments until next February 2021, im not sure is some of the other banks are doing the same thing?

it was a pleasant surprise for the wife when she checked her account

• Like 1

After reading the article its become obvious as to why there isn't a lot of FDi into Thailand. It's not necessarily an entrepreneurs haven. That being said, this person didn't do all their homework before coming here; yes the covid siutation exacerbated things for them, but it could be any hiccup, and many of the same problems were to come about. For entrepreneurs coming to SE Asia a country like Malaysia, may have better laws for aspiring entrepreneurs.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, nemo38 said:

I wasn't thinking of Thailand specifically. I assume I'm speaking mostly to foreigners here.

Western governments are kicking the financial can down the road, with money printing and not recognising the banks are already bust. Thailand won't see many western tourists again, as the wealth of the western middle class has been sucked out of the economy. Thailand will have to adjust it's economy for autarky. 

I completely agree with the tourist demographic changing after covid. It was already changing after around 2010, because of what is mentioned above; "western middle class wealth being sucked out" etc. It'll be a destination for people in the East Asian region, and many of the old business laws will remain and be applied to the new entrepreneurs who try their luck.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, ukrules said:

I think this is a common misconception.

Those rules about company formation, required employees, shareholder percentages, hurdles to getting visas and work permits, etc are not there to help you establish and maintain a business while living in Thailand.

They exist to discourage any and all foreigners from doing so.

I agree with the first part of your comment, not with the second part. It's not in order to discourage anyone, but to benefit Thailand and Thai society. Otherwise what is the point? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Aspaltso said:

After reading the article its become obvious as to why there isn't a lot of FDi into Thailand. It's not necessarily an entrepreneurs haven. That being said, this person didn't do all their homework before coming here; yes the covid siutation exacerbated things for them, but it could be any hiccup, and many of the same problems were to come about. For entrepreneurs coming to SE Asia a country like Malaysia, may have better laws for aspiring entrepreneurs.

Do they still have that program in Malaysia, My Second Home? 

• Thanks 1