Engine Oil

Formaleins

Can you believe this? We were at a repair shop the other day buying some brake parts and I happened to ask about what  the best oil would be for a Vigo Champ 2.5 Diesel Pre Runner, with a Turbo. )I want a good oil, that looks after the turbo and not some overpriced synthetic, just a regular oil that I can change every 5000KM, that is not braking the bank.

The guy there shows me this Mobil Oil... it is advertised as 40,000 KM between changes!!!! I was worrying about 10,000KM...I cannot believe any oil is good for that mileage!

So, any of you people out there that like to keep their oil in good condition, what do you recommend for a 2.5 Toyota D4D Turbo, as a 5000km decent oil? I am not interested in keeping the oil for 10000KM, I just would appreciate some advice on what works well with a turbo (never had a truck with one before) Just a reasonable oil that you would put in a Toyota and change every 5000 KM.

As always, good advice is greatly appreciated.

I was thinking of sticking to a main brand like Shell / Castrol or similar and just using 15W/40 or maybe 10W/30....any plusses or minuses? 0W30, 0W/40.... I only used 20W/50 in the UK, so I am an oil virgin!

Edited by Formaleins

Considering that it can reach over 40 degrees in Thailand a SAE xxW-50 oil would be a good choice, but i guess a xxW-40 oil is also sufficient. The number before the W is quite irrelevant for the temperatures here in Thailand.

Which other specifications are required and how often you are supposed to change it is written in your owner's manual.

My mechanic changes the oil on my Vios every 5000 km, claims the rest of the car will wear out before the engine. He may be right.

The rule of thumb is 10,000 km max for a mineral oil with additives, 15,000 km for a semi-synthetic, 20,000 to 30,000 for a full synthetic. Cost goes up the more synthetic there is. IMO 40,000 is stretching the oil a fair bit.

Changing a full synthetic every 5000 km is wasteful. A recognized brand of non-synthetic is all that is needed for that frequency.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Mineral...5000km, semi.....5/10000km, syn....10/15000km. I used syn in my Vigo upto around  15000km

Any ride with a turbo needs looking after, for me it would be a minimum of semi oil, has that little bit of extra protection, and the Vigo comes from factory with semi.

Most non turbo engines will go on for ever with anything in it, but the turbo is the thing that breaks down the oil, extreme heat, it needs the best for longevity.. 

• Like 1

Assuming that the comments made are chiefly from old geezers that lugged only big iron V8 pushrod truck engines under the hood, these comments make sense. Modern engines - not so much. Today's common rail Diesel and direct injected gasoline engines are running much higher fuel pressure, all of which is produced with cam driven fuel pumps. Good luck running a regular mineral oil in these engines, the shorter oil change intervals will not make any discernible difference preventing early wear - they simply do not have the shear additives necessary to do the job.

This is probably a much better place to get qualified advise -

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, mistral53 said:

Assuming that the comments made are chiefly from old geezers that lugged only big iron V8 pushrod truck engines under the hood, these comments make sense. Modern engines - not so much. Today's common rail Diesel and direct injected gasoline engines are running much higher fuel pressure, all of which is produced with cam driven fuel pumps. Good luck running a regular mineral oil in these engines, the shorter oil change intervals will not make any discernible difference preventing early wear - they simply do not have the shear additives necessary to do the job.

This is probably a much better place to get qualified advise -

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

A rides handbook will state suitable oil grade/type/tech for it's given engine, and oil change time/KM.

Toyota now recommend THEIR Full Syn oil for their new models. Should be changed no more than 10k km. The oil might be ok for a tad longer but their filters wont that's as important as the oil.  

Toyota sell their Full Syn at a little more than their semi Syn. So just use their Full Syn.

I believe that your car has around 6lt of oil in the engine??? But I can tell you a full change using Full Syn in my 2.8 that has 8lt of Toyota Full Syn oil, including filter, grease the prop costs, 2.300bht INC: That's at Toyota. Peanuts. N/B I also change mine at 5k why not as I said it cost next to nothing to keep the engine in great condition.  

2 hours ago, fredob43 said:

Toyota now recommend THEIR Full Syn oil for their new models. Should be changed no more than 10k km. The oil might be ok for a tad longer but their filters wont that's as important as the oil.  

Toyota sell their Full Syn at a little more than their semi Syn. So just use their Full Syn.

I believe that your car has around 6lt of oil in the engine??? But I can tell you a full change using Full Syn in my 2.8 that has 8lt of Toyota Full Syn oil, including filter, grease the prop costs, 2.300bht INC: That's at Toyota. Peanuts. N/B I also change mine at 5k why not as I said it cost next to nothing to keep the engine in great condition.  

Well some of us out here have to watch our expenditure, so spending 50 quid on an oil change that is not needed seems a bit daft....????

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, transam said:

Well some of us out here have to watch our expenditure, so spending 50 quid on an oil change that is not needed seems a bit daft....????

Yes, while most of us can afford it. However, better to change before, than too late, right.

2 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Yes, while most of us can afford it. However, better to change before, than too late, right.

I, and many here are not hi-so posters like yourself, but if a manufacturer, in their handbook, say change at 10,000km, then that is a figure that MORE than covers their engine wear worries.

Now, if you want to change your oil early because you are hi-so that's great, you are creating LOS employment, and spending your money here, well done....:clap2:

1 minute ago, transam said:

I, and many here are not hi-so posters like yourself, but if a manufacturer, in their handbook, say change at 10,000km, then that is a figure that MORE than covers their engine wear worries.

Now, if you want to change your oil early because you are hi-so that's great, you are creating LOS employment, and spending your money here, well done....:clap2:

Yes, some of us can afford do that. I call it giving back to a country that gives me a great life and value for money.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, transam said:

If you had ever read Toyotas book. You would find that Toyota states 10k km for oil change under normal conditions.

But if you are using it in heavy traffic or doing high speed runs. Change at 5,000km intervals. My lump is use mostly in traffic and the odd high speed run. So I comply with the book, and do it at 5k

Sorry if your skint but there are many of us that have plenty of cash. And laying out 4.600bht a year to have servicing done on my Car correctly, is as I have said peanuts. 

Just had a thought last months electric bill was 4,380bht at my place. And that's every month not once a year.     

Edited by fredob43
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

If you had ever read Toyotas book. You would find that Toyota states 10k km for oil change under normal conditions.

But if you are using it in heavy traffic or doing high speed runs. Change at 5,000km intervals. My lump is use mostly in traffic and the odd high speed run. So I comply with the book, and do it at 5k

Sorry if your skint but there are many of us that have plenty of cash. And laying out 4.600bht a year to have servicing done on my Car correctly, is as I have said peanuts. 

Just had a thought last months electric bill was 4,380bht at my place. And that's every month not once a year.     

A ridiculous post, I don't think readers want to know your hi-so financial outlays chap, plus, if YOU are jumping over sand dunes, wading through 2 foot fords on a daily basis then one would change their oil more frequently, that is why Toyota points that out, but for general every day use it is 10,000km. 

Here's what Castrol has to say, or are they wrong......?

https://applications.castrol.com/oilselector/en_gb/c/recommendation?vehicleType=light-commercial-vehicles-(-7-5t)&manufacturer=toyota-(eu)&model=hilux-(2015-)&modelType=hilux-2-8-d-4d-4wd-(rus)-(2015-2015)

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, transam said:

A ridiculous post, I don't think readers want to know your hi-so financial outlays chap, plus, if YOU are jumping over sand dunes, wading through 2 foot fords on a daily basis then one would change their oil more frequently, that is why Toyota points that out, but for general every day use it is 10,000km. 

Here's what Castrol has to say, or are they wrong......?

https://applications.castrol.com/oilselector/en_gb/c/recommendation?vehicleType=light-commercial-vehicles-(-7-5t)&manufacturer=toyota-(eu)&model=hilux-(2015-)&modelType=hilux-2-8-d-4d-4wd-(rus)-(2015-2015)

Didn't look at what Castrol has to say. I just quoted what Toyota has in their service book. That's for high speed journeys, or heavy traffic, 5k km as that's what this this post is all about. (Toyota Oil) For lots of off road and deep water they say even less than 5k. Go look it up yourself. That's of cause you have the latest book.

I see that ace of pops is back under yet another name.

Edited by fredob43

15 hours ago, fredob43 said:

Didn't look at what Castrol has to say. I just quoted what Toyota has in their service book. That's for high speed journeys, or heavy traffic, 5k km as that's what this this post is all about. (Toyota Oil) For lots of off road and deep water they say even less than 5k. Go look it up yourself. That's of cause you have the latest book.

I see that ace of pops is back under yet another name.

I really don't think you have a clue about lubrication stuff....????

2 hours ago, transam said:

I really don't think you have a clue about lubrication stuff....????

Must admit I don't know a lot about other makes. But Toyotas I do. Having had 3 since I have been here. There's one for you how do you check/change the oil in the new 6 speed gear box. As you tell us you know everything should be a simple for you. Tip it's in the book.

Edited by fredob43

1 minute ago, fredob43 said:

Must admit I don't know a lot about other makes. But Toyotas I do. Having had 3 since I have been here. There's one for you how do you check/change the oil in the new 6 speed gear box. As you tell us you know everything should be a simple for you.

I have no idea, but if you want to know, I can do a search for you......☺️

8 minutes ago, transam said:

I have no idea, but if you want to know, I can do a search for you...…☺️

I don't need to know I already know. I only replied as you said I haven't a clue what I was talking about oil wise on Toyota.

6 minutes ago, pineapple01 said:

The Little Man should know about Oily Stuff. He lives in a Cheapo Area that  younger members of our Oil Distribution Team cant put up with the stink and wont move there. Namely Khamphengphet. Kippers n Curtains at its finest.????

Thank you for your reply ACE OF POPS. Little tip don't use the same old saying of yours.

Edited by fredob43
  • Confused 1

On 9/14/2020 at 7:46 PM, Formaleins said:

So, any of you people out there that like to keep their oil in good condition, what do you recommend for a 2.5 Toyota D4D Turbo, as a 5000km decent oil? I am not interested in keeping the oil for 10000KM, I just would appreciate some advice on what works well with a turbo (never had a truck with one before) Just a reasonable oil that you would put in a Toyota and change every 5000 KM.

I use Castrol Magnatec Pick-up 15W-40 in my Vigo D4D

Something to keep in mind is when you're outside of town driving distances at higher speeds you need to let your engine idle for a period of time before you shut the engine off. My understanding is because of the high temperature of the turbo charger oil left in the passages gets cooked if you shut the engine off too quickly.

Toyota manual recommends after driving:
80 km/hr idle 20 seconds
100 km/hr idle 1 minute
over 100 km/hr for long distances idle 2 minutes
Around town no idle time required