Engine Oil

Formaleins

Every 5,000k (3,000 miles) is a bit OTT. 10,000k (6,000 miles) or annually is adequate even on old-fashioned mineral oil. 

To put things into perspective, the oil change intervals for a modern Mercedes Benz Actros tractor unit (similar to one in my avatar, but newer) are 120,000 up to 150,000kms (under optimum conditions) i.e typically annually. Straight 6 with turbo.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/21/2020 at 4:31 PM, Lancashirelad said:

Every 5,000k (3,000 miles) is a bit OTT. 10,000k (6,000 miles) or annually is adequate even on old-fashioned mineral oil. 

To put things into perspective, the oil change intervals for a modern Mercedes Benz Actros tractor unit (similar to one in my avatar, but newer) are 120,000 up to 150,000kms (under optimum conditions) i.e typically annually. Straight 6 with turbo.

How many cubic meters of oil does that monster have in the reservoir...........lol

You will find that many of the large transport companies use Condition Monitoring and strip engines down to examine for wear to decide Oil Change frequency for their fleet. 50,000 miles is not uncommon.  However for those like us best to stick to the manufactures recommendation. 

20 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Most tractor-trailers and heavy equipment in my neck of the woods use 250 hours if on Dino oil, 350 hours if Syn.

15W40 or in winter 5W30

No hour clocks on UK & European trucks. They are not generally left idling for long periods of time as in the US. In fact some companies will question it if left idling for more than about 4 minutes.

• Thanks 1

On 9/14/2020 at 7:46 PM, Formaleins said:

what do you recommend for a 2.5 Toyota D4D Turbo

I  just  sold my D4D it had 220k  kilometres  on it, it was ALWAYS changed at 10k  kilometres  by Toyota  using their own semi synth, engine ran as sweet as a  nut, never  had a problem engine wise, The engine IS  the most expensive part of  your car id  always use the best  oil available as in the owners  handbook, they actually  give you a  choice with many of semi or  full synthetic

• Like 1

On 9/22/2020 at 10:13 PM, PFMills said:

You will find that many of the large transport companies use Condition Monitoring and strip engines down to examine for wear to decide Oil Change frequency for their fleet. 50,000 miles is not uncommon.  However for those like us best to stick to the manufactures recommendation. 

Why dont they do a much simpler oil test at  a lab?

On 9/16/2020 at 12:49 PM, Matzzon said:

Yes, some of us can afford do that. I call it giving back to a country that gives me a great life and value for money.

I gave back to the country yesterday, my pickup just clicked over 5000km and even though 1st oil change is not due till 15000km to make me feel good about doing my bit for the countryduring this pesky WuFlu malarky I had 7 litres of full synthetic put in with a fresh filter, Am sure the owners of B-quik are well chuffed at my generosity.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Don Mega said:

I gave back to the country yesterday, my pickup just clicked over 5000km and even though 1st oil change is not due till 15000km to make me feel good about doing my bit for the countryduring this pesky WuFlu malarky I had 7 litres of full synthetic put in with a fresh filter, Am sure the owners of B-quik are well chuffed at my generosity.

What's the cost for the full synthetic?

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Don Mega said:

You know, it was just a small insignificant expression to make it sound like it was not a big deal. However, if you wish to continue your stupid childish game. Feel free to do that.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, abonsa said:

only for oil ?

No the full first 10K service...I did get 20% off some bits...not on the oil though...but next time I will use Keng Hong Tong as bought Year 6-7-8 warranty off them so get 15%...and it is close to where I live rather than a 1 hr drive on the expressway.

So now I have manufactures warranty up to end of year eight...will be able to sleep at night.  555

• Like 2

1 hour ago, abonsa said:

1490 at Bquick

Not all synthetic oils are the same...two different bases are used and also different additives. That is one of the reasons for the price differential.

If I remember correctly group4, group 4-5 and group5.

Normally manufacture will specify the minimum.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, JAS21 said:

Not all synthetic oils are the same

"Fully synthetic" and "100% synthetic" are not the same, 100% costs quite a bit more.

If you compare multiple "Fully synthetic" oils with each other, they will be quite similar. Same when comparing multiple "100% synthetic" oils.

On 9/25/2020 at 4:39 PM, JAS21 said:

No the full first 10K service...I did get 20% off some bits...not on the oil though...but next time I will use Keng Hong Tong as bought Year 6-7-8 warranty off them so get 15%...and it is close to where I live rather than a 1 hr drive on the expressway.

So now I have manufactures warranty up to end of year eight...will be able to sleep at night.  555

What includes a 10k service ? just the oil alone costs around 7000.

• Like 1