Opinions on working at Sarasas Witaed schools

TeacherTommy

I recently obtained a TEFL certificate and am currently looking for a first teaching job. I've seen a few job adverts for English teaching positions with the Sarasas Witaed schools but I found a couple of old reviews by former teachers that were quite negative about the experience of teaching there. Has anyone here taught at one of their schools in the last few years? Any opinions?

Sarasas schools is a large school system and the working conditions vary greatly from one school to the next.   In the past several years, the school system has made many of its policies more uniform from school to school, however, the Director/Principal's at the schools still have a fair amount of discretion in dealing with hiring and working conditions.  

I have known people who worked at one school, left and then returned.  Most who returned did so because they found working conditions to be about the same as other schools.   In my conversations with employees, most of them rated it as slightly above average to other schools for overall working conditions.  

Over the years of moderating this site, there is a tendency for disgruntled employees to be much louder and more likely to post.   Those that are content, remain quiet.  

In short, some of the schools provide better working conditions than others.   

Posters need to keep in mind that the laws about libel and defamation are extremely strict in Thailand, so be very careful in posting negative information.   We do have a PM function if you wish to post information that might not be permitted on the open forum.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update .... you may have noticed that Sarasas is now the subject of an investigation by OPEC, that part of the Thai education ministry which regulates the private education sector. Check out the news  if you want to know more.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, shunter said:

Certainly in the early late 1990's Sarasas was a decent place to work, but as time passed it went downhill and standards dropped and we now see the sad result. The employment of non NES with strange degrees as well well as NES with equally strange degrees aided by shady visa agents supplying visas that in truth were not valid for work permit applications further compound the issue.Late this afternoon a number of teacher who worked at certain schools were told they would be able to collect their salary payment for September in the next day or two, but  it was with regret they will not be required for teaching until told., plus there is it seems no promise that they will return to certain schools. The whole situation is mess of poor management, unchecked degree status, exotic visas and a policy of employing people who have pulse. Indeed sad to see the current state of affairs and the possible consequences for those who accepted jobs in all innocence due to far to many unethical practices, or in plain English corrupt practices by themselves,the employers and visa agents 

Accurate assessment.  The education system provides way more than its fair share of chaos at the immigration offices.  I wish all involved would be held more accountable for their actions.  As long as there are foreign teachers willing to work in grey areas, the field will continue to rot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I worked at a Sarasas from 2008 to 2012. It's a better place to work than a government school, salaries were higher, and you did get payrises. Personally I used it as a stepping stone. I wouldn't want to still be there now.

It's true they they don't attract the best of the west but you could equally say this about the majority of schools in Thailand.

Many teachers didn't have degrees in any subject let alone education. Did that make them bad teachers or bad people. Probably not. But fully qualified teachers aren't going to teach for 40-50k a month. And that's the whole problem throughout Thailand really.

I never had a work permit the whole time I worked there and I didn't want one. 

The kids were nice enough. 

The most important thing to remember is that it's a business first and a school second. Again, this is no different to other schools. 

I'd say go and have a look and see for yourself. You can always leave if you don't like it. 

For myself I realised that I was never going to get anywhere if I stayed, and that's ultimately why I left. I heard that the guy I used to sit next to in the office is still there now. He's Eastern European, limited options and nearly 50. Don't be that guy. 

• Like 2

On 10/1/2020 at 1:46 PM, moontang said:

Accurate assessment.  The education system provides way more than its fair share of chaos at the immigration offices.  I wish all involved would be held more accountable for their actions.  As long as there are foreign teachers willing to work in grey areas, the field will continue to rot.

And there'll be the time when it starts to smell.