Dr. Anthony Fauci takes vitamin D as a Covid-19 preventative

Jingthing

So why isn't this being loudly promoted by public health officials globally for the general public including Fauci in the US?

There is more and more evidence that there is widespread vitamin d deficiency  in the population and more and more evidence that not being vitamin d deficient is helpful in combating cv 19 nfection. 

Yes even more evidence is needed but vitamin d is cheap and very hard to get to toxic levels, so really why isn't this being pushed harder?

Fauci vitamin d content starts at 18:40.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

you follow the news.. I think you must know the answer. 

I do.

Fauci is being sidelined by 45 but he still does many media interviews. 

He has certainly not been promoting vitamin d.

BTW I've been taking it myself now for several months but given I'm in Thailand where there is supposedly no virus I guess that means I've got special urine. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, JAS21 said:

I thought this was well known ... our family doctor ...as we call him ... said take Vit D (back in March) and our local hospital doctor said the same. They cost about 1thb each 20,000units one tablet per week

Which national leaders have promoted it ? It certainly hasn't happened in the US 

• Sad 1

It's very obvious. Vitamin D is cheap and easily accessible to the population. New vaccines and new treatments load in work and profits for the pharmaceutical industry.

Recent studies showing that hydrochloroquine is, actually in fact, effective at treating covid and may be a good preventive are also not getting airplay. The WHO and Oxford studies cited to shutdown research on it used toxic levels of the medicine. Hydrochloroquine is cheap and will not open the tap on government funding that new treatments and vaccines will.

Thomas Borody's push for, the anti-parisitic, Ivermectin as a treatment for covid is also not getting a lot of airplay. He considers it a real killer of covid. It is also ridiculously cheap, which means it will most likely not get tabbed as the 1st line treatment.

2 minutes ago, vermin on arrival said:

It's very obvious. Vitamin D is cheap and easily accessible to the population. New vaccines and new treatments load in work and profits for the pharmaceutical industry.

As I have never seen vitamin D sold as a standalone supplement in stores in Thailand (only with Calcium in low dose) I had a quick check on Lazada. I was surprised to learn that many of the brands available on iHerb are now sold on Lazada.

A lot of people think that if you get some sunshine you will have enough, but to have decent serum levels of Vitamin D you need to expose a lot of skin for quite long periods of time, and the more tan you become, the less Vitamin D you will produce.

This presents a dilemma - a choice between skin aging/damage from constant sun exposure, or no sun exposure and supplemental Vitamin D. Due to the harsh nature of Thailand's sunshine, I choose to stay out of it if possible and get little direct sun exposure. My wife has fair skin and sunshine is her worst enemy LOL. We both take 5000 - 10,000 IU per day. We have been taking this dose (me - 10,000, wife - 5,000 IU) for many years. I remember when my wife first started taking it she had a huge increase in energy. Most certainly she was deficient.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

As I have never seen vitamin D sold as a standalone supplement in stores in Thailand (only with Calcium in low dose) I had a quick check on Lazada. I was surprised to learn that many of the brands available on iHerb are now sold on Lazada.

A lot of people think that if you get some sunshine you will have enough, but to have decent serum levels of Vitamin D you need to expose a lot of skin for quite long periods of time, and the more tan you become, the less Vitamin D you will produce.

This presents a dilemma - a choice between skin aging/damage from constant sun exposure, or no sun exposure and supplemental Vitamin D. Due to the harsh nature of Thailand's sunshine, I choose to stay out of it if possible and get little direct sun exposure. My wife has fair skin and sunshine is her worst enemy LOL. We both take 5000 - 10,000 IU per day. We have been taking this dose (me - 10,000, wife - 5,000 IU) for many years. I remember when my wife first started taking it she had a huge increase in energy. Most certainly she was deficient.

I do 5-10K IU a day of liquid vitamin D and have only gotten ill once since starting. It really is a great immune system booster. I had a horrible time a few years back of getting ill 4 times for 1 month at a time over the course of 1 year. After I started using vitamin D, I had no issues of that kind again.

I agree sunshine alone is not enough.

• Like 1

I bought mine on Lazada. I reckon overpriced compared to the west but OK.

I'm taking D3 5000 IU and also 100 mcg Vitamin K2 MK-7.

The K is meant to counter calcification as I'm taking a rather high dose.

People considering this should either see a knowledgeable doctor (good luck with that ha ha), get their blood levels checked to see if they're deficient, or more likely research on suggested doses based on sunlight exposure, skin color, age, and medical conditions such as obesity.

Any benefit you might get as far as Covid-19 prevention is much greater if you're currently deficient and you become non-deficient, so in that sense checking blood levels makes sense.

There are special therapies for those deficient to get quick results. These usually involve a MASSIVE initial dose and then later maintenance doses. Again, you'd need to do your own research. 

I think taking a good dose for a long time will get the levels up eventually though, but sometimes you want to get the levels up really quickly. 

Edited by Jingthing

11 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

You can get 2000 IUs of vitamin D per day by spending 10 minutes in the midday sun in Thailand - 5 minutes per side so you don't burn and preferably wearing only shorts or less. I wouldn't take a supplement in addition to that as too much vitamin D can be harmful.

The toxicity dose is massive. I wouldn't worry about that too much. 

60,000 IU !!

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/expert-answers/vitamin-d-toxicity/faq-20058108

Edited by Jingthing

5 minutes ago, bellboy said:

Thinking out of the box.;;;

Try eating fruit and veg. Rumer has it that they are packed with vitamins .

"blue berries are packed with vitamin D "

.No need to take pills..

No. 

Getting through diet alone is not practical in the case of those that are D deficient because of skin color, age, sun exposure, and medical conditions such as obesity.

The most effective natural method is of course sunlight. 

But yes it's good to eat fresh fruit and vegetables in general. 

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

There is more and more evidence that there is widespread vitamin d deficiency  in the population and more and more evidence that not being vitamin d deficient is helpful in combating cv 19 infection. 

Maybe more and more evidence that Vitamin D may help combating Covid - but far more evidence that obesity, smoking and laziness doesn't

24 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Maybe more and more evidence that Vitamin D may help combating Covid - but far more evidence that obesity, smoking and laziness doesn't

I don't get your mention of laziness.

As far as smoking, I suppose you're right, but a different topic.

Of course you're right about obesity but related to this topic obese people tend to not absorb Vitamin D from sunlight or supplements very effectively. 

So short of magically becoming normal weight which is something only a tiny percentage of obese people succeed at long term, they along with everyone else can check to see if they are Vitamin D deficient and EASILY correct that with supplements.

It's obvious we don't know yet what percentage of the higher risk for obese people is from Vitamin D deficiency, but again, it's so easy to fix that, so why not?

Update -- I did a quick google bit and probably not surprisingly, apparently smoking interferes with absorbing Vitamin D. So if that is true, it's fair to assume that smokers have a higher than usual rate of Vitamin D deficiency. Of course, they "should" quit smoking, but they could at least easily fix the deficiency issue with supplements.

Edited by Jingthing

4 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I do.

BTW I've been taking it myself now for several months but given I'm in Thailand where there is supposedly no virus I guess that means I've got special urine. 

Given the amount of sunshine in Thailand as opposed to a number of countries where winters can be long and cloudy, a shortage of outside time will lead to vitamin D deficiencies in populations, hence requiring supplemented vitamin D.

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

The toxicity dose is massive. I wouldn't worry about that too much. 

60,000 IU !!

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/expert-answers/vitamin-d-toxicity/faq-20058108

Mayo clinic exists to sell you supplements so it's not a reliable place to get health advice. Try scholar.google.com to read some medical studies on the topic.

• Haha 1

Vitamin D definitely seem to help from what I have read.  As you get older you supposedly can't produce as much of it through your skin so even if it's summer or you are in a place like Thailand it's not a bad idea to take supplements from what I have read.  I think just taking a mulitvitamin is more than enough for the D and zinc and vitamin C you need etc., in addition to a balanced diet of course. 

Too many people wrongly think more is better with vitamins and just end up literally pissing their money away or even worse if they take too much.

Edited by shdmn

4 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I don't get your mention of laziness.

As far as smoking, I suppose you're right, but a different topic.

Of course you're right about obesity but related to this topic obese people tend to not absorb Vitamin D from sunlight or supplements very effectively. 

So short of magically becoming normal weight which is something only a tiny percentage of obese people succeed at long term, they along with everyone else can check to see if they are Vitamin D deficient and EASILY correct that with supplements.

It's obvious we don't know yet what percentage of the higher risk for obese people is from Vitamin D deficiency, but again, it's so easy to fix that, so why not?

Update -- I did a quick google bit and probably not surprisingly, apparently smoking interferes with absorbing Vitamin D. So if that is true, it's fair to assume that smokers have a higher than usual rate of Vitamin D deficiency. Of course, they "should" quit smoking, but they could at least easily fix the deficiency issue with supplements.

Yes Vit D is cheap and the risk of toxicity very low so it is probably worthwhile taking for anyone that knows or even suspects that they are insufficient/deficient.

However while the correlation between Vit D and immune response is fairly well proven and has been known for some time there is also quite a lot of evidence that low D levels are a symptom of poor metabolic health not the cause of it and unfortunately there is very little evidence showing that taking exogenous Vit D can improve metabolism and therefore improve immune system response.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I do.

Finally sourced my Vitamin D in 20,000 unit capsules and take 3 a week now every other day, as prescribed by my Thai endocrinologist, as my levels are just below the range wanted.  Was taking a 50,000 unit capsule once a week as prescribe by my doctor in the States until I ran out.  Problem is the only source for these capsules is through the hospital pharmacies.  Buying a bottle of Vitamin D at Tops, Boots, or the other locations just does not have the efficacy the larger unit capsules have for raising up the Vitamin D in your system to the requisite levels desired.

7 hours ago, bellboy said:

Thinking out of the box.;;;

Try eating fruit and veg. Rumer has it that they are packed with vitamins .

"blue berries are packed with vitamin D "

.No need to take pills..

Problem is that you could eat veggies and fruits all day long and never boost the required Vitamin in your system, supplemental larger IU dosages are required to get you into the range that is required, once at the required range you can cut the IU dosages back.  Vitamin D also can keep the mind fresh as well as reducing your chances for Alzheimer's and dementia.

https://www.alzheimers.net/8-27-14-vitamin-d-and-dementia 

• Like 1