Dr. Anthony Fauci takes vitamin D as a Covid-19 preventative

Jingthing

How is this thread still up?  Anytime a thread is started with a youtube video showing how the world is now dealing with covid better, it gets removed and a warning issued for violating terms of service.

I agree about vitamin D, but I also wonder why Fauci wasn't saying this from day one when there were already studies about vitamin D and covid?  In fact, I started a thread about this and the fear mongers and scared members were replying to the effect " Why should a government tell people to take vitamin D and be healthy" 

Oh the irony in this thread.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, steelepulse said:

How is this thread still up?  Anytime a thread is started with a youtube video showing how the world is now dealing with covid better, it gets removed and a warning issued for violating terms of service.

I agree about vitamin D, but I also wonder why Fauci wasn't saying this from day one when there were already studies about vitamin D and covid?  In fact, I started a thread about this and the fear mongers and scared members were replying to the effect " Why should a government tell people to take vitamin D and be healthy" 

Oh the irony in this thread.

Yes I fail to understand why Fauci and public health leaders globally have not been loudly suggesting that people at least check themselves for vitamin d deficiency and easily and safely correct it if found. 

That would be a more conservative suggestion than to just say that everyone should supplement without knowing their levels.

In the US context though why not suggest that all blacks and Latinos supplement as it is known how common vitamin d deficiency is in those groups?

I'm not going for conspiracy theories on this though.

Everyone trying to correct their vitamin d levels is not a full long term panacea for the pandemic .

For that vaccines will ultimately be much more important. 

But vitamin d along with basic public health measures such as masks are good things to slow things down while we wait.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

An interesting update on this topic. The UK doctor in the OP video shared an email exchange where Dr. Fauci responded to a question about the DOSE of daily vitamin D supplement that he takes.

The number is 6000 IU.

That's interesting because that's about ten times the typical US government recommended dose.

Now presumably Dr. Fauci knows alot about his own personal medical condition and sun exposure. 

So this doesn't mean that you or everyone should take 6000.

Maybe you should take none, or more or less than 6000.

In other words everyone needs to consider their own specific issues in coming up with a dose.

As I mentioned before I've been taking 5000 IU.

10 mins in sunshine a day and no need for supplements. In Finland in the winter when there is no sun people have been taking D for years. It does give the immune system a better chance of working than under deficiency conditions.

Edited by DrTuner

1 hour ago, DrTuner said:

10 mins in sunshine a day and no need for supplements. In Finland in the winter when there is no sun people have been taking D for years. It does give the immune system a better chance of working than under deficiency conditions.

Not everyone is the same. Sunshine or not. Vitamin D deficiency is incredibly common especially with black and Latino people. Obesity is a factor. Age is a factor, etc.