Long stay visa: Cabinet decision today on "premium" visitors who will have "freedom" of Thailand

webfact

4 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

The entire immigration is a mess. If they had brains, they'd overhaul the whole thing now that they have a chance, specifically doing short term (90day), long term (1y at a time up to max 5y) and PR (applications accepted after 3 years). Dozens of countries have it right, Thailand has made a convoluted mess out of it in trying to keep the farangs in while making sure they can be kicked out at moment's notice.

Thailand has quite lenient immigrations rules .

Many Countries only allow foreigners to stay a maximum of 6 months per year

5 hours ago, webfact said:

He noted the devastating effect of the pandemic on the tourism sector. Foreign tourism is two thirds of the total and 20% of GDP and 2.5 million people in the tourism workforce face redundancy if the country is not opened up in the fourth quarter. 

If foreign tourism is now being admitted as 20% of Thai income , they will really be up the creek soon, and if those 2.5 hit the dole queues already million plus  then there'll be at least 10% unemployment in Thailand soon for the holiness PM to try and avoid paying out on.

• Like 1

But I have a visa  with extension based on retirement with sentry permit and required 800,000 in the bank . I cannot come back. Have no Thai wife or kids.   Visa expires in February. I spend split time in Thailand and UK.  So at this point not welcomed on current visa but this  new tourist visa welcolmed..... Maybe I can get that and keep less money in Thailand.  !!!

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

Another half-baked scheme from these people. Let's see what visa they roll-out later this week. Seems like they propose a new, conflicting idea weekly. 

SE Asia not really known for baking, half or otherwise... "The Great Thai Bake Off"? More like "stir crazy fried"

Must admit spring roll (outs) tasty when fresh.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, GeorgeCross said:

so anyone hear of any talk about amnesty extension on today's agenda?

There is no money in Amnesty only in 100 tourist visas. It would be nice if they let the thousands of people know whats going on with the Amnesty as many still can't fly home. It's called empathy!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, androokery said:

Are these the prices that you suggest should be offered?

I don't think @CapeTown is suggesting anything (correct me if I am wrong ) but is the current lowest cost for any allowed foreigner if one wants to go to Thailand (not mentioning the different hassles and hurdles before one gets the OK)

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, alyx said:

I don't think @CapeTown is suggesting anything (correct me if I am wrong ) but is the current lowest cost for any allowed foreigner if one wants to go to Thailand (not mentioning the different hassles and hurdles before one gets the OK)

I just thought the numbers were low, given the stories about how the coach/tourist class tickets sell out really quickly on the flights. Which means non-Thais are left with business and first class. And that the cheaper accommodations are not available when you want to book - and you really want to book something at that point since you have just managed to secure a flight. People also tend to take more than one PCR test, since the turn-around time is 48-72 hours for the results.

I expect the total cost to be more like USD 4500-6000.  

Edited by androokery
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Psimbo said:

Thailand is regarded as a 'developing Nation'- its healthcare, transportation infrastructure, education, communicatios, etc is far ahead of other countries in the region such as Laos, and Cambodia and is well above the carpholes that constitute most true '3rd world' countries in Africa.

None of these are technical terms. The point is Thailand imports foreign currency with immigration and the 1st world nations import foreign labor.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, androokery said:

I just thought the numbers were low, given the stories about how the coach/tourist class tickets sell out really quickly on the flights. Which means non-Thais are left with business and first class. And that the cheaper accommodations are not available when you want to book - and you really want to book something at that point since you have just managed to secure a flight. People also tend to take more than one PCR test, since the turn-around time is 48-72 hours for the results.

I expect the total cost to be more like USD 4500-6000.  

From my friends’ experience the cost quoted is correct. They have secured a repatriation flight for the end of the month. The only difference would be the hotel ( 32000 Baht is the cheapest option ) which you have to have confirmed prior to ask for repatriation