Long stay visa: Cabinet decision today on "premium" visitors who will have "freedom" of Thailand

webfact

34 minutes ago, genericptr said:

But Thailand is a 3rd world country which foreigners enjoy because it's cheap and easy living. The reason immigration is harder in other countries is because they're trying to keep OUT poorer people (like Thais) which are coming to work and make more money then they could back home. Essentially, Thailand is importing foreign currency and European countries are importing foreign labor. The calculation for immigration is completely different.

The Thai government seems to think because they've imported some fancy cars and Starbucks that now they're comparable to European countries. I think however they're seriously mistaken and they'll find out whitey simply will not come back to Thailand if they make it too difficult for us.

i think you'll find a hell of a lot of long stay tourists are coming here to "work and making more money than they could back home" as well - thats why remote working is so popular - no global tax (*cough), flexible hours, nice views..

agree with the last bit though

• Like 1

Watching the news it looks like October 1st Tourism will be restarted.  Waiting to hear the rest of the requirements.

Well Channel 3 was not very informative with what the program will require.  Now to await an official release I suppose with all details.

Edited by ThailandRyan

Nobody will pay to come on a overpriced flight where the people on con air had better service, pay for overpriced COVID insurance , COVID tests and be locked in a room for two weeks ! Unless they are very desperate to return or money to burn .

The Thai government really do still believe they have the best place in the world for tourists , beaches etc but in reality if they took 5 minutes to look on the internet they would see they are being left behind !

Why   not  just give up  

Who  want to come to  visit  with all the  red  tape and  inconvenience  anyway

Thai  Gov think Thailand is God  gift to tourists  ...they  are in for a huge  shock  

Tourism for Tahiland  has  died   so  start   think of  new  ways to  get  economy  going (work  good  idea ...lol)

North  Korea  sell   drugs    they  make end  meet

But  compettion with drug lords  in  Thailand  will need  the Army to help 

That  will be a bit  messy 

Good  Luck Thailand 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, meechai said:

That is the kicker isn't it?

To be honest I wouldn't want it even if free. I cannot imagine staying in any room for 14 days.

I guess if I had prison experience maybe I could handle it but I don't ????

Actually that may be the one carrot Thailand will eventually have to hang for those that can handle 14 days in a room

Offer it free....Hotels could offer the room for free & then soak customers on the extras not unlike Vegas does with the gambling.

Thai hotels could offer free 14 day room but charge for meals, min 3x a day....mandatory nurse visits/checks etc etc????

But again even free not for me thanks

Any tourist would be paying for a hotel during the first two weeks anyway, and if I understand correctly they are only confined to the room for the first five days until a test is clear. The main difference with this plan is that it would to some extent dictate where they stay (like when I went to Russia back in the early 70s - done through an agent and the hotel was allocated). Thailand turns back the clock once again - first it's no internet alcohol ordering, now....

7 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

It sounds promising for those that have residences here or those with family, however, the insistence of a 14 day ASQ hotel will be an expensive proposition for those who could just go to there homes here.  In saying expensive I mean it is obvious to me that these are VIP long term stay folks who have money.  My bet is that to obtain one of these types of Visa you will need to show plenty of money in the bank for them to grant it.  I also wonder what other conditions for approval might be, but any speculation on that by me would be just that speculation, so lets wait and see what they decide.  Many snowbirds want to return, while a few I know have now bought in Palm Springs California in the Del Web communities.

More than enough Time Shares Etc in the Canary Isles for the Snow Birds.

2 hours ago, vandeventer said:

There is no money in Amnesty only in 100 tourist visas. It would be nice if they let the thousands of people know whats going on with the Amnesty as many still can't fly home. It's called empathy!!!

They have been very generous since end of March. 

Now it is time for the hangers on to leave on one of the many departing flights daily.  

7 hours ago, GeorgeCross said:

so anyone hear of any talk about amnesty extension on today's agenda?

Maybe on October could be possible to switch to these Special Visa for the "Sranded" foreigners and the thousends that will be left without a job in case the real tourists would not come back. Untill now my filipinos colligues had to leave the country after beeing fired, working 12 years in Thailand, paying the SSO every month and they are not able to get a single baht even if they have the right because you need to go fisically to the SSO office.... You have the right to be unemployed and to recieve compensation for 6 months but you don't have the right for a visa... 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

The only stupid reaction here it's your

if you think the matter doesn't worth to be discussed

why you don't complain to Webfact who has created this topic

and open it at the discussion? (The discussion including of course your stupid reaction)

So, it is? Why is it that no one have said, let´s wait and see what happens then? Just complaining and degrading something you know nothing about. You do know it´s possible to have a positive discussion too. Just that it´s very rare among the bored expats on Thai Visa.

Edited by Matzzon

21 minutes ago, zzzzz said:

from Richard Barrow;

What airline will fly in with less than 100 people?
Will they run a lottery as to which airlines can fly every other day?

Only fly into Bangkok and quarantine in a Bangkok Hotel?

Phuket is a no go now?

How many "tourists" will wish  a 3 month holiday when the average stay is still less than 30 days

Sorry, cant see this working

Obviously a last gasp attempt to entice long stay Snow Birds to Thailand for the Winter.

Good idea in theory, but in practice a non started me thinks.

If I was a Snow Bird, I would over Winter in some Southern European  Location this Year, and wait to see if Travel Restrictions and costs become less of an obstacle to a Holiday in LOS for the next year.

35 minutes ago, zzzzz said:

from Richard Barrow;

What airline will fly in with less than 100 people?
Will they run a lottery as to which airlines can fly every other day?

Only fly into Bangkok and quarantine in a Bangkok Hotel?

Phuket is a no go now?

How many "tourists" will wish  a 3 month holiday when the average stay is still less than 30 days

Sorry, cant see this working

I guess they’re limiting the numbers because they haven’t sorted out the quarantine hotels and hospitals. And it doesn’t seem likely they can scale that solution up to the level where they can have the number of tourists they need. 

3 hours ago, androokery said:

As a comparison, isn't neighbouring Cambodia currently saying that tourists can enter if they deposit USD 3000?

They went already down to 2000 US deposit. Hotel 30 US a day for a room + 30 US for 3 meals. Covid test 100 US. You get a 1 month visa from the embassy, when you are there can convert to 1 year business visa for 240 US if done alone, 300 US with agency ( next day you get the passport with no hassle at all)....Instead of inventing brilliant inventions the government could just look to their neighbours what they are doing and COPY please...

cambvis.jpg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, David90 said:

They went already down to 2000 US deposit. Hotel 30 US a day for a room + 30 US for 3 meals. Covid test 100 US. You get a 1 month visa from the embassy, when you are there can convert to 1 year business visa for 240 US if done alone, 300 US with agency ( next day you get the passport with no hassle at all)....Instead of inventing brilliant inventions the government could just look to their neighbours what they are doing and COPY please...

cambvis.jpg

So this might be xmas and new year for me then...

• Like 1

if I were living in Europe, had two weeks or a month annual leave, could choose the destination and in Thailand would have to pay for two weeks in a hotel that I have no interest in, instead of going to Thailand, personally, I would fly to the Maldives for two or three weeks, and use the two weeks of ASQ money towards the hotel bill there. 

Actually, this would be a good time to recover and refocus on the kind of tourism that will be most suitable for Thailand. Mass Tourism is destroying the environment in many places. Also, high net-worth travellers will not want to go to rundown and overcrowded places.
IF the policy were to attract High net-worth travellers, when will the necessary plans for improvements be presented, how will accommodations fund the necessary upgrades? What will criteria be for getting a hotel license or other tourism related service ?
how will noisy device operators and other mass tourism targeted services make a living after quota are put in place? 

Edited by KKr
  • Like 2

Until Thailand adopts a green zone approach for Covid safe countries - there will be a few of them soon in the region - to dispense with quarantine, I can't see them getting many takers.

Europe is already dropping quarantines for green countries. Their increased recent cases are their own returning from holidays in Spain etc rather than green zone outsiders.

If you have a home in Thailand and from a safe country, with tests before and upon arrival, how many will want to stay in an expensive resort for two weeks?

Real tourists might put up with it, but not the snowbirds or half timers. Be interesting to see how it goes.

It is a start and hopefully they next relax for those of us who already have substantial skin in the game.

Edited by Donga