Long stay visa: Cabinet decision today on "premium" visitors who will have "freedom" of Thailand

webfact

33 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

They should not be grateful "because we are altruistic."  That is irrlevant.  We have other options, is the point. 

If we move to Vietnam, Cambodia, Latin America, etc - not good for Thai people.  The govt should care about Thai people.  Take our well-being or motivations out of the equation entirely, and doesn't make their policies any less-bad.

You missed my point entirely.  It's about corruption with immigration - not whether "they want us here," in general.  They "want" those who pay them off, and punishing those who don't increases their payoffs. 

Lose 99 spenders and get 1 more paying-off via agents is a "win" to immigration.  They don't care about the harm done to Thais as a direct-result of their policy-shifts and "invented-to-block honest folks" rules.

The agency system is a win win for all those involved. If you choose not to use it out of fear or some higher moral purpose..That's yourproblem.

• Sad 1

Maybe all this is meant not to loose any expats living in Thailand to their countries of origin because a return to Thailand would be too cumbersome. I for my part stay here in Najomtien at my beautiful condo with sunset etc. At home autumn is approaching and that was the time I used to move to Thailand anyway. If I am not able to return to Thailand after a visit to Europe in 2021 I would consider a very different hybernating and close my condo here. Usually after 3 to 4 months in the LOS I need a change and may it be a cocktail in Singapore or a lengthy cruise. But with the world going nuts about a rough common cold virus costing less lives than the flue, dengue, malaria, rabies, homicide, liver cancer, or traffic, it is very difficult to find an alternative other than staying put.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Sambotte said:

14 days prison quarantine (when Europe goes to 7 days) i guess it's not only you can not go out, but can not have any guest too right ? ????

And if ever one guy in the same prison get tested positive, what happen ? No mention about that, and i guess you are good for 14 days again starting from the alert ? ????

So freedom i understand is said because you may be free after all those privation...

Yeah 100 cobayes is a wise estimation, not many people will want that.

And still not talking about keeping the foreigners already here in Thailand ? ????

Europe doesn't go to 7 days quarantine. The odd country announced such an idea. Where I am it is still 14 days. Some consider 10 days.

Just to add anecdata:  I have no deep ties to Thailand but was planning to try living there from November.  If I can still do that then I’m fine with the quarantine and the cost.  I can’t stay more than 5 months at a time anyway so this visa could work.

However I am not fine with the hoop jumping and uncertainty. This is a great first step, now somebody please sell me a package deal FRA BKK with full insurance and freedom after the 15 days.  I’m happy to pay and I think they could use the money over there. I even find it a little weird the Elite folks aren’t offering this at a premium.

But if I’m still left guessing by mid-October then it’s a Greco-Iberian winter for me and I’ll see what Thailand says in March.

17 hours ago, ezzra said:

What dose it mean "long term tourists" in months or years? and at what point a "tourist" ceases to be a tourist and become a resident?... or is it more visa confusion being brought up on us?...

It is a test program only available, according to article, until 2021.

I am wondering how they will square the quarantine requirement with making the application process from outside the kingdom? I suppose a fourteen day reservation at one of the Alternative  Quarantime Hotels would be an additional requirement.

Expensive proposition all round.

17 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Oooh! Again we have the stupid reactions. This is half baked, shiiitee, hahahahaaa and that it is a joke????

What do you people know about that yet? You are the ones spouting your garbage. Just wait and see if it gets approved and until after it´s fully explained.

Sure, it can be worth nothing but you don´t know that yet. 

I give it a 99,99 % chance it is worth nothing.

• Sad 1