Half day ride outs from BKK

revgreen

That's a tough one in a half day. You can do the back roads around Nong Chok to Khao Yai National Park and then go through the park (assuming they think your exhaust is OK) and then either turn right and go through Wang Nam Khiao or up to highway 2, turn left and come back on the 3222.

It's a lot of messing about before you reach the good stuff though. And the good stuff doesn't last that long. 

Probably better to do an overnighter and go up to the Erawan waterfall area in Kanchanburi.

• Like 1

I agree with the previous posters, there are no half day trips from inside Bangkok. A trip to Ikea would probably take half a day.

If you have a bike with which you can cover some distance and you have a whole day, something like Khao Yai or Kanchanburi would be an option.

Thanks for all the answers.

I just got a new bike and am looking to spend as much time on it as I can until I can get an extended holiday from workto plan a proper trip.

A full day is okay too, just something where I can leave around 5 AM and be back around dinner or a bit after.

1 minute ago, revgreen said:

Thanks for all the answers.

I just got a new bike and am looking to spend as much time on it as I can until I can get an extended holiday from workto plan a proper trip.

A full day is okay too, just something where I can leave around 5 AM and be back around dinner or a bit after.

Try Cha'am or Kanchanaburi or Ayuthaya or Petchburi... or even just go to Samut Prakan and the amusement old city if open... 

Nakorn Pathom, you'll be back before nightfall.  Visit the big Chedi and probably explore some local hangouts there. Even Kanchanburi is doable in a day, River Kwai and the town proper.  Leave early, you can cover a lot of ground and avoid the rush hour jam. 

Heck, you can even go to Bangkok green lung (Bang Kachao) and enjoy some nature in the midst of Bangkok without going that far. 

Edited by alx123

2 hours ago, ClaySmc said:

There are attractions around BKK, like, Ancient City

www.ancientcitygroup.net

I think one of the new BTS stations is not too far so that would avoid the traffic and cut down on a taxi ride.

4x charging to see a load of fake building, no thanks

23 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Getting out of Bangkok itself takes an hour or so...  

1hr 20mins: Ayutthaya is a possible option and about 1 hr 20mins from central Bangkok (temples, ruins, temples)

1hr 30mins: Amphawa is another possible destination, not much there though (floating market early AM)

1hr 45mins: The Beach at Bang Saen another location, but its not great there either (Cafe’s littered beach - deck chairs and more litter)

Any day trip ride includes at least two hours of unenjoyable traffic and a lot of lorries which kind of makes a day trip not really worth it. 

If stretching to an over night journey - Khao Yai / Kanchanaburi become viable options. 

Half day is hardly worth the effort; however, Khao Yai is a good day trip.

My wife and I go for lunch about once month. Kanchanaburi works and so does Ang Thong. Good luck!

The area around Pak Chong, which is part of greater Khao Yai, is pretty nice.

Two things: I am not sure if there is another road than the Mittraphap Highway which sucks on a motorbike, secondly, if you are going on the weekend it will be packed with weekenders from Bangkok having the same idea as you.

Nakhon Nayok is nice too and doable on two days, maybe even one day. Recommend you go to Khun Dan Prakarn Chon Dam and stay overnight. Several minor roads to there so you can avoid the trucks and cars.

• Like 1