surviving spouse benefits in thailand

Las week my friend's wife had a fatal heart attack. 

I did ask Thai friends about benefits, but they did not know anything about medical, teachers pension benefits For  foreigner spouse. 

Will my friend still be covered by Thai Medical scheme? His marriage extension ends this December and he will not qualify for medical insurance. 

Thank you 

Moved to the Business and finance section for better answers.

I assume she was teaching in a government school and covered under the Civil Service Social Security scheme?

I am not familiar with the details of the Civil Service SS scheme but under regular SS there is a death benefit as follows:

- funeral expenses according to a set schedule

- an allowance based on prior wage history

Civil Service will be at least as good.

I have no idea re the CS health benefit and whether it will continue as not applicable in regular SS (no spousal benefit.)

Perhaps someone else with Civil Service spouse can advise.

His next extension, assuming no children, will have to be on grounds of retirement and not marriage which means a much higher financial requirement.  Health insurance will be a requirement for extension only if his original visa was O-A.

OP, take a translator and go to the deceased wife's school and see the school director. That person may be able to answer your questions, but don't rely solely on that person's response. In Thailand if you ask ten different people the same questions you will get 10 different answers, and most people don't have a clue what they are talking about. Have the director refer you to the main school board office that handles matters for the schools and the teachers. My step-daughter teaches northeast of Udon Thani and she reports to the board in Nong Khai. I have asked such questions before and got a multitude of conflicting answers. They obviously have a rules/regulations book for such cases, but no one has ever been ever to show me any answers in that book. The answers seem to be stored in somebody's head, and it may or may not be correct. Plus, if they see that settling your problem will involve too much work on their part, they will simply tell you "no can do" and turn you away. Best of luck!  Perhaps you can approach one of her trusted school teacher friends and have her run it through for you and you stay out of the picture.  

Edited by fittobethaied

Thank you very much.

She retired about 10 years ago and they moved to new location. They do not have any children. 

Last May, he had a stroke and will not qualify for new health insurance. I know that they only paid extra for his private hospital room. This weekend, I will ask about his visa.

On 9/16/2020 at 1:34 PM, fittobethaied said:

OP, take a translator and go to the deceased wife's school and see the school director. That person may be able to answer your questions, but don't rely solely on that person's response. In Thailand if you ask ten different people the same questions you will get 10 different answers, and most people don't have a clue what they are talking about. Have the director refer you to the main school board office that handles matters for the schools and the teachers. My step-daughter teaches northeast of Udon Thani and she reports to the board in Nong Khai. I have asked such questions before and got a multitude of conflicting answers. They obviously have a rules/regulations book for such cases, but no one has ever been ever to show me any answers in that book. The answers seem to be stored in somebody's head, and it may or may not be correct. Plus, if they see that settling your problem will involve too much work on their part, they will simply tell you "no can do" and turn you away. Best of luck!  Perhaps you can approach one of her trusted school teacher friends and have her run it through for you and you stay out of the picture.  

{My friend has the same freemedical cover for being married to school teacher, I would do as the above poster says and talk to as high as possible trusted school teacher friend to find out if the cover continues, I don't know about the extension for visa, if your widowed 

If she did not have will then 50% of all assets will go to surviving spouse other 50% to descendants or parents if any. There is quite a long process to get it. 

For social, I honestly don't know but for visa, I heard that if husband or wife on NON-O marriage Visa and spouse dies he/she must go to immigration, cancel it and get extension for like 7 days.  

On 9/16/2020 at 8:34 AM, fittobethaied said:

So what you're basically saying is that he should ask as many people as he can, get just as many DIFFERENT answers which will all be wrong, and that the most valid answer he will get is "no can do".

Did I get it right? 

On 9/21/2020 at 4:23 PM, VyacheslavKHV said:

If she did not have will then 50% of all assets will go to surviving spouse other 50% to descendants or parents if any. There is quite a long process to get it. 

For social, I honestly don't know but for visa, I heard that if husband or wife on NON-O marriage Visa and spouse dies he/she must go to immigration, cancel it and get extension for like 7 days.  

I think  that is incorrect. It is true for divorce, but on death your visa continues until next extension - then you have to change.

On 9/21/2020 at 8:09 AM, Bender Rodriguez said:

time to move - out

the vultures will come soon to chase you away from their property

I don't see any reference to property in the OP.  If the gentleman's wife owned their property and left it to him in her will, he can legally own it for 12 months during which time it must be sold. That gives time for other 'arrangements' to be made, should he so wish.  The 'vultures' don't always get to fly if prior arrangments have been made.

On 9/16/2020 at 11:34 AM, fittobethaied said:

Sure but I would take a trusted lawyer (for the legal aspects and to act as interpreter) to the regional education office, not the local school.

Or do some detective work and find the address etc., of the national head office of the appropriate social security fund and visit them.

15 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

I don't see any reference to property in the OP.  If the gentleman's wife owned their property and left it to him in her will, he can legally own it for 12 months during which time it must be sold. That gives time for other 'arrangements' to be made, should he so wish.  The 'vultures' don't always get to fly if prior arrangments have been made.

The guy had a stroke and can not secure medical insurance.  

Unless he has access to substantial funds, I agree, it's time to move back to his home country.  

20 hours ago, Leaver said:

The guy had a stroke and can not secure medical insurance.  

Unless he has access to substantial funds, I agree, it's time to move back to his home country.  

You may be correct but that still has nothing to do with property of the 'vultures' coming out.

4 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

You may be correct but that still has nothing to do with property of the 'vultures' coming out.

You are assuming he paid for a property and put it in his wife's name.   

The OP only mentions insurance and benefits.    

On 9/26/2020 at 12:12 PM, Leaver said:

You are assuming he paid for a property and put it in his wife's name.   

The OP only mentions insurance and benefits.    

It may be useful for you to read my comments from the beginning. I'm assuming nothing of the sort - there is no mention of property in the OP, then someone tells the OP to leave because 'the vultures will come soon.

I pointed out that there was no mention of property but if there was and his wife owns the marital home, regardless of who paid for it, it is possible for her to leave it to her husband in her will. As a foreigner, he will be required to dispose of the asset, if it includes land, within 12 months.