Cabinet okays 9-month visas for foreigners

Jonathan Fairfield

I think the limiting factor here is the number of ASQ rooms. And when they say max 1200 tourists I think they are hoping for double occupancy in those rooms. If the tourists are single travellers they are probably looking at around 600 tourists per month. But there will be a few couples and families. So maybe 700. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Forza2002 said:

Deputy government spokeswoman Traisulee Traisaranakul said long-stay visitors would have to present proof of payment for their long stay in the country. This could be payment for a hotel reservation, or the lease of a condominium room.

"The target is to welcome 100-300 visitors a week, or up to 1,200 people a month, and generate income of about 1 billion baht a month," she said.

As usual, nobody from the Govt. knows how to use a calculator or spreadsheet. 1 billion from 1,200 people would be 833,333 baht per person!!! Carry on dreaming...

And if I’m right about the ASQ rooms being the limiting factor we are looking at about 700 people per month spending 47,000 baht per day. Per person. 

9 minutes ago, DLock said:

1,200 per month?

On one hand that sounds like a rounding error...but how many will brave the 2 weeks quarantine?

I'm sure there will pent up demand for people that need to get back to family and work, but 1,200 will make zero difference and hardly worth the trouble.

especially if the quarantines get screwed up like they have in many other countries, resulting in outbreaks compounding all the other issues here..

8 minutes ago, David90 said:

So if you have a Thai Wife but don't have 400 k in a bank account you don't belong here? Do you think the only thing people are doing in thailand are money interactions? 

How about the contribution to the comunity?

How about their different ideas and solutions for family and comunity problems?

How about the knowledge they share with other people?

How about the many years they have spent supporting their thai family? If you stay here and care for your family 30+ years is good but if 1 or 2 years you got financial problems, are you supposed to go out and leave them alone? (like you are supposed to always have a property and plenty of good friends to help you in the country where it happened you have born and maybe you have spent more time in Thailand than there).

Your last paragraph is exactly how most governments see it. The rest of what you wrote... they just don't care.

That said - some people planned to spend the rest of their lives in Thailand. Why didn't they prepare for it? It's like if you want to have very nice retirement, but you refuse to save up for it, then complain it's everyone else's fault that you now can't enjoy retirement.

There was a path to citizenship or at least permanent residence to many that came to Thailand while they were still working and got married in Thailand. But with wisdom of many posters here, they'd NEVER apply for PR or citizenship, as they are all worthless, useless, rip off, etc.

That's fine, if they just stop complaining when the tide turns against them.

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

Sorry @ Matzzon I was not trying to advocate for those on amnesty, my comment was directed at those on amnesty that have started the process to obtain there 30 or 60 day extensions.

Okay, then I get it. Sorry here to. That why I wrote I didn´t get it. Normally it´s crystal clear. ???? 

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Ganesh108 said:

Why do you assume people stuck here for months must be out of money? Neither am I nor are the people I know. Actually being stuck we've spent less than we've had coming in. Strange world, innit? 

Ok, most genuine tourists that have been stuck for month on overtime in a country would be. However, there are exceptions of course. Seems like you are one. As another point, the tourist visa is for the purpose of visiting the country, not living here. So, time to go home anyway. Cheers! ???? 

On the other hand. Not to worry, the cabinet has approved the tourist visa for 270 days. So, you are welcome back! No problem, good luck! ???? 

Edited by Matzzon

20 minutes ago, SpanishExpat said:

Sad they haven't learned during the past months! That has NOTHING to do with tourism. I was foolish again to think a confirmed ASQ Hotel + Flight+ Insurance/ negative test etc would be enough. However, as it turns out, it will be the same sh** with waiting lists, charter flights and all those annoying hurdles. 

There won't be any single genuine tourist! There would have been a few accepting the quarantine, but like this..NO WAY. So 100% of the applicants will just be people with family /own condos/ houses there = no real benefit for the tourism industry, apart from the 2 week ASQ.

What genuine tourist will apply for that visa, without knowing if he/she can enter Thailand next week, next month or in 3 months? I know a few Thai people having done the ASQ and the waiting process was more than frustrating.

I agree. IMO this is geared to a select group and it's not your average tourist. The mention of the Chinese covid free zones suggests to me that they will get the lion share of spots especially the very wealthy. But if it opens up more possibilities of people being reunited with families here then that's a positive.. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

Let me get this straight....you are saying that tourists, by virtue of being tourists, must have limited funds.  

I hope your tongue is placed firmly in your cheek; otherwise that is a new low for you.

Yes and WOW! Now we have this discussion again. A tourists means a person that visits a country. Not a person that is trying to live in a country with such a type of visa. That is something Immigration already cleared by limit those. As a general tourist, most would be out of money to spend for tourism or living abroad, due to that they have been stuck about 120 extra days in a foreign country.

However, there are people who call themselves tourists, just because it´s the only chance they can stay in Thailand. Many of those are als working online without a company or work permit. They are not to be considered tourist, they are law breakers. 

Anyway, now there is nothing more for you to complain about. Your chance is here. Take it and stop complain. Now they approved a 270 day tourist visa. Just to go get it! Welcome back. ???? 

• Like 1

Thai cabinet approves long-stay tourist visas amid plans to reopen

By Reuters Staff

jkil.PNG

FILE PHOTO: Empty chairs are seen on a beach which is usually full of tourists, amid fear of coronavirus in Phuket, Thailand March 11, 2020. REUTERS/Soe Zeya Tun/File Photo

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand’s cabinet on Tuesday approved visas of up to 270 days for long-stay tourists as the government prepares to reopen to foreign visitors from as early as next month to help support a key sector battered by the coronavirus pandemic.

Visitors will be able to extend a 90-day visas that cost 2,000 baht (49.73 pounds) two more times, deputy government spokeswoman Traisulee Traisoranakul told a cabinet briefing.

The government aims to allow foreign visitors from low-risk or no-risk countries to visit the country from next month, Yuthasak Supasorn, governor of the official Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT), told Reuters.

“I want to see this happen quickly. I will try to do it in October or the fourth quarter at the latest,” he said.

Several hundred visitors who agreed to a 14-day quarantine will be allowed per month and “we also want them to fly direct to reduce risks”.

The plan is to start with provinces that provide alternative state quarantine, Yuthasak said.

By sealing off the country to all but returning Thai nationals and approved foreigners, and requiring all arrivals to quarantine, Thailand has kept coronavirus cases to just 3,480, the vast majority of which have recovered. The country has reported 58 deaths.

But Thailand has previously shelved plans to reopen to foreign tourists due to concerns about new outbreaks, including an East Asia travel bubble and a proposal to designate resorts such as Phuket for holidays that include mandatory quarantine and movement restrictions.

The tourism-reliant country has recorded no foreign tourists since April when it imposed a travel ban.

The state planning agency expects only 6.7 million foreign tourists this year after last year’s record 39.8 million visitors whose spending made up 11.4% of GDP.

reuters_logo.jpg

- © Copyright Reuters 2020-09-15

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

So there will be a rush from????

1. The unemployed...no money

2. The retired...not much money

3. Those wealthy enough not to have to work......no chance.

The retired have visas already, but aren't allowed to come back, same as mixed thai couples, elite visa users....

There's actually people who are willing to go through the ASQ rubbish as they are living here but aren't allowed to spend their money on it ....

• Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

Your last paragraph is exactly how most governments see it. The rest of what you wrote... they just don't care.

That said - some people planned to spend the rest of their lives in Thailand. Why didn't they prepare for it? It's like if you want to have very nice retirement, but you refuse to save up for it, then complain it's everyone else's fault that you now can't enjoy retirement.

There was a path to citizenship or at least permanent residence to many that came to Thailand while they were still working and got married in Thailand. But with wisdom of many posters here, they'd NEVER apply for PR or citizenship, as they are all worthless, useless, rip off, etc.

That's fine, if they just stop complaining when the tide turns against them.

Pr requires quite a good amount of money. Scoring points for citizenship is not so automatic, School degrees make points and income also ( It's not something for everybody to work on ), Many Filipinos and Lao citizen married to Thai women come here when they are young and with the actual salary is not so easy to prepare for retirements and to meet the such amazing deals offered with PR and citizenship.

Not every foreigner have been spoon fed and come from wealthy realities. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ganesh108 said:

Thanks for the suggestions, problem is I'm on a business visa, which cannot be extended. And I'd rather drop this country from my list than spend 14 days in quarantine just to get back in. 

I strongly suspect many people will think like you. Why can the business visa not be extended? Did the work go away with the pandemic as well? Sorry for that if that is the case.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Well lets see, 1200 tourists a month.  Just the tip of the iceberg.  40 a day, lets see where this goes.  Maybe they should let those here on Amnesty be the first people to have the Visa issued here in the country, as well as letting in all those whose Visa's and extensions of stay are still valid but are trapped outside.

Some people just can't be pleased.

• Haha 1