Cabinet okays 9-month visas for foreigners

Jonathan Fairfield

38 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

That said - some people planned to spend the rest of their lives in Thailand. Why didn't they prepare for it? It's like if you want to have very nice retirement, but you refuse to save up for it, then complain it's everyone else's fault that you now can't enjoy retirement.

hear hear

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

There was a path to citizenship or at least permanent residence to many that came to Thailand while they were still working and got married in Thailand. But with wisdom of many posters here, they'd NEVER apply for PR or citizenship, as they are all worthless, useless, rip off, etc.

That's fine, if they just stop complaining when the tide turns against them.

Indeed. less than 3 years ago, I applied for citizenship, paid the 5,000 baht and did the oath in July, a simple process, esp if married to a Thai. I am prepared for when I retire and won't be one of the moaners.

Most people I have worked with can't even be bothered to check it out -  for some reason they believe the bar-stool myth that PR or citizenship is impossible. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, utalkin2me said:

This is what they spend their time discussing? Even potential tourists wont care much if you have to quarantine.

No mention of extension of amnesty, an actual pressing issue they should be discussing? 

Whether extended or not, can't they just announce it a bit sooner? I do not understand the delaying. 

the fact that they are not discussing amnesty would suggest their minds are already made up on that issue unfortunately. they have already announced amnesty runs to the 26th - they'd only need to make an announcement if they planned to extend it surely?

10 minutes ago, GeorgeCross said:

the fact that they are not discussing amnesty would suggest their minds are already made up on that issue unfortunately. they have already announced amnesty runs to the 26th - they'd only need to make an announcement if they planned to extend it surely?

I don't agree. They could, at least, inform the Immigration, who in turn would make an official statement based on the Cabinet's position.  This is if their intention is NOT to create panic and chaos among foreigners.

At the moment, not a single statement from the Immigration referred to the higher authority which is solely responsible on the Amnesty decision and, as such, cannot be accepted as final.

Edited by Zikomat
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, GeorgeCross said:

That is something that seems more and more likely even though the PDMU said they were asking for e-mails to report on directly to the PM. Based on this, one might expect some kind of  statement.

"The officer at the PDMU that The Phuket News spoke with on Tuesday said that Mr Stoever’s plea had been heard at the highest level. PM Prayut had asked the PDMU to interview Mr Stoever and investigate how many other long-stay foreign tourists already in Thailand were facing the same predicament."

https://www.thephuketnews.com/open-letter-from-long-stay-tourist-in-phuket-spurs-action-from-prime-minister-77181.php

• Like 1

It is a start, albeit a cautious one. I imagine there will be a monthly review with a view to allowing more people to come in the future. How your home country is faring with controlling Covid looks like a critical element in this scheme. How will Thailand define how a country has Covid under control?

3 minutes ago, champers said:

It is a start, albeit a cautious one. I imagine there will be a monthly review with a view to allowing more people to come in the future. How your home country is faring with controlling Covid looks like a critical element in this scheme. How will Thailand define how a country has Covid under control?

Before it was 0 cases for 30 days lol.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ganesh108 said:

Not all business visas are the same. When the company is based abroad, that's where you have to apply for a new one, at least in my case. So after making millions of Baht for Thailand, one has to consider if it's all worth it.

Ok, didn´t know that. Thought a foreign company with people working in Thailand needed a branch in Thailand or a BOI agreement, and that all those visas could be extended inside the country. 

2 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

1200 tourists a month, but retirees etc are still not allowed to come back? .... 

Elite visa has a lousy quota of like 250 a month or so...

Absurdity. 

1200 tourists a month won't make a difference anyway... 

Presumably retirees now overseas could return under this provision provided they are from the right countries. 2 salient conditions not included in the OP, but in the referenced article:

"Evidence of long-term residence in Thailand such as hotel reservation, rental contract in traveler’s name or that of family members residing in Thailand or title deed of a purchased unit."

and

"this visa will be applicable to visitors from countries that have been able to control the Covid-19 outbreak"

so sounds like it is aimed at long time residents and snowbirds who spend at least a few months a year.  Also sounds like it may nto be available in some countries.

"Related state agencies will draw up the final regulations and the Interior Ministry will announce official details soon."

A key question for many TV members will be: can foreigners already in Thailand switch to this visa or do they really have to leave the country and come back in?

3 minutes ago, polpott said:

Or possibly they believe the bar stool fact that you're ineligible if you haven't worked and paid tax here.

Which is afaik correct, how is it possible if you haven't worked and haven't paid tax in Thailand? (for a man, i know that for a woman it's easier)

4 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

A key question for many TV members will be: can foreigners already in Thailand switch to this visa or do they really have to leave the country and come back in?

It's only possible to switch to a non-immigrant visa, i doubt they will introduce any new process to switch to this new STV, and it also doesn't sound like it's possible to apply for these 90 day extensions if you entered with anything but a STV.

6 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

so sounds like it is aimed at long time residents and snowbirds who spend at least a few months a year.

Here the interesting question is: Is it possible to switch from this new STV to a non-immigrant visa, or are people forced to leave after 9 months?

2 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

Thailand does have ways for people to stay here long time.

If you're over 50, you can put 800k in bank account and apply for retirement extensions, provided you keep that in the bank all the time, or at least most of the time.

If you're married, you can put 400k in the bank account and apply for a marriage extension. If you are working with work permit on top of that, you can also apply for Thai citizenship.

If you are partner of PR holder, you can apply for extension based on PR holder.

If you are a parent of a Thai child, you can apply for extension based on that.

If you have a decent job in Thailand, you can apply for extension based on work permit, and if you hold same job for 2+ years, apply for PR. And if you keep PR for 5 years, you can apply for Thai citizenship.

And there are more of these, but all of them have something in common: they are for people who bring value to the country and are not a burden to it. Like every other country, Thailand doesn't want people that will be a burden on society.

I don't understand why people who are willing to spend nothing and do nothing, and are only sitting and waiting, hoping for a miracle, expect Thai government to do something for them, while at the same time they can't find one good word for this government and keep on spitting on forces in power and repeat how stupid they are?

Scrap together whatever is required for extension of stay, or stop complaining and accept you just don't belong here. There are flights out of Thailand every day.

And if you are under 50 and your spouse got a retirement visa in Thailand  you must apply for a dependant visa ... Only Outside Thailand and you are not allowed back in. What is the rigth way to solve this? Divorce and get married wit a Thai so you can apply inside Thailand?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, dbrenn said:

Great. Thailand was flooded with so many tourists that they spoiled what they came to see. Mass tourism was a scourge, and I hope that it's gone for good.

They should make it easier for people with links to Thailand, like retirees, family members and the like though. 

MONEY!!!! and the desire for.....

1 minute ago, Kuzbidon said:

What is the rigth way to solve this? Divorce and get married wit a Thai so you can apply inside Thailand?

Getting married with a Thai would of course be one option, but i guess signing up for a language school to get a non-immigrant visa would be the easier way.

Not long and the first posts will start from those who've been too busy to read the news.

When will they extend the emergency visas? 

Where can I get the cheapest ED visa where I don't have to study anything?

The clock is ticking.......tick tack...tick tack....

Edited by teacherclaire
MTGA= Make Thailand Great Again......
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Ok, didn´t know that. Thought a foreign company with people working in Thailand needed a branch in Thailand or a BOI agreement, and that all those visas could be extended inside the country. 

No one in Thailand is employed by the foreign company, rather it's people like me fulfilling certain tasks in the country and flying off to another destination. And back to Thailand. And so forth add infinitum.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

1200 tourists a month, but retirees etc are still not allowed to come back? .... 

Elite visa has a lousy quota of like 250 a month or so...

Absurdity. 

1200 tourists a month won't make a difference anyway... 

They think all these well heeled tourists are going to spend big. Only problem is half the things or places they would like to spend on are closed.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Kuzbidon said:

And if you are under 50 and your spouse got a retirement visa in Thailand  you must apply for a dependant visa ... Only Outside Thailand and you are not allowed back in. What is the rigth way to solve this? Divorce and get married wit a Thai so you can apply inside Thailand?

If you would never work again and have a substantial wealth accumulated, you can get investment or Elite visa. If you don't, you're not planning on earning money illegally in Thailand, right? So in that case find a job and apply for work permit, and you'll be able to apply for annual extensions inside Thailand. Many types of visas can be converted in the country if your work permit is approved. And know what? If you have work permit, even for the past several months, you could get on repatriation flight to Thailand, spend 2 weeks in ASQ and then go anywhere in the country. Your post is very narrow minded as if the only way for anyone to stay in Thailand was to be over 50 or married to a Thai. That's not at all the case.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, JeffersLos said:

Karaoke bill - 300,000 baht

Jet Ski scam - 200,000 baht

Taxi driver robbery - 300,000 baht

Food and temples - 33,333 baht. 

Very funny! But you are assuming that each visitor only a as for one month.  If they all stayed for nine months it’s 1 billion / (1200 * 9 months divided by 2 to average out the cumulative effect). That’s 185,185 baht per person per month. Even less, looking into the future. 

10 minutes ago, vermin on arrival said:

Yup. Will they tell us that next week or will the details be forthcoming this week?

From Bangkok Immigration phone hotline last week: visas that have a sticker/stamp in passport (the visa stamp, not arrival stamp) can be extended for 30 days at the time. Those that don't have stamp (visa-free entry), need to leave the country before or after 26 September. There are some exceptions, like for medical reasons or no flights available - but these require a certificate/letter.

I think that's the same as what was posted on this very forum, and there was no suggestion of any changes to above coming.

Called for someone else asking the question (who entered half a year ago on 30 days stamp - no visa of any kind - and used amnesty after that), as there is no embassy of that country in Thailand. Was told he would have to find a flight and leave by 26 Sep or would be on overstay from "day that his stamp expired"... I'm not sure that's correct, so I didn't bother posting, and rather waited for someone else to post something. I mean if that were true, then anyone who leaves on 27 September would already get charged 20k baht and banned for 6 months overstay... can't be...

Is there any guarantee it will be extended 100% each 90 days or is it up to each immigration office to approve the extension?

If you did not want to live in Thailand the full 12 months, this might be a good thing for those folks that are retired and can afford to live in Thailand and in their home country.

• Like 1