Johnson lashes out at EU as he clears first hurdle for Brexit treaty breach

snoop1130

Just now, Baerboxer said:

That's a fair point actually. But both Brexiters and Remainers lost all moral high ground during the run-up to the referendum and afterwards.

My eldest daughter was abused verbally and vilified by other students at her university for daring to express different views to the "mob". (She has very different political views to me, as is her right). Those doing the abusing were Remainers.

All because Cameron thought he was being clever and could shut up the Tory anti EU faction.

As a remainer I will not condone that kind of behavior. On either side of the debate.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

If what you think is true then Johnson GAVE the EU the NI revolver. 

He signed the deal.

That's what I wrote. He should have been smarter and either inadvertently gave them that, or didn't notice and fell into their trap. Either way he's responsible and therefore must find a way out. His actions now are his attempts (or should we say Cumming's attempts?).

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

We dont think we are better than anyone else.

We just want to be the same as everyone else and run our own country.

Your country is the UK. And has been for several hundred years.

Did you read the interesting article on the Shetlands btw? Seems their council is thinking of it's own referendum to be free from Scotland's parliament and governance.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, david555 said:

Or even  the whole World …..????

Rather like the French, who still think French is an international language France is a colonial power; or the Germans who believe Merkel leads the free world; or the Americans who see the US as the current world's policeman; or the Chinese who want to quietly do what they want and stuff the RoW; or Putin, Erdogan etc

The list is endless.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, david555 said:

Government is simultaneously trying to head off rebellions in both the House of Commons - where Boris Johnson enjoys a working majority of 90 - and the House of Lords, where the Conservatives are outnumbered by 536 opposition to 250 Tories ????

The House of Lords, can at best, cause slight delay. No veto. The large opposition is thanks to previous Labour regimes creating peerages for people who donated large amounts of money to their party! A relic that's been turned into a pantomime of an old boys and gals club.

Edited by Baerboxer
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

But you English nationalists dont mind telling the Scots what they are thinking eh?

Have I, hmmmm, thought I had only told you you were an anti-British Brit, same as the non-Brits spouting their EU club stuff.....????

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mrfill said:

No, they didn't. In the case of Nice, the initial deal was poor and got rejected (46%/54%) on a 34% turn out. A much improved deal was negotiated by the Irish and was passed 63%/37%. In the case of Lisbon, the initial deal was poor and got rejected (47%/53%). A much improved deal was negotiated by the Irish and was passed 67%/33%. It wasn't a small shift in voting in either case.

Re-negotiation was the key in both events. Not putting your fingers in your ears and shouting "YOU WILL DO IT MY WAY".

Much improved? Wot a larf. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Rather like the French, who still think French is an international language France is a colonial power; or the Germans who believe Merkel leads the free world; or the Americans who see the US as the current world's policeman; or the Chinese who want to quietly do what they want and stuff the RoW; or Putin, Erdogan etc

The list is endless.

That is why we also  have our say ..... what the brexiteers  find so annoying seems …..????

Edited by david555
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Lormak said:

This seems an opportune time to remind ourselves of a particularly relevant passage from one of Churchill's great speeches, delivered on 4th June 1940....

"We shall go on to the end. We shall fight in France, we shall fight on the seas and oceans, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender"

Not really.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

The House of Lords, can at best, cause slight delay. No veto. The large opposition is thanks to previous Labour regimes creating peerages for people who donated large amounts of money to their party! A relic that's been turned into a pantomime of an old boys and gals club.

I know …. but every time they can send Boris back with message to make his proposal more acceptable …. better than filibustering …! And if no meaning , then why he Boris  is worried ?….. maybe about the message who comes out of it to the world stage ….. "you do not deny your signature or break international treaty or  law unilateral ".

About composition  of HOL. you might be right ….. Conservatives probably put their favoring elseward …. "same-same but a bit different" as  we say in Thailand 

1 hour ago, chilli42 said:

As a complete outsider I always wonder why this never seems to come up (the lack of power the UK wields on the global stage). While a member of the EU, the UK was at least part of a significant trading block that enabled some outsized leverage.  Once outside of the EU, the UK really is small and weak.  Just take a look at the global labor productivity rankings ... UK just edges out Italy.  Now to top things off, they want to break the deal they signed up for and alienate the EU, further undermining and making themselves weaker.  As a complete outsider it’s very difficult to understand the economic strategy the the UK is pursuing (the political strategy/agenda is quite transparent).

The referendum determined this course - try and understand the real reasons for the result. Hint: not economic.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Its a few clowns. No more than a dozen. 

The 4th picture includes the burning of a US and an Israel flag. You think that picture is from Scotland ????

New game: spot the stars and bars. Took me ages amongst all those jacks.

Edited by nauseus
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, nauseus said:

There was - a simple common market.

But you don't like the rules to follow in that option …. end line...., 14 days from midnight and further the clock is ticking .

Forgot E.U.'s  deadline for negotiations...? Unless …. 

Edited by david555
  • Like 1