Change visa extension from marriage to retirement

Originally I had a non-resident type O marriage visa (I was under 50 so I didn't get a retirement visa). I had received extensions based on marriage for a few years then changed the basis of extension to 'taking care of child' because I let my bank balance slip below the 400k baht line a few years ago. This is OK, but there is too much BS involved (pictures, maps, daughter has to go to immigration, have to report back in 30 days to actually receive the extension, etc.) Can I switch to an extension based on retirement for less hassle? I am now over 50 and have had more than 800k baht in a Thai bank for well over 6 months. Thank you!

Edited by TT2

You can change the reason for your extension for being the parent of a Thai to retirement near the end of your current extension.

The new extension will start from the day you apply since they consider it equal to a new extension application.

Hmmmm...am I doing the right thing here? Obviously nobody can predict the future, but an extension based on retirement may incur additional requirements in the future (insurance requirements, etc.) that a marriage or child-care extension may not be subject to.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, TT2 said:

Hmmmm...am I doing the right thing here? Obviously nobody can predict the future, but an extension based on retirement may incur additional requirements in the future (insurance requirements, etc.) that a marriage or child-care extension may not be subject to.

Why would you think that, at the moment the only insurance requirement is for Non O-A visas.  I am not even sure that is still required, nevertheless, as we all know the rules can change at any time, so just be prepared.

I changed from retirement to marriage just because I didn't want to have 800K tied up for 7 months every year, which is effectively for as long as you live here.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TT2 said:

We can not predict the future but you always have the option to return to other extensions of stay (only losing grandfathering which is not a given in any case).  You appear to have the financials for retirement so expect you would still be able to meet marriage if retirement were to have a major change.

11 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

His is the reverse of that one though.

That's indeed correct.  Pib switched from the retirement category to the marriage category.

But the reason I referred to it is that CW IO made it clear to him that he would NOT be able to switch back again later (unless having exited Thailand and on re-entering starting from scratch again).

First time I come across such a statement by IO, and I presume the same would apply when trying the opposite. 

Edited by Peter Denis

48 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

But the reason I referred to it is that CW IO made it clear to him that he would NOT be able to switch back again later (unless having exited Thailand and on re-entering starting from scratch again).

That is only relevant to his case and it might actually be true. He has a entry from a OA visa and applied for an extension based upon marriage is the reason the officer said that. I aware of people changing from retirement to marriage and then back again to retirement.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, TT2 said:

There's no certainty either that an extension based on marriage or child-care will not incur additional requirements in the future that a retirement extension will not be subject to, I think!

Edited by OJAS

18 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You can change the reason for your extension for being the parent of a Thai to retirement near the end of your current extension.

The new extension will start from the day you apply since they consider it equal to a new extension application.

Yes, I changed from a marriage to a retirement extension some years ago at the time of renewing the visa extension for a further 365-days at CW. In fact, an Immigration officer suggested it to me because I had more than the 800K required in the bank. As the OP says, much less hassle with photos etc with the retirement extension.

Minimizing the time & effort of getting an extension is my ultimate goal. It's a two-hour round trip to immigration + time at the bank + shopping / eating time (and my wife can make this last H O U R S). A retirement extension will allow me to do this in one whack without needing to return 30 days later on the exact day specified (which prohibits me from travelling abroad or essentially doing anything else that day). I do agree that a marriage / child care extension basis may carry more weight but if push comes to shove I could always change back. Thanks to everyone who commented...I'll get this done tomorrow.

Edited by TT2

10 hours ago, TT2 said:

Minimizing the time & effort of getting an extension is my ultimate goal. It's a two-hour round trip to immigration + time at the bank + shopping / eating time (and my wife can make this last H O U R S). A retirement extension will allow me to do this in one whack without needing to return 30 days later on the exact day specified (which prohibits me from travelling abroad or essentially doing anything else that day). I do agree that a marriage / child care extension basis may carry more weight but if push comes to shove I could always change back. Thanks to everyone who commented...I'll get this done tomorrow.

When occasionally visiting your home-country (e.g. once every 1-2 year) you could consider applying for the Non Imm O-A Visa at the Thai Embassy/Consulate there.

That Visa will provide you with almost 2 years of IO hassle-free stay in Thailand (after which you could apply once again for a new Non Imm O-A Visa when visiting your home-country again).

Doing so there is NO need EVER having to visit an IO, nor for having to park/transfer funds to a thai bank-account.

21 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

When occasionally visiting your home-country (e.g. once every 1-2 year) you could consider applying for the Non Imm O-A Visa at the Thai Embassy/Consulate there.

That Visa will provide you with almost 2 years of IO hassle-free stay in Thailand (after which you could apply once again for a new Non Imm O-A Visa when visiting your home-country again).

Doing so there is NO need EVER having to visit an IO, nor for having to park/transfer funds to a thai bank-account.

But you will require 90 day reports if staying in country longer than that and almost useless insurance policy even if you already have much better already so much less attractive than it used to be.  There is indeed a need to visit an immigration officer if using for stay longer than one year and traveling (re-entry permit).  Most people do not have to park funds in a Thai bank account for retirement extension if having a good pension income - but at best that is a bit of "six of one - half dozen of another" as funds still have to be proven and often good to have local access to funds in any case if living here full time.  No longer a fan of the O-A option. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

But you will require 90 day reports if staying in country longer than that and almost useless insurance policy even if you already have much better already so much less attractive than it used to be.  There is indeed a need to visit an immigration officer if using for stay longer than one year and traveling (re-entry permit).  Most people do not have to park funds in a Thai bank account for retirement extension if having a good pension income - but at best that is a bit of "six of one - half dozen of another" as funds still have to be proven and often good to have local access to funds in any case if living here full time.  No longer a fan of the O-A option. 

It's clear that you are not an O-A Visa fan (anymore).  But imo it is both an easy, totally IO hassle-free and non-costly way to stay long-term in Thailand.

In response to the points your raised, consider the following:

- First year of Non Imm O-A Visa is multiple-entry.  So you only need a Single-Entry Re-Entry Permit when making a trip outside the country during the 2nd year (and you should refrain from doing so when visiting your home-country during the 2nd year);

- No need to park or transfer funds to a thai bank-account, and the annoying need to get hold of the evidence of doing that to meet IO-requirements for 1-year extensions of stay;

- You would NEVER have to visit your IO for a 1-year extension of stay application.  As I wrote earlier, that must sound like Heavenly Music in the ears of those that had some unpleasant encounters with their local IO.

Yes, the now mandatory Thai IO-approved health-insurance policy, did make applying for a Non Imm O-A Visa less attractive than it was.  But contrary to the popular narrative, it is relatively easy to meet that health-insurance requirement when applying for the Non Imm O-A Visa in your home-country (if you know how).

I even compiled a comprehensive Guideline document on how to do it (either using the Foreign Insurance Certificate if you have international insurance that meets the IO-requirements, or subscribing to the dirt-cheapest Thai IO-approved insurance > approx 10K THB annual premium).

>> Those who are interested in receiving that Guideline document, just PM me and I will send over.

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

No longer a fan of the O-A option. 

Me neither. The mandatory health insurance requirement would probably have been the straw which broke the camel's back in my case had it been in force back in 2008 when I obtained my OA visa from the London Embassy - coming, as it would have, on top of the various other hoops I needed to jump through in order to obtain this "hallowed" visa like obtaining a criminal records check from my local police force, a letter from my UK bank confirming that I held an account with them and then getting all documentation (which the Embassy required to be submitted in triplicate) notarised by a notary public (and not a "common-or-garden" solicitor in those days at any rate)!

Would probably have hopped on a train to Hull to obtain a non-O visa which the Consulate there were issuing like hot cakes then instead!

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 2

OA is way too much trouble for me since I'm already in on an O. Parking the 800k in a bank ad-infinitum doesn't bother me and seems to be the most future-proof and simple solution. Anyhoo, I got my extension based on retirement today and it was relatively easy (though the muppets at my bank were trying their best not to do what I asked them to do). TIT.

Was on a retirees visa for 19 years straight. Had to leave in June when Mom died and returned on a visit the family 90 day last week. Have 800k in the bank, been there for years. (Wife can have it when I pass). Don't intend to ever leave again if I can help it (74 yrs young). How difficult will it be to get my retirees back?

5 minutes ago, lou norman said:

Was on a retirees visa for 19 years straight. Had to leave in June when Mom died and returned on a visit the family 90 day last week. Have 800k in the bank, been there for years. (Wife can have it when I pass). Don't intend to ever leave again if I can help it (74 yrs young). How difficult will it be to get my retirees back?

That would be a normal non immigrant O visa entry so should be exactly the same procedure you have been doing for the last 2 decades after you are here for about 60 days. 

You might want to be sure a new TM30 report is filed as being a new retirement extension they might be more interested in home location than previously. 

Edited by lopburi3

54 minutes ago, lou norman said:

Thanks. Never seen the TM30 before, but shouldnt be a problem. Lived in the same apt for 20 years.

I did PM you some info on TM-30.

You will need it for the new 1-year extension of stay application, you will do in the last month of the 90-days from the Non Imm O Visa for family reasons on which you entered.

> To access your PM-messages just click the letter-icon next to your Profile when logged-in to the Forum.

Edited by Peter Denis

1 hour ago, Peter Denis said:

You will need it for the new 1-year extension of stay application, you will do in the last month of the 90-days from the Non Imm O Visa for family reasons on which you entered.

Maybe not. It depends on the office he appies at. 

I have never been asked for a TM 30 report and I am on my 13th extension.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Maybe not. It depends on the office he applies at. 

I have never been asked for a TM 30 report and I am on my 13th extension.

Hi Joe, it will be a NEW application for him, not a continuation of his earlier 1-year extensions of stay.  But would be interesting to know when IO tells him TM-30 not required.