Thailand: All visitors will need insurance

webfact

The Covid-19 insurance policy covers both deaths due to the disease as well as medical expenses for those undergoing treatment.
In case of death caused by the Covid-19, the policy pays for funeral expenses and the repatriation of the corpse or ashes to the country of origin. The maximum payout is THB3.2 million.
For medical expenses linked to the treatment of Covid-19, including the period of hospitalisation (inpatient or outpatient), the maximum payout is  THB3.2 million.

so this "policy" will cover up to $100k for medical expenses PLUS up to an additional $100K for repatriation?  it may just be the flu, bruh, but some folks do get sick AND then die. 

any guess as to how this will affect retiree types returning with expired extensions, having to start over with a visa (waiver?) and conversion to non-O?

assume they will need an actual visa, don't expect waivers to be a thing for some time.  maybe they can enter with a 30-day policy to match their visa.....but then what about 30-day extensions or conversions to non-o?

will retiree/marriage extension guys need to buy additional thai policies in addition to the real expat insurance with $1 million worldwide cover they already have?

Edited by ChouDoufu
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, billsmart said:

I assume this health insurance requirement does not now apply to long-term visa holders, except OA visas -- at least yet. I expect soon, all visa holders will be required to have some kind of insurance like OA visa holders are now required to have.

I think you are right. So does the CEO of a major Thai health insurance company I spoke with recently.

I dont believe that it will be necessary to have insurance from those specific companies in the cartel as up to now it hasn't been available from them and those few people that have entered have done so with alternative insurance. And, believe it or not, travel insurance including COVID-19 coverage is available in many countries. You just need to look around.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

Well it does rather look as if this scheme ( the whole quality tourists scheme) is being created to serve those "of influence" who have interests in insurance, upmarket resort and quarantine provision. Maybe they think that they have identified a "cash cow" in those 1200 potential visitors a month, and intend to milk it.

It will have no effect whatsoever in recreating any sort of tourist industry from the debris that are left. But then, they are not interested in that.

It seems that every few months the insurance thing comes up and creates panic. Maybe it's the SOP for insurance companies to drive up business. I'm not against insurance but suspect there business plan to get new clients.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Grumpy John said:

OK,  the main topic is the ridiculous insurance requirement but I  was of the understanding that inward and outward passengers paid a hidden tax on their ticket which was supposed to cover insurance whilst in country.  Am I to assume that tax is being funnelled into consolidated revenue?

Those are airport facilities fees, not taxes. They don't go into general revenues or pay for insurance (though this has been proposed many times) - they pay for the operation of the airport. Such fees are common around the world, and are often called Passenger Service Charges (PSCs).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

Same, I usually pay around £25 per trip. Just checked and it's around £30 including Covid insurance.

BANGKOK, 15 September 2020: A consortium of 16 insurance companies in Thailand are now offering foreigners, who are eligible to travel to Thailand, the mandatory insurance cover valued at USD100,000.   

The Insurance company as to be on the list of companies accepted by the Thai government at the moment.

• Confused 1

45 minutes ago, 2 is 1 said:

And after , when (if) this covid hassle is over! Getting out off Suvarnabhumi take 5-7 houer when they check everybody's papers! And need extra bag to carry all papers in coundry! Then there is copy machine where people can copy documents cost 40 bth / pcs! Huge line where baggers line to copy! Herd of familys in line whit crying baby's whit sht in they pans! Smell and noice is that kind everybody come here first and last time!

To me that almost sounds like a normal trip to immigration for visa extension, except for the baby part.

1200 tourists a month distributed between 600 different hotels is like a drop in the ocean and will not save the whole tourist industry.

Edited by Xonax
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ukrules said:

The key here is that pretty much every country in the world defines emergency treatment as what we know it - life saving treatment when you're severely ill. Test positive, no symptoms - just go home and isolate for 7 to 14 days depending on which country you're in - no emergency treatment required.

Here in Thailand on the other hand you are removed from society (this is where the $100k is used), and they're going to use it. There's no being sent home to self isolate for 7 to 14 days here, you're getting the full on emergency isolation hospital suite with hazmat suit wearing doctors running around testing you every few hours regardless of whether you actually need it or not. But it's not going to be an emergency = no payment.

You could be in there for many weeks.

This is not speculation - you are NOT allowed to use the UK insurance and this is the reason why.

A very good point. In addition, some policies do not cover during quarantene. Some only cover for state hospitals. Better check these things before signing up. 

Edited by RotBenz8888

Finally - Thailand is looking at high quality tourists who can afford the 14 days quarantine and a USD$100,000 value insurance and of course - who has the time to after spending all the above - repeat paying for the above process when they travel out of Thailand and back again. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1