Thailand: All visitors will need insurance

webfact

According to this article from Thaiexaminer, Krung Thai Bank is suggesting, that the best-case scenario for Thailand in 2021 may be 15 million visitors or 39% of 2019 levels. It estimates that the number could be as low as 900,000 or 2.3%. How much longer will it take, before the whole tourism industry has collapsed? 

https://www.thaiexaminer.com/thai-news-foreigners/2020/09/14/economy-thais-losing-8-billion-baht-a-day-closed-tourism/

Edited by Xonax
  • Like 2

See now everybody have something else to have problem with. If one wish to come to Thailand, then one have to live up to the requirements. Seems to me that it ain´t many ones that wish to come to Thailand, just many ones that wish to put everything down and complain. Congratulations to you all!

• Like 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 2

what is the matter with these people?a country that doesnt test its population,its very hard to get a test and expensive too.why ins,no other country wants that.?i wish to get out of here but hk and taiwan arnt open right now.this has gone on way too long.look at sweden its ok there but the msm have shut up about that.when it does open here theres no immunity so.....

• Confused 1

'All visitors will need insurance'

so any arrival will need to show insurance that covers COVID.

If you already have insurance that includes COVID cover you should be fine. 

any arrival without cover will have to purchase a policy from one of the Thai consortium.  imo

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Grumpy John said:

OK,  the main topic is the ridiculous insurance requirement but I  was of the understanding that inward and outward passengers paid a hidden tax on their ticket which was supposed to cover insurance whilst in country.  Am I to assume that tax is being funnelled into consolidated revenue?

The 700 THB PSC (Itemized on all air tickets, not hidden) was never meant to cover medical insurance.

There was some talk of incerasing this by 100 THB, and funneling some into the hospital slush fund.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Shey420 said:

They do get it. This is why their plan is to only have one to three flights per week. 1200 per month.

Quilty tourist is what they been pushing since talks of reopening started.

They can definitely get 1200 people per month with this new scheme. 

They can definitely get those numbers every month for the foreseeable future. While added more flights and more asq hotels and visitors.

This is their ultimate plan.

The question is can they hit there money goals while in this scheme. While every other business around them go under. I doubt that but it seems they are willing to have that collateral damage. 

And not forgetting in consideration there shall be anyway so now and then some infections anyway coming in ...

With consequenses big or small ,unless Thailand is "special "...not  "Amazing " only anymore ....

The total lock of the country "is/was" the reason of almost no C19 cases comparing Western country's

They have to make  a terrible choise choosing between the cholera or the plague (eg. Destroying the economy..)

1 hour ago, billsmart said:

I assume this health insurance requirement does not now apply to long-term visa holders, except OA visas -- at least yet. I expect soon, all visa holders will be required to have some kind of insurance like OA visa holders are now required to have.

that is covered with a mandatory balance in a Thai bank as explained by an IO last year

• Like 1

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

Shouldn't that have always been the case? It took corona to wake them up?

If tourists can't afford travel insurance they can't afford to travel, IMO.

Yes it has been a long time coming & all the "Go Fund ME" cries for help of recent years didn't help

3 hours ago, Shey420 said:

They do get it. This is why their plan is to only have one to three flights per week. 1200 per month.

Quilty tourist is what they been pushing since talks of reopening started.

They can definitely get 1200 people per month with this new scheme. 

They can definitely get those numbers every month for the foreseeable future. While added more flights and more asq hotels and visitors.

This is their ultimate plan.

The question is can they hit there money goals while in this scheme. While every other business around them go under. I doubt that but it seems they are willing to have that collateral damage. 

And not forgetting in consideration there shall be anyway so now and then some infections anyway coming in ...

With consequenses big or small ,unless Thailand is "special "...not  "Amazing " only anymore ....

The total lock of the country "is/was" the reason of almost no C19 cases comparing Western country's

They have to make  a terrible choise choosing between the cholera or the plague (eg. Destroying the economy..)

1 minute ago, AbeNormal said:

that is covered with a mandatory balance in a Thai bank as explained by an IO last year

Not really....Truth is the way it is now the removal of funds at certain times of year automatically

puts your visa at risk....catch 22

1 hour ago, stereolab said:

Good luck trying to prove you have coverage while standing at the Immigration arrivals hall at Swampy.

The issuance of your CoE and visa will be contingent upon having an acceptable insurance policy in hand.

And you're not getting on a plane without those, so no worries about Immigration.

4 hours ago, AgentSmith said:

I agree. My worldwide insurance policy covers me up to 2 million euros, 100% in and out patient, and covid-19 coverage is included. I sure do hope they won't force expensive redundant insurance upon us. I can prove I have insurance and that should really be enough.

But but but - we don't read English; we want a Thai insurance. Quipping for a friend.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, jackdd said:

I hope you don't complain if one day they should decide to enforce this insurance requirement also when applying for an extension, for all kinds of visas, and not only when entering the country.

Why in the world would I complain about that? I already have insurance that more than meet the small requirements they have. You know, that is one way to show that you are aware and understand that you need protection in a foreign country. Actually I´ve gone one step further. My wife and two daughters also have very good insurances.

How is it with your protection? You seem to be the one complaining. Cheers!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

The issuance of your CoE and visa will be contingent upon having an acceptable insurance policy in hand.

And you're not getting on a plane without those, so no worries about Immigration.

One has to wonder if they will order embassies to only issue visas to people with insurance, or just make them pay on arrival. Same with airlines- only allow people with insurance to board.

• Like 1

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

None of that affects us that loved Thailand warts and all.

It took immigration to change my mind about staying. I guess they really don't want farangs that stay longer than necessary to part with all our money.

Sure it needs to be remembered Thailand got popular during the Vietnam war as it served as a major R&R spot

Later why did many go to Thailand? Dollar/Pound/Euro went further is why & folks concerned with that are not the wealthy well heeled folks

• Like 1