Thailand: All visitors will need insurance

webfact

6 hours ago, webfact said:

All visitors will need insurance

6 hours ago, webfact said:

A consortium of 16 insurance companies in Thailand are now offering foreigners, who are eligible to travel to Thailand, the mandatory insurance cover valued at USD100,000.      

Isn't this Nice to Offer an Insurance.

This is Major Money Scam from Los. Everything Is an Emergency here even If they think that one has been in the Same City as a Positive Virus Person .

That just means that one can't use Most If Any Outside  Los Insurance.

Then they've got you ,they will Bleed you and Your Insurance Bone  Dry. 

Hi All

Regarding the insurance issue, I have not seen or read anything regarding if you are covered by the Thai government insurance.

If you are married to a government officer, you are cover on his or her government insurance and you was/ are accidently caught being stuck outside thailand. 

Would you still have to buy  insurance to get back into Thailand? Has anyone have/had any experience of this?

8 minutes ago, JusticeGB said:

Thai companies won't insure anyone over 75 but overseas companies will. So if it is made compulsory to get Thai insurance no one over 75 will be able to come to Thailand again. 

Not true but retirees will be forced to leave. There will always be limited group tours for with prepackaged itineraries sold with insurance to allow the busloads to return, Allowances will be made for the likes who already have Japanese staff liason girls and insurance reception counters at major hospitals. It is the white westerner who will be forced to leave his family and home.  covid-19 is the harbinger of the final nail in the coffin for retirement in Thailand, inability to obtain medical Insurance cover.  The only hope is if insurance mandates are not extended to include Thailand Elite.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Dice Man said:

yes...thats the question -can 1200 people every month or even 5000 a month hit any targets?

There won't be any common tourists using this scheme. A couple for example, after quarantined in a Phuket hotel for 14 days where the cost probably will be skyhigh together with the Thai insurance, the total cost might be up to ฿150,000 or more depending on where they come from. That's without even having started the vacation. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Are you sure about that? IMO it only became popular when mass air travel started and that was after the Vietnam war was long over.

A few hippies on the trail don't make a place popular.

Several from my village in Yorkshire were coming here since early 80's. Like other parts of Asia, tourism took a hit with the Asian financial crisis in the late 90's.

3 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

It doesn't matter where you come from, you still have to sit in quarantine for exactly same amount of time. Everybody is in the same boat. You didn't think about that, did you? 

That's not what I was talking about.

If you don't test negative you won't get on the plane. It's really simple.

is what I quoted. I didn't quote anything about quarantine, and yes I do know about quarantine.

This will still send 99% of all tourist businesses into the dumper. Backpackers feed a certain type of business and same as such for other travelers. This having to use their domestic insurance providers is a scam. I wonder who is connected to these companies?

Edited by holy cow cm
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, sandyf said:

Several from my village in Yorkshire were coming here since early 80's. Like other parts of Asia, tourism took a hit with the Asian financial crisis in the late 90's.

My money went from 45 baht to the pound to 99 to the pound. Inflation didn't happen till years later. It was brilliant being a tourist after the crisis.

30 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Why in the world would I complain about that? I already have insurance that more than meet the small requirements they have. You know, that is one way to show that you are aware and understand that you need protection in a foreign country. Actually I´ve gone one step further. My wife and two daughters also have very good insurances.

How is it with your protection? You seem to be the one complaining. Cheers!

As another poster pointed out on page 1 already, the problem which could occur is that any regular insurance (which i have, thanks for asking) might refuse to pay for you being in an intensive care quarantine ward for multiple weeks, even though you don't show any symptoms.

So there are people who have a perfectly fine insurance under normal circumstances, but Thailand's paranoia is forcing them to get an additional insurance. You wouldn't mind if you have to pay an additional 40k per year for such a Thai government approved Covid insurance?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, holy cow cm said:

This an will still send 99% of all tourist businesses into the dumper. Backpackers feed a certain type of business and same as such for other travelers. 

Might even kill off the guest house business in Chiang Mai, which was already hurting from idiotic government regulations. Loads were closed couple of years ago.

7 minutes ago, sandyf said:

LOS in the 80s was an exotic paradise. It's not now. The lustre of paradise left LOS long ago along with the smile.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Gary Maneval said:

This makes no sense to me.  I am an American.  I am retired military.  I have Medicare and Tri Care for Life.  Why would I want to buy some outrageous policy when and if I am only going to be there for six months.  At any rate, can anyone here tell me how to get ahold of these "insurance companies" so I can get a quote?  I still don't get how they think someone is going to vacation in Thailand under these Financially stupid requirements to include 2 weeks quarantine at our own expense!!!!!  who do they think they are kidding/???????

Medicare won’t cover you overseas. I believe Tricare has overseas plans. You should contact them.

I think all seniors and anyone with medical conditions should get travel insurance with medical when they go on vacation. Everyone probably should.

and... Thanks for your service!

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, hioctane said:

Isn’t that because the European tax payers pay a <deleted> load of taxes and will foot the bill? Nothing is ever “free!”

No,unless your home country has reciprocal health rights with the country you are visiting you will foot the bill. 

7 minutes ago, jackdd said:

As another poster pointed out on page 1 already, the problem which could occur is that any regular insurance (which i have, thanks for asking) might refuse to pay for you being in an intensive care quarantine ward for multiple weeks, even though you don't show any symptoms.

So there are people who have a perfectly fine insurance under normal circumstances, but Thailand's paranoia is forcing them to get an additional insurance. You wouldn't mind if you have to pay an additional 40k per year for such a Thai government approved Covid insurance?

I would not, due to that there are insurance available for only 50 USD per month. Not a biggy! Any more problems I can assist with?

Edited by Matzzon
  • Confused 1

28 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

Every foreigner need to be tested before departure, so how can there be high or low risk countries?? If you don't test negative you won't get on the plane. It's really simple. That's what you should think about when reading the article. This is just another insurance scam when we know that every tourist can get a much cheaper insurance at home. 

Strangely enough, I've made that same point before on a seperate post.

But yes, defintely a scam

4 minutes ago, jackdd said:

refuse to pay for you being in an intensive care quarantine ward for multiple weeks, even though you don't show any symptoms

Nothing to do with the headline ...  that's a completely different issue.

ARRIVALS at the airport,  do you have insurance that states you are covered for COVID19 virus ...  yes or no ?

If no .....  go to the Thai insurance que please ....   If yes, show the word COVID covered on the policy and move forward.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, ukrules said:

The key here is that pretty much every country in the world defines emergency treatment as what we know it - life saving treatment when you're severely ill. Test positive, no symptoms - just go home and isolate for 7 to 14 days depending on which country you're in - no emergency treatment required.

Here in Thailand on the other hand you are removed from society (this is where the $100k is used), and they're going to use it. There's no being sent home to self isolate for 7 to 14 days here, you're getting the full on emergency isolation hospital suite with hazmat suit wearing doctors running around testing you every few hours regardless of whether you actually need it or not. But it's not going to be an emergency = no payment.

You could be in there for many weeks.

This is not speculation - you are NOT allowed to use the UK insurance and this is the reason why.

That's a good point. I think you've come up with something, and I've shared the link to your post.

3 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

As a "tourist" that has lived here for 15 years with my wife and son ,in our own home ,if next year i go back to the UK for a holiday ,wonder if i will be expected to get insurance on coming back?

Maybe, if on a 3+3+3 visa.

15 years on a tourist visa is a long time.

Edited by checkered flag

6 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

So if I have a comprehensive policy already, including Covid insurance, I have to purchase again ?

"If the traveller is from a high-risk country, the insurance premium could be as high as THB43,200".

Assuming UK is high-risk then that's over £1000 !

SERIOUSLY !?

I just checked with my Insurance Broker and Existing policies from Western based companies will be honoured and acknowledged as valid by Thai Authorities.

• Like 1

Well this sucks if it becomes a reality.

I have a very good UK policy but with my pre-existing conditions and at age 65 I am pretty sure any claim I made would not be upheld due to this response to my asking if Covid was covered. I've been happy to self insure if refused cover, but it is still good for when I have my obligatory car crash.

International medical policies

• Medically necessary tests will be covered where the state/government will not pay but you must have pre-authorised approval
  • Those admitted to hospital due to coronavirus will be covered, unless it is due to a pre-existing condition that has been excluded on their policy
  • All other benefits are as per your policy's usual terms and conditions

Basically this means I either can never leave, or if I do i would need to get the Thai insurance (if they will cover me) to get back in. My UK policy does not cover outpatient, which is pretty normal for the UK policies but has £350k cover.

Changing my UK policy at 65 would be tricky, so maybe I will have to look at ditching my long running UK policy for a much inferior Thai one.

One can hope they get nowhere near 1200 per month kow-towing to their ridiculous demands and realise for people to come here on holiday as real tourists, they have to have a welcome mat and not iron bars on arrival.

3 hours ago, OnTheRun said:

BANGKOK, 15 September 2020: A consortium of 16 insurance companies in Thailand are now offering foreigners, who are eligible to travel to Thailand, the mandatory insurance cover valued at USD100,000

I suspect this was a push by the insurance companies knowing that travelers would be required to purchase the insurance.  If the government was really concerned about someone coming to Thailand and the hospital getting stuck with the bill, they would impose a "fee" .  In the past upwards of 32 million tourists visited Thailand.  If you charged each of them 100 thb that would generate 3.2 billion baht.  I would challenge that would be more than sufficient to cover any medical expenses of a foreigner who came here and ducked out on paying their hospital bill.  But this law is not about making sense or encouraging tourists, it is about lining the pockets of insurance companies who probably are funneling a portion of it back. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1