Thailand: All visitors will need insurance

webfact

The solo keyboard (defunct bar stool) warriors just don't get it. Many real "tourists" do not travel alone. They travel with their family as they are all taking a holiday. These are what most countries except Thailand would class as "quality tourists". They take tours, spend money and dont generally get so drunk that they end up in hospital. They will NOT be coming. Its too late in the season for snowbirds as they plan months ahead. They will NOT be coming. The Thai "quality" which are wealthy will not be confined, its against their nature, so NOT coming. That just leaves the same old regulars who will whine, complain but in the end will come, which let's face it doesnt matter what restrictions they put on or how much they charge, some people can't take a hint ????

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Shey420 said:

"can they hit there money goals while in this scheme". 

Sorry to be perhaps pedantic but shouldn't it be "their"? I am not a native English speaker so I could be wrong but I have lived in the UK for 35 years and I have never seen that use while I was there. But I see it nearly every single day on Thaivisa. If I am wrong, I am sorry and offer my apologies. If I am right, I see the problem as a writer making a point and get the reader to wander off because somehow disturbed by something else. The reader thought process interrupted is another way to describe what happens. 

Best regards all.

Edited by Europeanguy
Forgot something
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ajarnmarc said:

This is something TAT will have to see, before they will believe or understand

Oh,  how many times i have thought that ,  in various situations.   It is then i come to remember the quote Crossy likes to use :

" I can explain it to you,   but i can not understand it for you "

29 minutes ago, johnmcc6 said:

So what about  pensioners who are to old to get insurance but otherwise very healthy

Off to another country, back to the small apt., old folkks home or street/gutter in their country.

I would say if you can afford Thailand Elite but I dont think it's safe from the last nail in the coffin for retirement in Thailand, mandatory insurance unable to get for aged.

46 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

As a "tourist" that has lived here for 15 years with my wife and son ,in our own home ,if next year i go back to the UK for a holiday ,wonder if i will be expected to get insurance on coming back?

Yes. I would develop a plan B for your family.

I am. In fact my plan B is now looking more like plan  A.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, baansgr said:

No doubt that would be for the maximum period...a shorter stay from a low risk country is only £40

Exact;y , its for short term holidays not for long stayers ,

Also most insurance companies would get you repatriated when it comes to serious illness and big hospital bills , check out the ins; policy documents

7 hours ago, AgentSmith said:

I agree. My worldwide insurance policy covers me up to 2 million euros, 100% in and out patient, and covid-19 coverage is included. I sure do hope they won't force expensive redundant insurance upon us. I can prove I have insurance and that should really be enough.

Nope - I would imagine that the Thai government approved insurance companies are the same ones as on the approved list for the O-A retirement visa. These companies are the only ones that they will accept...sad but true

They do get it. This is why their plan is to only have one to three flights per week. 1200 per month.

Quilty tourist is what they been pushing since talks of reopening started.

They can definitely get 1200 people per month with this new scheme. 

They can definitely get those numbers every month for the foreseeable future. While added more flights and more asq hotels and visitors.

This is their ultimate plan.

The question is can they hit there money goals while in this scheme. While every other business around them go under. I doubt that but it seems they are willing to have that collateral damage. 

Going forward it seems that all they want is high end tourists who wish to stay in the country for a few months each year....the 2 week sex millionaires of Pattaya, etc are finished which is what they have wanted for many years...

They do get it. This is why their plan is to only have one to three flights per week. 1200 per month.

Quilty tourist is what they been pushing since talks of reopening started.

They can definitely get 1200 people per month with this new scheme. 

They can definitely get those numbers every month for the foreseeable future. While added more flights and more asq hotels and visitors.

This is their ultimate plan.

The question is can they hit there money goals while in this scheme. While every other business around them go under. I doubt that but it seems they are willing to have that collateral damage. 

In the article is written no leisure tourists are allowed. ????

Under which category this 1200 special visitors would fall into?

And btw more importantly 1200 lost souls a month can't do anything close to hit any goals. Even you don't feel this small number economical wise. So I don't get it how you come to the conclusion this would sound like any plan? Even for Thailand it would be poor planning. ????

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

I would rather think it wise to look at what the Thai insurance DOES NOT cover, for example, only £80,000 (maximum) cover in case of death

Most 'sane' travel insurance companies (UK) will cover Covid, including emergency treatment and althought there is a slight premium, its not much.

Unless something has drastically changed there were only 10 uk insurance companies offering Covid medical cover and only 5 full cover (cancellation etc). You would also have to be ill rather than symptomatic as UK Rules pointed out. But all in all, the overall conditions are going to make it singularly unattractive for any other than the desperate to wanna come to Thailand and certainly not going to help address their tourist industry woes. This is just tinkering for PR purposes 

Some need to recheck on any annual policies renewing

Mine has chopped all up front Covid Coverage and the underwriters and re insurers involved cover over 50% of UK policies issued

My coverage has completely gone and no amount of premium will reinstate it. Happy to scan in Email

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, goatfarmer said:

If they were serious about encouraging tourists they'd adopt the Greek model: no insurance and the state covers the cost of testing, isolating you and your travel partners/family and treating you in hospital, if you get sick. In other words, the Greek state is taking the risk.

Think about it. What is the cost to the state of hospitalizing/isolating a few people, or a few hundred, even a few thousand people, compared with the benefit of luring back part of the annual $65 Billion in tourist revenue. Sooner or later they'll do the arithmetic.

As usual the ones in charge can't see past the ends of their own noses (thainess).

5 minutes ago, rumak said:

I have to admit.  Though i haven't even left Thailand in 12 years,  and i have a retirement extension using the money in bank method .............. I am starting to get a bit uneasy.

I do not purchase health insurance from the insurance conglomerate.   I pay for my health care with

my own funds.    Will people like me be the next target ?

I sincerely hope not as I am in a similar position.

I would hate to have to leave here on the basis of just being uninsurable.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, rumak said:

I have to admit.  Though i haven't even left Thailand in 12 years,  and i have a retirement extension using the money in bank method .............. I am starting to get a bit uneasy.

I do not purchase health insurance from the insurance conglomerate.   I pay for my health care with

my own funds.    Will people like me be the next target ?

I also worry about that. I keep feeling like I am dodging a bullet with my name on it.

• Like 1

So everyone has to join the club I was forced to join(I have a Non Imm OA).  So I guess if one has an Elite, Non Imm O Retirement or Marriage then buying health insurance is required unless you never leave the country?  

But it is not great news for me as well.  My current policy with Pacific Cross does not meet the Covid 19 Minimums so I will now have to pay double my current premiums.  Maybe I will just leave?