Mushy peas recipe

Kenny202

Just now, james.d said:

I found the tinned peas too hard, I just use frozen garden peas from Australia I think. add a drop or two of mint sauce Fountain brand then mash it up with a little salt.

I have it with fish and do put some in a ham sandwich.

Thanks so much. I never even thought of that lol. I buy the frozen mixed peas corn and carrots from Makro....I think its called Talley or something like that and its really good. From NZ. I'm pretty sure they have peas too. Yep that will work for sure. Now I think of it I think I have tried those tinned peas before and they are not actually peas I don't think. Might be chick peas or something and they were very hard

4 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

Thanks so much. I never even thought of that lol. I buy the frozen mixed peas corn and carrots from Makro....I think its called Talley or something like that and its really good. From NZ. I'm pretty sure they have peas too. Yep that will work for sure. Now I think of it I think I have tried those tinned peas before and they are not actually peas I don't think. Might be chick peas or something and they were very hard

Yes Kenny, it's Talley from NZ.

• Thanks 2

Peas aside I was in Udon Thani yesterday and went to a little restaurant called the country grill (on facebook). Do sausage rolls (50 baht) and pies 60-70 baht. Really nice puff pastry, sausage rolls are great. I think they can send by bus frozen. No affiliation whatsoever only met them yesterday but great stuff. I ended up bringing 20 items home with me. I make pies etc myself but puff pastry hard to get here now (Makro used to have it) and I can't be bothered making it.

2 minutes ago, Dale75 said:

I use local UFC tinned peas, available pretty much everywhere. Soak in hot water with bicarb for 45 mins. Drain, wash, boil. Perfect mushy peas.

I'm from Manchester and if I don't eat mushy peas at least once a week I'd just curl up and die.

Really? They are the ones I used before. I actually have a tin in the cupboard now but I'll take your word for it. They don't actually look like our traditional garden peas? How much bicarb you use? Do you put boiling water on them?

"Really? They are the ones I used before. I actually have a tin in the cupboard now but I'll take your word for it. They don't actually look like our traditional garden peas? How much bicarb you use? Do you put boiling water on them?"

They don't look like garden peas, they look like marrowfats which is correct for mushy peas. I soak in boiling water from the kettle, 1 teaspoon of bicarb per can. 45min soak.

Much better than the 12 hour soak using traditional dried peas (which are unavailable here anyway).

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

They now sell their packet peas and mix veg in our local big C - game changer - the peas that are sold in other mix veg are hard and dry .. We tried Talley’s the other day, great!

46 minutes ago, AlfHuy said:

Recipe for organic mushy peas:

5kg garden peas

1 pickup truck

1 driveway

Scatter the peas evenly on your driveway, start your car and drive slowly up and down over your freshly picked, organic peas.

After 6 min, they should be ready and as mushy as desired.

Ready to go.

but what about the gravel and dirt that gets mixed in

2 hours ago, Dale75 said:

"Really? They are the ones I used before. I actually have a tin in the cupboard now but I'll take your word for it. They don't actually look like our traditional garden peas? How much bicarb you use? Do you put boiling water on them?"

They don't look like garden peas, they look like marrowfats which is correct for mushy peas. I soak in boiling water from the kettle, 1 teaspoon of bicarb per can. 45min soak.

Much better than the 12 hour soak using traditional dried peas (which are unavailable here anyway).

I soaked them boiling water and a tablespoon of bi carb bout 50 minutes. Still feel pretty solid. How long do you boil them after that Dale? And do you just mash them or use a blender etc? Mushy peas are my life lol

I think I see what you mean now. They come out of the soak still fairly firm but as soon as they hit the boiling water they soften pretty much straight away. Potato masher does the trick. I used a bit too much water and trying to reduce them back to thick now. So future after I rinse and drain them after soaking need to add only a little bit of water when bringing to the boil. (For me a bit of salt pepper and sugar also.)

7 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

I think I see what you mean now. They come out of the soak still fairly firm but as soon as they hit the boiling water they soften pretty much straight away. Potato masher does the trick. I used a bit too much water and trying to reduce them back to thick now. So future after I rinse and drain them after soaking need to add only a little bit of water when bringing to the boil. (For me a bit of salt pepper and sugar also.)

In the UK marrowfat peas are best left to soak overnight in bicarb or if packet peas the soaking tablet....drain off put the peas in a pan and cover with cold water,heat the water until the peas simmer only (don`t boil the ass off them) simmer for 20 minutes and let cool top up with cold water when needed.....leave to stand until your ready to serve and reheat them again without boiling :thumbsup:

Mushy Pea Champion Bury/Heywood and Rochdale 1992...:cheesy:

7 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

Peas aside I was in Udon Thani yesterday and went to a little restaurant called the country grill (on facebook). Do sausage rolls (50 baht) and pies 60-70 baht. Really nice puff pastry, sausage rolls are great. I think they can send by bus frozen. No affiliation whatsoever only met them yesterday but great stuff. I ended up bringing 20 items home with me. I make pies etc myself but puff pastry hard to get here now (Makro used to have it) and I can't be bothered making it.

Makro still selling puff pastry. I'm pretty sure that the restaurant you mentioned gets it from there. Hardly any other source available. Unless they make it themself.

I see that you are in Bangkok, but up here in Udon we have a shop called cheese 2 meet u, he has a Facebook page.

He stocks UK boxed dried marrowfat peas complete with the bi carb tablets and ready made mushy peas at 50b a tin, if you contact him I'm sure he would post you a couple of boxes.

Adi 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Bigz said:

Makro still selling puff pastry. I'm pretty sure that the restaurant you mentioned gets it from there. Hardly any other source available. Unless they make it themself.

I haven't seen it in Makro for a year. Was in plastic....sort of in rolls. Not a huge qty but was very good. Frozen of course. Every time I go have a look just haven't seen it again. I would be very surprised if you couldn't buy it from Bangkok. I just remember we have two local bakery shops I buy my flour. Never even thought to look in there

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Adiudon said:

I see that you are in Bangkok, but up here in Udon we have a shop called cheese 2 meet u, he has a Facebook page.

He stocks UK boxed dried marrowfat peas complete with the bi carb tablets and ready made mushy peas at 50b a tin, if you contact him I'm sure he would post you a couple of boxes.

Adi 

To be honest I wouldn't bother. Providing you prepare those tin peas as described they are perfect. Can buy those tin peas everywhere, even small Tesco I think.

Not a substitute....real thing. Very nice same as you get in the mushy peas tins

I was in Makro in Khon Kaen today and they have frozen puff pastry, both the rolls and the small squares, but it was in the freezer in the bakery section. I found that the small squares shrunk as they cooked and were useless plus check out Villa Market because they are listing 500g Mcgarratt green split peas for 92B on their website. They used to have the Pampas frozen puff pastry from Australia which was about 28cm square and it was flat so you did not have to roll it out, ready to use, but have not seen lately. Villa Markets also have cans of Batchelors Chip Shop Style Mushy Peas 300g for 51B

Edited by Russell17au
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

I was in Makro in Khon Kaen today and they have frozen puff pastry, both the rolls and the small squares, but it was in the freezer in the bakery section. I found that the small squares shrunk as they cooked and were useless plus check out Villa Market because they are listing 500g Mcgarratt green split peas for 92B on their website. They used to have the Pampas frozen puff pastry from Australia which was about 28cm square and it was flat so you did not have to roll it out, ready to use, but have not seen lately

Really? Used to be over near the dairy area in the freezer. I did check around the bakery area too. They did have 2 types. One was useless. Wasn't even good pastry let alone puff. The rolls are great. Can roll them out even thinner too. Must have a look next time mind you the last thing I need at the moment is puff pastry with my ever growing covid gut.

Pampas is the best, but I am guessing from Australia / Villa would cost your first born child

2 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

I haven't seen it in Makro for a year. Was in plastic....sort of in rolls. Not a huge qty but was very good. Frozen of course. Every time I go have a look just haven't seen it again. I would be very surprised if you couldn't buy it from Bangkok. I just remember we have two local bakery shops I buy my flour. Never even thought to look in there

These days you'll find it at the bakery section in the fridge. It is not frozen anymore.