BANGKOK
Kenny202

Mushy peas recipe

Just wondering if any of you guys are making mushy peas for pies etc. I haven't had any luck sourcing split peas but have seen tinned peas here. Maybe cooked down with teaspoon Carb soda?

I found the tinned peas too hard, I just use frozen garden peas from Australia I think. add a drop or two of mint sauce Fountain brand then mash it up with a little salt.

I have it with fish and do put some in a ham sandwich.

• Thanks 1

Just now, james.d said:

I found the tinned peas too hard, I just use frozen garden peas from Australia I think. add a drop or two of mint sauce Fountain brand then mash it up with a little salt.

I have it with fish and do put some in a ham sandwich.

Thanks so much. I never even thought of that lol. I buy the frozen mixed peas corn and carrots from Makro....I think its called Talley or something like that and its really good. From NZ. I'm pretty sure they have peas too. Yep that will work for sure. Now I think of it I think I have tried those tinned peas before and they are not actually peas I don't think. Might be chick peas or something and they were very hard

4 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

Thanks so much. I never even thought of that lol. I buy the frozen mixed peas corn and carrots from Makro....I think its called Talley or something like that and its really good. From NZ. I'm pretty sure they have peas too. Yep that will work for sure. Now I think of it I think I have tried those tinned peas before and they are not actually peas I don't think. Might be chick peas or something and they were very hard

Yes Kenny, it's Talley from NZ.

• Thanks 2

Peas aside I was in Udon Thani yesterday and went to a little restaurant called the country grill (on facebook). Do sausage rolls (50 baht) and pies 60-70 baht. Really nice puff pastry, sausage rolls are great. I think they can send by bus frozen. No affiliation whatsoever only met them yesterday but great stuff. I ended up bringing 20 items home with me. I make pies etc myself but puff pastry hard to get here now (Makro used to have it) and I can't be bothered making it.

2 minutes ago, Dale75 said:

I use local UFC tinned peas, available pretty much everywhere. Soak in hot water with bicarb for 45 mins. Drain, wash, boil. Perfect mushy peas.

I'm from Manchester and if I don't eat mushy peas at least once a week I'd just curl up and die.

Really? They are the ones I used before. I actually have a tin in the cupboard now but I'll take your word for it. They don't actually look like our traditional garden peas? How much bicarb you use? Do you put boiling water on them?

Best supermarket in Pattaya used to sell split peas, not sure about now but I'd assume so.

"Really? They are the ones I used before. I actually have a tin in the cupboard now but I'll take your word for it. They don't actually look like our traditional garden peas? How much bicarb you use? Do you put boiling water on them?"

They don't look like garden peas, they look like marrowfats which is correct for mushy peas. I soak in boiling water from the kettle, 1 teaspoon of bicarb per can. 45min soak.

Much better than the 12 hour soak using traditional dried peas (which are unavailable here anyway).

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Fish Chips and Mushy peas, the dogs bollicks on the way home from the pub

neptune-fish-restaurant.jpg

That looks good. Old school chips too. 

1 minute ago, Kenny202 said:

That looks good. Old school chips too. 

The new Fish and Chips shop in Phrom Pong?