Mushy peas recipe

Kenny202

In Pattaya I get dried peas from an Indian shop at the back of TukCom but I'm sure you can find them in an Indian shop in Bangkok. 

I put all the packet in a bowl add a couple of dessert spoons of bicarb and add a load of boiling water leave overnight drain add fresh water salt, pepper, mint to taste bring to boil and simmer, stirring all the time. When they are soft and mushy to your taste.  Eat and enjoy. What you don't eat pack into portions and freeze. Easy and cheap. 

Lancashire Black Peas and Vinegar (Parched Peas)

Parched peas, also known in Lancashire as black peas, are cooked and served with vinegar and are a traditional treat in the North of England especially when served on Bonfire Night on November 5th. Family and friends will gather around the bonfire to celebrate the failed plot of Guy Fawkes to blow up parliament in 1605. As it is (usually) a cold, often wet night these peas are more than welcome to help warm up cold tummies.

Parched-Peas-1500-58a708c73df78c345b66d883.jpg

7 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Lancashire Black Peas and Vinegar (Parched Peas)

Parched peas, also known in Lancashire as black peas, are cooked and served with vinegar and are a traditional treat in the North of England especially when served on Bonfire Night on November 5th. Family and friends will gather around the bonfire to celebrate the failed plot of Guy Fawkes to blow up parliament in 1605. As it is (usually) a cold, often wet night these peas are more than welcome to help warm up cold tummies.

Parched-Peas-1500-58a708c73df78c345b66d883.jpg

We had a guy travel a fair distance on his motorcycle (adapted) one night a week selling "black peas" in our area,he used to ring a school bell announcing his arrival...my mother used to send me out with a huge bowl and sixpence and always instructed....ask for plenty of juice with the peas :thumbsup:

what with the black and mushy peas plenty of flatulence (apple tarting) generating material for later in the evening :cheesy:

• 10 months later...

Ive Just found this home made mushy peas thread , I see that some one mentioned to make decent mushy peas you need ‘’ Marrowfat Peas “ . I am looking to have a go at making my own mushy peas and came across this at lazada 

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/500g-organic-marrowfat-pea-i2026070248-s6541524111.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.46.1e7d1fffMAcbCv&search=1

I’m now wondering if any one has attempted to make their own mush peas using the marrowfat peas on sale at lazada .

Thanks 

Bro just get the cheap tinned peas here, you can buy them anywhere Makro, Tesco etc. UFC brand I think. About 35 baht? Someone said they are marrowfat peas. They are horrible cooked as peas but mushy peas they are perfect, even exceptional, I make them all the time. Wash peas and cover in boiling water in a bowl, with a teaspoon Bicarb (Baking soda readily avail). After 30 mins rinse well, just barely cover with water in a pot with the lid on, add a pinch of salt and a teaspoon of sugar and cook slowly / simmer for about 15- 20 mins until soft. Keep an eye on them first time you make them. Water will steam off pretty quickly. I add mint sauce to mine as well which I also make myself.

This was a previous posters recipe by the way so all credit to him ????

Edited by Kenny202
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

Bro just get the cheap tinned peas here, you can buy them anywhere Makro, Tesco etc. UFC brand I think. About 35 baht? Someone said they are marrowfat peas. They are horrible cooked as peas but mushy peas they are perfect, even exceptional, I make them all the time. Wash peas and cover in boiling water in a bowl, with a teaspoon Bicarb (Baking soda readily avail). After 30 mins rinse well, just barely cover with water in a pot with the lid on, add a pinch of salt and a teaspoon of sugar and cook slowly / simmer for about 15- 20 mins until soft. Keep an eye on them first time you make them. Water will steam off pretty quickly. I add mint sauce to mine as well which I also make myself.

This was a previous posters recipe by the way so all credit to him ????

Many thanks for this , its appreciated ????

I too found the tinned Peas too hard, a retired Chef  he says he was,   said  mix the hard tinned Peas with a little Milk, having boiled  them  first,  put it in a Blender & whisk for a few seconds, which i did,  and  there u have mushy pea's, taste ok too

Edited by actonion

5 hours ago, actonion said:

I too found the tinned Peas too hard, a retired Chef  he says he was,   said  mix the hard tinned Peas with a little Milk, having boiled  them  first,  put it in a Blender & whisk for a few seconds, which i did,  and  there u have mushy pea's, taste ok too

They are not hard at all, that's what the Bi carb does when you soak them in water. In fact I remember my grandmother and mother doing it with garden peas back in the days when you bought them fresh. The peas in the tin are what you normally make blue blurters with. Very simple to do, had some for lunch. Smooth as silk. Perfect. Here's the proof ????

IMG20210723121225.jpg

IMG20210723121231.jpg