Buying and selling cars as business

1 hour ago, Kendo11 said:

Unfortunately I was manager of Food Factory so no use doing the actual making! Any suggestions of a good business to open? Doesn't seem like anything doing well!

There's information here on what work you can do and what work you can't in Thailand.

As for wanting to open a business in Thailand as foreigner without substation funds forget it IMHO.  

1 hour ago, fangless said:

You are talking as an individual buying and selling his pride and joy.  The op is asking about dealing, which is totally different.

What is different ?.

Why does becoming a dealer change the paperwork requirement for the actual sale of the car ?

1 hour ago, Don Mega said:

Why does becoming a dealer change the paperwork requirement for the actual sale of the car ?

It makes no difference to the "actual" paperwork.  But it does as an excuse for bumping the price up to a Farang! 

You obviously have no idea what goes on behind the scenes the minute a Farang enters the buying/selling car market circle.

9 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Be careful of the local mafia you just might be stepping on their toes, all second hand car dealers are gangsters 

Much the same as UK . 

Arthur , come to mind ..

13 hours ago, Kendo11 said:

Do I need to form a company and register as a dealer before I can do this? Is this a crazy idea? Comments and advice would be greatful received. 

You need to form a company limited, or a partnership with your wife; shareholder or partner capital from 1 million baht to 2 million baht; from 2 to 4 Thai employees, your wife can be one; a work permit. Depending of location you might need only 1 million baht registered capital and 2 Thai employees, when married to a Thai.

There might be lots of competition in second hand car business. I'm not aware if it require some kind of permissions, I don't think I ever knew a foreigner in second hand car sales business.

7 hours ago, fangless said:

It makes no difference to the "actual" paperwork.  But it does as an excuse for bumping the price up to a Farang! 

You obviously have no idea what goes on behind the scenes the minute a Farang enters the buying/selling car market circle.

Right, so other than possibly some Farang "tax" added to the price there is no difference, thank for confiming what Ive already said a few times.

• Sad 1

I have sold 2 cars to farangs who appeared to be in the business of buying and then selling used cars. They didnt buy them for their own use. The had thai ladies with them who i suspect where the ones actually owning/selling the cars on paper.

Edited by Henryford

Imagine needing a new Certificate of Residence each time you buy or sell a car....a lot of time waiting for it to come in the mail after visiting immigration. Your best bet....provide capital and set everything up in your wife's name...and then soon enough she can bring her brother or cousin in to run the operation...oh wait...where do you fit in ? 

Edited by tonray

2 hours ago, tonray said:

Imagine needing a new Certificate of Residence each time you buy or sell a car....a lot of time waiting for it to come in the mail after visiting immigration. Your best bet....provide capital and set everything up in your wife's name...and then soon enough she can bring her brother or cousin in to run the operation...oh wait...where do you fit in ? 

Imagine having a work permit with an address in it which overrides the need for a residence certificate.

Edited by Don Mega