New Special Tourist Visa: A drop in the ocean compared to 2019 as many retirees feel abandoned

webfact

I can´t see the problem here. Now there are possibilities for everyone to come back to Thailand. The question is only how much they want to come back. If want to come back be happy and live up to the requirements, if not want why this constant moaning?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

It's never been a good idea to transfer assets (beyond day to day living expenses) to Thailand.

I've little sympathy for those guys sinking their last dime into setting up a business or house in some Thai woman's name, no matter how 'different' she is.

It's never wise to buy a single family home, anywhere in the world, these days.  You are much better off buying multiple unit cashflowing properties and simply renting your current "home" space.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mlkik said:

As someone who has a non o retirement extention and visited my elderly Mother in the UK early March I have not been allowed to return.

The Thai government rules are that I must have 800 000 Thai baht in my Thai bank account. I have about 1 000 000 .

I bought a new car in May 2018 and I had a bungalow built on my other halfs Fathers land. I have to pay the bills as her beauty salon does not generate enough income to pay for 1st class car insurance and air con electric bills.

I expected wrongly that people on retirement extentions would be allowed to register for repat flights in the near future. 

Some people have said that this new tourist visa will be ideal for people like myself. I dissagree as I have an extention that is valid for another 4 months and a re entry permit. Why should I have to change this and apply for a tourist visa ?

I am prepared to pay for the ASQ and get my covid test within 72 hours of my flight and have an insurance policy that is ready to go but am not considered worthy of return to a place which I wrongly thought was my home.

As someone else mentioned people thinking of retiring in Thailand think very carefully !

You have thai family correct? Why can’t you return or at least be eligible to return? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cardinalblue said:

You have thai family correct? Why can’t you return or at least be eligible to return? 

Because I am not married. I used to be married to a Thai but after 22 years we divorced. Now having been with my new partner for 5 years I am not elligable.

14 minutes ago, curious297 said:

This is proof that no matter how many years you live in Thailand, no matter how millions you have invested in the Thai economy, whether you employ many thai staff, pay your taxes etc, you are just a glorified tourist.

Correct, and it pays to remember that when making decisions about investing.

Having said that you often don't need to be where your investments are if you have made appropriate arrangements.

• Like 1

I still don't understand why this is being referred to as a "Tourist visa".
do tourists go abroad for long stay eg 9 months?
The original wording was
"The Cabinet has approved a proposal of issuing long-stay visas for foreigners visiting Thailand.

Deputy government spokesperson Traisuree Taisaranakul said on Tuesday (September 15) that the Cabinet has agreed to allow foreigners to live in Thailand for up to nine months per trip, provided they can prove they have spent 14 days in quarantine."
then it became called a tourist visa.
Looks like a pathetic political play on words. As if 1200 tourists means anything.

Clueless.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, johng said:

If you have a Non B visa and run a business why are (where) you doing 90 day visa runs ?

I prefer to get out every 90 days or so. I take a small vacation in a neighbouring country. It gives me a change of environment plus peace and quite to get some work done ???? I have a multi entry non B visa for this reason. Im normally out of the country for work quite often so I don't need to visit immigration for 90 day reporting as I have 90 days every time I leave the Thailand.

40 minutes ago, curious297 said:

Here is my take on this topic

• I've lived in Thailand for over 16 years. Fully compliant with a Non B Working Visa which is was just renewed and valid until late 2021.
  • I have a business which before Covid was worth in the region of 60 Million THB.
  • Employ over 15 Thai staff

Considering all this, why exactly don't you have a work permit? 

1 hour ago, Ratcher said:

Well that's your view. Many foreigners currently in Thailand on long stay visa extentions based on marriage or "retirement" don't share it. Fact is the writing was on the wall early March. It was evident then that people would get locked out of Thailand if they didn't return quickly. Same old drivel has been spouted by many on this forum every other day about how bad Westerners are treated here. If you don't like it vote with your feet. 

We all made our choice of being here retired ect in Thailand come the bad or good 

Agree with above statement I for one will not be going any where 

As no doubt will others

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

Considering all this, why exactly don't you have a work permit? 

Curious wrote:

"Immigration know I have lived here for almost 20 years. Myself and immigration have a full history of my yearly visas, work permit renewals, 90 day re-entry visa stamps etc, yet I am still just a tourist."

I mentioned at least 4 times my Non B Visa

Non-Immigrant B Visa (Employment)

Foreigners who intend to work in Thailand should apply for an initial 90-Day Non-Immigrant B visa from their home country under employment category. ... 90-day reporting to any Thai Immigration Office is required to the visa holder under this category.

Please pay attention in class, thank you ????

• Like 1