New Special Tourist Visa: A drop in the ocean compared to 2019 as many retirees feel abandoned

webfact

3 hours ago, mlkik said:

As someone who has a non o retirement extention and visited my elderly Mother in the UK early March I have not been allowed to return.

The Thai government rules are that I must have 800 000 Thai baht in my Thai bank account. I have about 1 000 000 .

I bought a new car in May 2018 and I had a bungalow built on my other halfs Fathers land. I have to pay the bills as her beauty salon does not generate enough income to pay for 1st class car insurance and air con electric bills.

I expected wrongly that people on retirement extentions would be allowed to register for repat flights in the near future. 

Some people have said that this new tourist visa will be ideal for people like myself. I dissagree as I have an extention that is valid for another 4 months and a re entry permit. Why should I have to change this and apply for a tourist visa ?

I am prepared to pay for the ASQ and get my covid test within 72 hours of my flight and have an insurance policy that is ready to go but am not considered worthy of return to a place which I wrongly thought was my home.

As someone else mentioned people thinking of retiring in Thailand think very carefully !

I  had a  flight  booked for May 31st but  couldnt  go due to   Air  France  cancelling it I  was due back in the Uk June 1st to August 16th and then back to  Thailand, thankfully  I never  went , in the meantime my Mother who is very healthy but elderly took a  fall  last week and broke her  hip, shes  92 and just had plates and pins  put in, i f  I  go  back to the UK I wont get back in easily  to Thailand so for  now she  is  in hospital but being well taken care of and we can skype daily. Hope to get back early  next year but wont bother if they keep the rules on insurance , tests, quarantine etc So can be with my Mother and help her  but unable to get back here easily for my Wife.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, curious297 said:

Curious wrote:

"Immigration know I have lived here for almost 20 years. Myself and immigration have a full history of my yearly visas, work permit renewals, 90 day re-entry visa stamps etc, yet I am still just a tourist."

I mentioned at least 4 times my Non B Visa

Non-Immigrant B Visa (Employment)

Foreigners who intend to work in Thailand should apply for an initial 90-Day Non-Immigrant B visa from their home country under employment category. ... 90-day reporting to any Thai Immigration Office is required to the visa holder under this category.

Please pay attention in class, thank you ????

Master, I am not sure I grasp all the subtleties of your situation.

As far as my limited understanding allows me, you go on visa runs to avoid 90 day reporting, even though you have a work permit that dispenses you of said reporting.

Then, you need a multiple non B because you want to enter and leave Thailand as you wish, even though you can do that with the work permit and a re-entry stamp in your passport.

Just can't get what is your exact situation...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bodga said:

I  had a  flight  booked for May 31st but  couldnt  go due to   Air  France  cancelling it I  was due back in the Uk June 1st to August 16th and then back to  Thailand, thankfully  I never  went , in the meantime my Mother who is very healthy but elderly took a  fall  last week and broke her  hip, shes  92 and just had plates and pins  put in, i f  I  go  back to the UK I wont get back in easily  to Thailand so for  now she  is  in hospital but being well taken care of and we can skype daily. Hope to get back early  next year but wont bother if they keep the rules on insurance , tests, quarantine etc So can be with my Mother and help her  but unable to get back here easily for my Wife.

Sometimes I'm glad I'm an orphan in Germany and cut all bridges to Germany. So I can live as a pensioner on a retirement visa with my Thai family.  

And, to be honest, they're not even dependent on me here in the Eastern Economic Corridor aka Chonburi aka Pattaya Dark Side. 

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

I have not found it difficult to retire here, been on a retirement visa for 7 years now.

The big mistake many retirees make is to sink all their assets into Thailand. I've always operated on the principle 80% of my assets stay in Australia.

My only non-liquid assets here are a secondhand car and secondhand scooter. No big loss. My funds in several banks would be withdrawn lickety-split, and converted to currencies which are not printing more money, or gold. I could do that in the 7 days the authorities give if they are kicking someone out.

I'm sure my contribution is appreciated and valued by my Thai GF and her family. The Thai ruling class and their opinions are irrelevant to me, it's only the regulations I have to watch out for.

I'd agree that so far, retirees who have been caught outside Thailand have been treated badly. It's not as if they are in an age group that is reckless with coronavirus, unless they are Trump supporters.

What kind of country is it you only invest 20% of your assets for fear of losing it. I'm sure your thai gf and family appreciated what you did for them yesterday. Today what you can give me falang ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dart12 said:

It's never wise to buy a single family home, anywhere in the world, these days.  You are much better off buying multiple unit cashflowing properties and simply renting your current "home" space.

Those multiple unit cashflowing properties are not looking too flash in Thailand. My former landlord's apartment in Chiang Mai has been empty since I left it in February, and another two apartments he has in the same condo have had no tenants for years.

In Australia, if you own the roof over your head and get the age pension, you're OK. A pensioner that has to rent is stuffed.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

As far as my limited understanding allows me, you go on visa runs to avoid 90 day reporting, even though you have a work permit that dispenses you of said reporting.

Then, you need a multiple non B because you want to enter and leave Thailand as you wish, even though you can do that with the work permit and a re-entry stamp in your passport.

A work permit and EOS based on work doesn't stop the 90 day reports, although you can allocate a staff member to do those, no bother.

I must admit, I have no idea why anybody would get a non-B when it is easier to extend based on work, normally this is done when immigration won't issue an extension, due to missing documentation, salary not enough etc. ME non-b visas are becoming increasingly difficult to obtain and I would not be surprised if they abolish them altogether in the not so distant future, with the aim of making people get an EOS.

11 minutes ago, smudger1951 said:

What kind of country is it you only invest 20% of your assets for fear of losing it. I'm sure your thai gf and family appreciated what you did for them yesterday. Today what you can give me falang ?

It's the kind of country where your tenure is only one year maximum, at the whim of an Immigration officer. So I'd be stupid to be putting more in.

My arrangements with my Thai GF are my business, none of yours.

• Like 1

I puzzle about why nobody has suggested that all these "schemes" are in fact simply a way of getting not a better deck hair, but a different deck chair on the Titanic?  Everyone is searching strenuously for the best set of rules to live by in Thailand, and that is laudable but pointless.  What makes Thailand so attractive is that there are lots of rules to choose from that can be implemented in a myriad of ways and what worked yesterday almost certainly has no chance of working today.

When I first arrived to stay, I tried to make lists of how to get certain things done.  I soon gave that up and started "surfing the flow" as I call it.  I suppose that there must be someone somewhere who understands the Thai psyche and the rules of "face" and "Greng jai" but I've been happy ever since I gave up trying.  The Thai motto seems to be "Live for today" combined with the Buddhist "All life is suffering".  But they can never be accused of not being inventive when trying to find a solution agreeable to everyone for a problem and that's fine by me.  It's "Up to you" then to use the tools you're given to achieve a personal solution that's acceptable to you.

...new special tourist visa?

Stop dreaming. Thailand ruling class want manage flow of people and it started from Pattaya some 5 years ago when suddenly Walking Street became talk of local city hall.

Lets be fair--not everybody want communistic Laos or Cambodia with 3000$ deposit--yes, we want some kind of freedom for our money.

And, yes, no matter where we go we always tourists and government regulate us not opposite way.

7 hours ago, Berti said:

There are many tourism workers but they are still a minority.

The majority is still in panic when it comes to Corona.

We have to acknowledge that they are building up a quarantine industry to let in foreigners, but somehow I get the feeling they want to get rid of retirees.

YES

• Like 2