New Special Tourist Visa: A drop in the ocean compared to 2019 as many retirees feel abandoned

webfact

On numbers, the Minister has now stated in public that If operations in the first month run smoothly without triggering another outbreak, they aim to increase carrying capacity in the next phase. So the 1200 may just be October.

Assuming all goes well (??) then the tours companies have (yesterday) also been given the signal from TAT to start prepping for possible charters from Oct 1. 

So the trickle may become a small stream but I think we all know its not the river than dropping the quarantine will be.

But I think we are stuck with quarantine whilst worldwide numbers are starting to rise again. 

Whats needed now is a massive push on ASQ hotels and relaxation of flight restrictions.

Its not "tourism" as we all know. Just long stayers who will predominantly be retirees. 

• Like 1

After 20 years my rose coloured glasses fell off ( ok it didn't happen just now)I see even I am married to a thai citizen for over 16 years I am less and less welcome in Thailand. I gave up upon the idea retire there. I am not going to do 90 days report 

. No reports if I leave our house for a week. I am not interested to do the marriage visa every motherlover year. No. I will move to Portugal rent a flat for 200€ no special visa needed. No hassle. No double pricing. I will visiting Thailand but no way I will jump around how they whistle. Thailand was better in my opinion. Now the prices are up friendliness down, everywhere, bars,restaurants, shops, markets. Even if I can speak basic thai. Ok I stop being so negative,Thailand still have good sides I guess I am just disappointed.

Edited by Isaanfreak
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, michel7752 said:

Completely agree. And what makes things really scandalous is that during all these months there has not been one single piece of information about what people stranded abroad with an O or AO based yearly visa (of which many have expired in the meantime) can expect in the future. Zero information, zero emphaty, zero anything.

For pensioners on a long-time O visa nothing has changed. Except for the quarantine thing in case you leave the country and want to come back. But it's certainly not Thailand's problem if you can't get the virus under control in the West. 

13 hours ago, Isaanfreak said:

After 20 years my rose coloured glasses fell off ( ok it didn't happen just now)I see even I am married to a thai citizen for over 16 years I am less and less welcome in Thailand. I gave up upon the idea retire there. I am not going to do 90 days report 

. No reports if I leave our house for a week. I am not interested to do the marriage visa every motherlover year. No. I will move to Portugal rent a flat for 200€ no special visa needed. No hassle. No double pricing. I will visiting Thailand but no way I will jump around how they whistle. Thailand was better in my opinion. Now the prices are up friendliness down, everywhere, bars,restaurants, shops, markets. Even if I can speak basic thai. Ok I stop being so negative,Thailand still have good sides I guess I am just disappointed.

Would you qualify for a long-stay retirement visa in Thailand? 

Then I would advise you to get one. I did this, and I have no hassle over here. 

The mandatory 90 days report is really not worth complaining. They have a database at the immigration, and if nothing has changed it's very easily done. 

On 9/16/2020 at 11:30 AM, Enzian said:

I'll probably be able to renew my retirement status this December, but if at some point next year I'm faced with the choice of staying in-country indefinitely or leaving and staying out indefinitely or forever, I'll crack and leave. 

I understand your resentment against all the new measures to contain C19 and I agree with what you write but we must be realistic even if the situation seems to be getting worse currently I hope that we should not have to choose between staying here forever or leaving forever, I prefer the intermediate solution, give yourself more time to see how the situation evolves and eventually make decisions over a longer period.

Thailand still has many positives that should not be underestimated as the situation worsens in many western states

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/16/2020 at 5:52 AM, connda said:

By the way, this is a clear warning to any foreigner considering retiring here in the future.  Do so at your own peril.  As many retirees are now finding out, you can be separated from all your assets that you sink into Thailand indefinitely and the Thai government will not care one iota. 

I agree. Thailand is not a reliable place where to invest and stay in the long run

5 minutes ago, Ganesh108 said:

Well-off people with class would never demean anyone having little money, not even in jest. You're saying a lot about yourself here. 

My old boss just lost 10-15million baht to a ex massage girl . He would convince himself he wasn’t a cheap Charlie by throwing money at her and her family . Now he wishes he was a cheap Charlie . 

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, GeorgeCross said:

you can stay and not bring ALL of your assets here ????

If you can't decide which side you're on you can do that. 

Easy for a pensioner like me : part of my assets were taken away from my income in Germany and are now stashed in pension funds where I get them in instalments every month. 

The rest of my assets were transferred here by Western Union. 

In Europe I don't even need a bank account anymore. 

Edited by micmichd

On 9/16/2020 at 4:44 PM, CapeTown said:

A lot of thought and consultation has evidently gone into the STV. This seems the best Thailand can manage for the moment.

The difficulties come from the bigger players who are losing considerable revenues and national companies must be facing bankruptcy.

Tourism is the main source of income for many millions of less well off Thais too. They are living on loans or earnings from the last high season 2019/20. They have no buffer beyond this year. What are they to do? Who is looking after them? Many have already returned to the village, to the homes of their parents and grandparents and to agriculture.

This is not just short term distress, the resentment and bitterness felt at home and abroad will have permanent long term consequences too, I would imagine.

But what else can the government do? The resources for plugging the gaps in the economy are not there. Neither is the health infrastructure for treatment. It cannot permit covid to rip through. It must wait for a vaccine.

For the moment, on balance, maybe best to stay closed, given the levels of fear in the people (Phuket is an example) and wait for the vaccine. Wait for the vaccine and think about the needs of all 70 million Thais and just as important, the needs of all future long and short stay visitors. It is a real challenge to keep hope alive and keep the welcoming smile.

For now, in practical terms, the most important job is presumably to focus on setting up the network of clinics that will be required for delivery of the much-hoped-for vaccine. This is very important.

There's already a network of health clinics (typically one each tanmbon) that provides free low-level health and a certain amount of local monitoring. Ask your Thai partner or a Thai friend to take you to one - you might be surprised at how organised the Thais are!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, chrisandsu said:

My old boss just lost 10-15million baht to a ex massage girl . He would convince himself he wasn’t a cheap Charlie by throwing money at her and her family . Now he wishes he was a cheap Charlie . 

In my recently ended 4+ year relationship with a Thai woman half my age I probably spent very roughly a million and half baht more than I would have if I had just kept playing the field. So I guess I got off cheap; or I really am a Cheap Charlie (Charles my real middle name ironically), as I'm trying (with mixed success) to convince my new half-my-age gf. 

2 minutes ago, Enzian said:

In my recently ended 4+ year relationship with a Thai woman half my age I probably spent very roughly a million and half baht more than I would have if I had just kept playing the field. So I guess I got off cheap; or I really am a Cheap Charlie (Charles my real middle name ironically), as I'm trying (with mixed success) to convince my new half-my-age gf. 

Your boss should have learned the good British art of understatement. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Enzian said:

It’s going to cost one way or another but try and drip feed it . It’s a bit like buying my kids Christmas presents , every year you feel like the presents have to be bigger and better otherwise they won’t be impressed anymore . Keep consistent and don’t raise the expectations . 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, chrisandsu said:

He’s American so all she needed to do was massage his ego . Was like taking candy from a baby . 

I don't think the Euro-trash deserve any rewards for economic prowess, that's for damn sure, but that should be expected with their lack of technology.

Edited by moontang
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, moontang said:

I don't think the Euro-trash deserve any rewards for economic prowess, that's for damn sure, but that should be expected with their lack of technology.

Living in America I can tell you there is more then enough American trash . Just hope they are never allowed a passport . 

1 hour ago, chrisandsu said:

Living in America I can tell you there is more then enough American trash . Just hope they are never allowed a passport . 

Yes, I know. 

Sometimes they even hit Pattaya where they yell "Make America Great Again. Thailand belongs to America" 

They all got deported from Thailand. 

34 minutes ago, micmichd said:

Yes, I know. 

Sometimes they even hit Pattaya where they yell "Make America Great Again. Thailand belongs to America" 

They all got deported from Thailand. 

I won't embarrass you with the GDP numbers, but looking at personal income shows the wealthiest of the EU would barely be equivalent to the states often joked about..WV, NM to name a few.  But, let's not forget the Canadians, who always outnumber the Americans at IDC, according to NGO sources, with one tenth the population.

8 minutes ago, moontang said:

I won't embarrass you with the GDP numbers, but looking at personal income shows the wealthiest of the EU would barely be equivalent to the states often joked about..WV, NM to name a few.  But, let's not forget the Canadians, who always outnumber the Americans at IDC, according to NGO sources, with one tenth the population.

I’m sorry if I dented your ego . You are certainly not a cheap Charlie ???? while looking at your gdp can we minus the national debt ?

Edited by chrisandsu

39 minutes ago, chrisandsu said:

I’m sorry if I dented your ego . You are certainly not a cheap Charlie ???? while looking at your gdp can we minus the national debt 

National debt as percentage of GDP..sure..the Euro-trash classics are in far worse shape...

• Haha 1