New Special Tourist Visa: A drop in the ocean compared to 2019 as many retirees feel abandoned

webfact

33 minutes ago, racket said:

Could be that retirees are more subject to COVID-19 so they don’t want to deal with them should the virus scale up infections. 9. 

Of course retirees are more prone to covid-19.

But even so, it is 'underlying conditions' and a challenged immune-system (as a result of  unhealthy life-style) that makes the difference betweeen waltzing through it without even noiticing or ending up in hospital or worse.

Covid mortality group %.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

Of course retirees are more prone to covid-19.

But even so, it is 'underlying conditions' and a challenged immune-system (as a result of  unhealthy life-style) that makes the difference betweeen waltzing through it without even noiticing or ending up in hospital or worse.

Covid mortality group %.jpg

Retirees should exercise. 

Obesity is an underlying condition, too. That's why every health insurance will ask you for your weight. 

1 minute ago, micmichd said:

Retirees should exercise. 

Obesity is an underlying condition, too. That's why every health insurance will ask you for your weight. 

Very easy for you to say, but not easy for us all to do.

So do you suggest i jog say 5ks every day? Do 20 jumping jacks, 30 press ups?

5 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Very easy for you to say, but not easy for us all to do.

So do you suggest i jog say 5ks every day? Do 20 jumping jacks, 30 press ups?

Anything. Jogging, pool billiard, golf, dancing eg. 

5ks isn't that much. It's just the distance between Pattaya Beach and the Dark Side of Pattaya. 

8 minutes ago, micmichd said:

Anything. Jogging, pool billiard, golf, dancing eg. 

5ks isn't that much. It's just the distance between Pattaya Beach and the Dark Side of Pattaya. 

Did you actually read my post properly?

I said not easy for all of us, you being a member here for almost 6 years should surely be aware of my situation,  something that has been mentioned here in many threads.

Welcome to the Land Of Suckers....(Smiles) Pardon my ignorance but it seems the majority of us are in the same situation of sorts.All the requiements met,800K in the bank, Insurance all sorted out,Covid-free,booze free,sex-free and yet we are all screwed big-time. Didn't the protest 19-20Sep tells us anything?

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

Did you actually read my post properly?

I said not easy for all of us, you being a member here for almost 6 years should surely be aware of my situation,  something that has been mentioned here in many threads.

Yes, I've been here for more than 6 years. And I've seen old Farangs who keep themselves in good health even in a wheelchair. I have eyes to see, you know? 

2 hours ago, DouglasTsui said:

Welcome to the Land Of Suckers....(Smiles) Pardon my ignorance but it seems the majority of us are in the same situation of sorts.All the requiements met,800K in the bank, Insurance all sorted out,Covid-free,booze free,sex-free and yet we are all screwed big-time. Didn't the protest 19-20Sep tells us anything?

Don't worry. You'll be welcome if you work in one way or another and supported a Thai lady or Thai children. You can always call it charity. 

Just one thing you cannot do. You cannot buy Thai land. Thailand does not sell out her land to foreign investors. They are not as stupid as Europeans where all kinds of people face homelessness under emergency decrees now. 

Edited by micmichd

On 9/16/2020 at 2:27 PM, Mr Meeseeks said:

This is nothing new and has been known for 30 years I have been here.

And I care even less about them. I'm here for my own agenda and believe me, it's not for their benefit. Think of it as locusts moving from field to field.

On 9/16/2020 at 2:51 PM, DPKANKAN said:

16090 baht a month!! Odd sum but to live on <deleted>! That's merely a weeks bar bills!!! 5555????????????????????????????????

During my fiscal year of 2019/2020 my monthly average spending was 32,000 per month and I didn't do without, although I'm sitting in a bar every night either.

On 9/16/2020 at 3:10 PM, Lacessit said:

I have not found it difficult to retire here, been on a retirement visa for 7 years now.

The big mistake many retirees make is to sink all their assets into Thailand. I've always operated on the principle 80% of my assets stay in Australia.

My only non-liquid assets here are a secondhand car and secondhand scooter. No big loss. My funds in several banks would be withdrawn lickety-split, and converted to currencies which are not printing more money, or gold. I could do that in the 7 days the authorities give if they are kicking someone out.

I'm sure my contribution is appreciated and valued by my Thai GF and her family. The Thai ruling class and their opinions are irrelevant to me, it's only the regulations I have to watch out for.

I'd agree that so far, retirees who have been caught outside Thailand have been treated badly. It's not as if they are in an age group that is reckless with coronavirus, unless they are Trump supporters.

My situation living in Thailand is exactly the same as yours with one exception, I AM a Trump supporter! So my question is, what pathetic reason do you base a persons political point of view on in this forum? Perhaps you are on of the many that are angry and bitter from being cutoff from my tax dollars?

On 9/16/2020 at 3:48 PM, micmichd said:

They want to get rid of Western bums who behave like the masters of the universe in Thailand when in fact they're losers in their Western home countries. 

Why does my intelligence and financial planning abilities that made it possible for me to retire years before my social security starts make me a looser? Are you angry me? ????

1 minute ago, BobinBKK said:

Why does my intelligence and financial planning abilities that made it possible for me to retire years before my social security starts make me a looser? Are you angry me? ????

12 minutes ago, BobinBKK said:

My situation living in Thailand is exactly the same as yours with one exception, I AM a Trump supporter! So my question is, what pathetic reason do you base a persons political point of view on in this forum? Perhaps you are on of the many that are angry and bitter from being cutoff from my tax dollars?

'my intelligence' and 'I AM a Trump supporter' ...

Enough said.

• Like 2

On 9/16/2020 at 4:46 PM, Lokie said:

Best advice I ever got years ago from an old Expat was...

Never buy anything your not prepared to leave behind, keep a suit case packed, this is a country that cycles through military coups every ten yrs or so, No need to buy anything large as is so cheap enough to rent - If does go Pear shaped pick that suitcase up and just get on a plane out of here...

Cheers Eddy (from Wigan) 13 years later and all holds true

Yes I agree! Never get attached to anything or anyone you're not willing to walk away from in 30 seconds or less ????

On 9/16/2020 at 5:04 PM, smudger1951 said:

What kind of country is it you only invest 20% of your assets for fear of losing it. I'm sure your thai gf and family appreciated what you did for them yesterday. Today what you can give me falang ?

Same same monkey ????

On 9/16/2020 at 5:18 PM, Mattd said:

A work permit and EOS based on work doesn't stop the 90 day reports, although you can allocate a staff member to do those, no bother.

I must admit, I have no idea why anybody would get a non-B when it is easier to extend based on work, normally this is done when immigration won't issue an extension, due to missing documentation, salary not enough etc. ME non-b visas are becoming increasingly difficult to obtain and I would not be surprised if they abolish them altogether in the not so distant future, with the aim of making people get an EOS.

I really don't understand why they say "salary not enough" when the daily minimum wage in Thailand is approximately 350-370 baht per day...

53 minutes ago, BobinBKK said:

I really don't understand why they say "salary not enough" when the daily minimum wage in Thailand is approximately 350-370 baht per day...

So you compare this expats with 7-11 personal?
or you compare this expats with office workers who earn in Bangkok about 30'000 baht per month (yes I know a few of them with this salary range)? 
I was thinking this expats have an higher degree. you can't compare with average salaries. especially as there are a lot of farmer included!

If the monthly Income of 65K for Retirement extensions are fair.. hmmmm I think you could have a OK life with much less.. but they not want cheap 15K retired people.. if that have to be high as 65... we can't change it....

1 hour ago, Peter Denis said:

'my intelligence' and 'I AM a Trump supporter' ...

Enough said.

I am NOT a Trump supporter, but I'm NOT a supporter of European nanny states either. Those German bums addicted to their nanny state didn't want me, so I don't want them.