Safe or do I have a problem?

Call me an idiot for not keeping up to date but I have only just recently, thanks to this forum, found out that the rules of the 800,000 in the bank for retirees was changed last year and now also requires the said sum to be in the bank for a 3 month period AFTER the annual renewal visit.

After quickly checking my bank book I see that I may or may not be in trouble depending on which date the 3 month period is taken from.

My last visa extension renewal date was the 7th Jan 2020 and my bank balance dipped under 800,000 on March 31st 2020, which of course is less than 3 months.

The date of my actual visit to immigration in Bangkok was 19th Dec 2019 which means if that is the date from which the calculation is done then I am in the clear.

If the worst scenario happens could anyone advise me on the route to take to avoid having to leave and start over. I have seen on other threads that a certain amount of cash to an agent or the right person would help oil the wheels. As I am rather naive about such things and would like to be prepared if the worst comes to the worst any help with that side of things would also be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

• Like 1

Just now, Sophon said:

He applied on December 19th

Yes your correct. I had already noticed my mistake.

Pays to read the whole post.

Good news is he is ok.

Also you made him aware of the need to maintain 400+ up to 2 months prior to his next extension when he needs to bump it up again to the 800k.

He dodged a bullet.

17 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Yes your correct. I had already noticed my mistake.

Pays to read the whole post.

Good news is he is ok.

Also you made him aware of the need to maintain 400+ up to 2 months prior to his next extension when he needs to bump it up again to the 800k.

He dodged a bullet.

Phew! Let us hope that, when the time comes, immigration officers, who as we know tend to interoperate things in their own way, agree. 

3 minutes ago, narisarasgroove said:

Phew! Let us hope that, when the time comes, immigration officers, who as we know tend to interoperate things in their own way, agree. 

There is a current thread where a guy did not share your good fortune. He actually did dip below the requirements.

If folk can afford it I suggest having an FD account and stick 800+ in it and leave it till next extension. Bullet proof.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

I would figure it would start the day your yearly renewal stamp is on and not the actual application submission date. Anything else is just under consideration. 

I'm sure the Immigration Officers will be reasonable.

10 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

I would figure it would start the day your yearly renewal stamp is on and not the actual application submission date. Anything else is just under consideration. 

There is no under consideration. He is doing extensions retirement. The 2 months prior and 3 months post is all about the day he attends immigration for his extension. Nothing to do with the date on his "admitted till" stamp in passport

35 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

There is a current thread where a guy did not share your good fortune. He actually did dip below the requirements.

If folk can afford it I suggest having an FD account and stick 800+ in it and leave it till next extension. Bullet proof.

It was reading that thread that alerted me to the change of last year. I agree if folks can afford it, leave it, and as I said earlier I rarely drop down but when I did I wasn't aware of the rule changes. My bad there but cannot go back and put the genie into the bottle now.

28 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

The critical date is actually the one when said yearly renewal stamp is placed in your passport (usually on the application submission date in the case of retirement extensions), I think!