BANGKOK
blanes2007

Tourist visa extention: no need a letter from embassy from today (chiang mai)

Was this your first time extending for 30 days? Has always been possible ot get another 30 days on a tourist visa entry.

1. Yes, the first. 

2. I was told it was not possible (chiang mai, last week) 

• Like 1

My wife is telling me 

'' Maybe that immigration lady can not speak English very good and she is shy about it, and this is why she tell you no no can not. She not understand you"

😬

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

Was this your first time extending for 30 days? Has always been possible ot get another 30 days on a tourist visa entry.

Not what I was told today, they asked for the embassy letter. To be clear inentered on a voa and never used my extension.

Edited by n00dle

That's interesting! I came in on visa exemption just before border closed. I was still well within my original 30 days when they announced the first amnesty in April. Never thought I would be allowed one 30 day extension without embassy letter with the ensuing visa amnesty since April. Does anyone else have any luck doing this in Bangkok - getting a one-time 30 day extension the old way with visa exempt entry? Embassy letter not forthcoming from UK embassy so that option is not open to me.

• Like 2

I was under the impression you could always apply at least once for a 30 days extension no matter what visa. I did it a couple of years ago at CW on a visa exempt stamp as I was between a non B and collecting documents for a non O, but I had to wait for some documents from my home country so it was more convenient to get an extension instead of spending a whole day going to Singapore or Malaysia for a new stamp. 

Edited by Jake72

13 minutes ago, Jake72 said:

I was under the impression you could always apply at least once for a 30 days extension no matter what visa. I did it a couple of years ago at CW on a visa exempt stamp as I was between a non B and collecting documents for a non O, but I had to wait for some documents from my home country so it was more convenient to get an extension instead of spending a whole day going to Singapore or Malaysia for a new stamp. 

Most places are not allowing a 30 day extension of a tourist visa right now though because of their interpretation of the amnesty rules. I went from Bangkok to Ubon for mine but would definitely have chosen to go to Chiang Mai if I'd known it was now doing it. Mae Hong Son (including Pai) is another place doing it. Thanks for sharing @blanes2007

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Yorkshire Tea said:

Are they giving extensions at the Promenada office, or just giving you the information, to then go to main office?

At the Promenada office they confirmed that my Tourist Visa really might be extended and after 2 hrs I got the 30 days stamp till 26th of Oct.

There also was the next "innovation": now they ask an applicants to write GPS coordinates of their home

• Thanks 1

How come you didn't just go for the 60 day or a Non-O?
& did they say you can apply for something else while on this 30-day extension? 

• Like 1

just got mine today in Bangkok, they are insisting letters from what I can see, was given until 16 Sept not 26 as I had expected nor as in CM (hence not really 1 month tourist visa either) and I still need to report there in a few weeks again for approval. Its also my first extension... the process took all afternoon, really exhausting and somewhat of a pointless exercise I think, lots of confusion too.