Tourist visa extention: no need a letter from embassy from today (chiang mai)

My wife is telling me 

'' Maybe that immigration lady can not speak English very good and she is shy about it, and this is why she tell you no no can not. She not understand you"

????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

Was this your first time extending for 30 days? Has always been possible ot get another 30 days on a tourist visa entry.

Not what I was told today, they asked for the embassy letter. To be clear inentered on a voa and never used my extension.

Edited by n00dle

That's interesting! I came in on visa exemption just before border closed. I was still well within my original 30 days when they announced the first amnesty in April. Never thought I would be allowed one 30 day extension without embassy letter with the ensuing visa amnesty since April. Does anyone else have any luck doing this in Bangkok - getting a one-time 30 day extension the old way with visa exempt entry? Embassy letter not forthcoming from UK embassy so that option is not open to me.

• Like 2

I was under the impression you could always apply at least once for a 30 days extension no matter what visa. I did it a couple of years ago at CW on a visa exempt stamp as I was between a non B and collecting documents for a non O, but I had to wait for some documents from my home country so it was more convenient to get an extension instead of spending a whole day going to Singapore or Malaysia for a new stamp. 

Edited by Jake72

2 hours ago, Yorkshire Tea said:

Are they giving extensions at the Promenada office, or just giving you the information, to then go to main office?

At the Promenada office they confirmed that my Tourist Visa really might be extended and after 2 hrs I got the 30 days stamp till 26th of Oct.

There also was the next "innovation": now they ask an applicants to write GPS coordinates of their home

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

just got mine today in Bangkok, they are insisting letters from what I can see, was given until 16 Sept not 26 as I had expected nor as in CM (hence not really 1 month tourist visa either) and I still need to report there in a few weeks again for approval. Its also my first extension... the process took all afternoon, really exhausting and somewhat of a pointless exercise I think, lots of confusion too.

7 hours ago, blanes2007 said:

At the Promenada office they confirmed that my Tourist Visa really might be extended and after 2 hrs I got the 30 days stamp till 26th of Oct.

There also was the next "innovation": now they ask an applicants to write GPS coordinates of their home

Seriously ?

And were you on visa or visa exempt ?

Looks like good news for me...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sambotte said:

Seriously ?

And were you on visa or visa exempt ?

Looks like good news for me...

For many also.

Maybe they are doing a soft shoe shuffle? Get as many people as you can to spend money on some kind of visa (bent or not) then announce an extension just before people become illegal. Financially a good idea. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, greggraham said:

How come you didn't just go for the 60 day or a Non-O?
& did they say you can apply for something else while on this 30-day extension? 

60 days will be the next step. I take my time

• Like 1

Thanks.

Should be no difference though TV-VOA-VE... If Ubon Joe can confirm if he has time.

So it looks like they accept to do the normal extension again in :

Ubon Ratcha

Samui

Chiang Mai (with GPS... ?)

Mae Hong Son (including Pai) ?

Any new report could help...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, agng said:

just got mine today in Bangkok, they are insisting letters from what I can see, was given until 16 Sept not 26 as I had expected nor as in CM (hence not really 1 month tourist visa either) and I still need to report there in a few weeks again for approval. Its also my first extension... the process took all afternoon, really exhausting and somewhat of a pointless exercise I think, lots of confusion too.

Wow, thanks for the update.  When you say you were given until 16 Sept not 26th, what does that mean?  Yesterday was the 16th.  What day do you go back?  (You said a few weeks, but I'm curious what actual day.  Would like to know how much time you would have on the extension - assuming they give it on the day you go back.)

So if I'm understanding you correctly, even after the cabinet meeting where no word came out about another automatic extension, they are still giving the temporary stamps and not the full one month extension?  And only with the embassy letter?

Left hand, meet... uh.... Hello, right hand?  Right hand? Helloooooo?!

Where the hell did that right hand go?

Seems like either they might still expect something new coming from the cabinet, or they're trying to make it so frustrating that people end up leaving by whatever options available (plane, boat, or swimming out to sea).

• Like 2

17 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Was it busy?

Interestingly that the Airport office (where all non-tourist visas are extended) was quite busy. I would say full of farangs of all ages

While there were not much visitors at small Promenada office...

Conclusion: not so many tourists or "tourists" (like me) stranded in Thailand (at least in Chiang Mai). Mostly long-stay visa holders left

• Like 2

8 hours ago, agng said:

I think the  actual extension will start on the 26th when your return to immigration at the end of the under consideration period.

The under consideration stamp allows you to stay in the country until you extension is approved.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, notmyself said:

Samui immigration issued a 30 day extension on a TR to a fella I know last week. He entered mid March and the amnesty came into effect before he needed to use the 30 day extension Not sure if it was last Wed or Thur but it was, as usual, from the expiry date rather than the actual date so 26 October it is. He said is was no issue but he didn't ask any questions so that is all the data I have. Erm. Form (TM30 is it called?), 2 photos and 1900. Take note, for what it's worth, that this was on an SETV and not a visa exempt or VOA entry.

Another fella who has since returned to the UK was told a month or so back (by immigration) that he should wait until closer to the 26th to use the extension as things may well change. He's gone now so doesn't matter but again this was on the back of an SETV entry that had not been extended.

Personal note. Wish everyone well and take care. 

Damn! Samui is the perfect option for a combined holiday and visa extension. I wish I'd known this sooner.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

You don't need an embassy letter and you get the extension on the same day you apply so it's easier to convert it to a non-immigrant visa later.

I ask because I have the embassy letter, and it seems maybe prudent to hold onto my 30 day regular extension as long as possible if the embassy and IM are continuing to hand out 30 day covid extensions.

12 minutes ago, Dart12 said:

what's the benefit of taking the normale 30 day extension over the Covid 30 day extension?   anything?

5 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

You don't need an embassy letter and you get the extension on the same day you apply so it's easier to convert it to a non-immigrant visa later.

Also, you would not encounter any difficulties later on by IOs refusing to handle your subsequent extension application (e.g. Hat Yay, SriRacha).

But of course you could enquire beforehand at your local IO whether the 'special' Embassy letter supported extension, would block you from any later regular extension applications.

Edited by Peter Denis
  • Like 1