Tourist visa extention: no need a letter from embassy from today (chiang mai)

3 minutes ago, Dart12 said:

I ask because I have the embassy letter, and it seems maybe prudent to hold onto my 30 day regular extension as long as possible if the embassy and IM are continuing to hand out 30 day covid extensions.

You can't get the regular extension after the Covid-19 extension. Also, I thought you'd already got your volunteer visa.

No maps required.

GPS coordinates are the set of numbers like 433454.670505.575440. Can be found in the Google Maps.

They wanted me and other applicants to write these numbers in the address field of the application form. 

The next applicant after me was an old farang 70+ who was experiencing difficulties in doing that. It looked like he didn't know what GPS is exactly and where to take it from. So young and gadget skilled members of Thai Immigration staff had to assist him

On 9/16/2020 at 8:43 PM, Jake72 said:

I was under the impression you could always apply at least once for a 30 days extension no matter what visa. I did it a couple of years ago at CW on a visa exempt stamp as I was between a non B and collecting documents for a non O, but I had to wait for some documents from my home country so it was more convenient to get an extension instead of spending a whole day going to Singapore or Malaysia for a new stamp. 

Same story with me last week. Took wife to CW to get 30 day extension from Visa Exempt I got in April. Was told no without a letter from embassy , just got from online US Embassy.

On 9/16/2020 at 3:43 PM, Jake72 said:

I was under the impression you could always apply at least once for a 30 days extension no matter what visa. I did it a couple of years ago at CW on a visa exempt stamp as I was between a non B and collecting documents for a non O, but I had to wait for some documents from my home country so it was more convenient to get an extension instead of spending a whole day going to Singapore or Malaysia for a new stamp. 

46 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

Same story with me last week. Took wife to CW to get 30 day extension from Visa Exempt I got in April. Was told no without a letter from embassy , just got from online US Embassy.

Two different things are mixed in the above, resulting in some confusion.

> A 'regular' 30 day extension of stay is ONLY available for those that entered Thailand Visa Exempt or on a Tourist Visa, and it can only be applied for once per entry.

> Some IOs seem to have 'forgotten' the regular rules/practices during these Amnesty times.  If you did not use your 'regular' 30-day extension of stay yet that your Visa Exempt of Tourist Visa entry entitled you to, there was NO reason for CW < actually MTT > to refuse your application.

There are confirmed reports from Chiang Mai, Samui, Mae Hong Son and Ubon, where such 'regular' 30-day extension have been provided in course of last 2 weeks.

In your case you are relatively 'lucky' because the US Embassy letter will be provided on-line on simple request, allowing you to apply for the 'special' extension of stay.  And it has been confirmed that such special extension of stay will not block you from subsequently applying for a regular extension of stay.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, SAcanman said:

I just got back from CM Promenade office.  I have a METV.  My last entry was March 20. 

Thanks for the report.

And good to hear that you had no problem receiving the 'regular' 30-day extension of stay, which you hadn't used yet, and your Tourist Visa entitled you to.

You also wrote that the Canadian Embassy would not issue an Embassy letter for you.

Question > Will you be applying for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa from the 'valid' 30-day permission to stay till Oct 25 you have now?

If so, be aware that you need to apply at least 15 days (some IOs even require 23 days) before that 25 October permission to stay expiry date.

Thanks Peter,

No, I wont be applying for Non-O. I am not 50 yet, but thanks for the heads up.  I've never used an agent but I'll look into what options are available after the 26th.  Perhaps prices will fall a bit after next week?  Just hoping so, not predicting (nor looking for anyone's thoughts about it).

I did hear immigration explain to a new employee who gets the full 30 day extension stamp and who needs an embassy letter to get the 30 days (for tourist visas).  He said if you entered Thailand before March 26 you get the 30 days if, if not used already.  If you entered after the 26 you need an embassy letter.  Please dont shoot the messenger, just relaying exactly what I heard the officer say to the noob.

1 minute ago, SAcanman said:

Thanks Peter,

No, I wont be applying for Non-O. I am not 50 yet, but thanks for the heads up.  I've never used an agent but I'll look into what options are available after the 26th.  Perhaps prices will fall a bit after next week?  Just hoping so, not predicting (nor looking for anyone's thoughts about it).

I did hear immigration explain to a new employee who gets the full 30 day extension stamp and who needs an embassy letter to get the 30 days (for tourist visas).  He said if you entered Thailand before March 26 you get the 30 days if, if not used already.  If you entered after the 26 you need an embassy letter.  Please dont shoot the messenger, just relaying exactly what I heard the officer say to the noob.

Nobody has entered on a tourist visa after 26 March have they?

• Like 1

I went Thursday with the wife and they wouldn't see me without the letter. I don't have one because the Australian embassy have refused 3 times to issue one because I didn't arrive with an onward flight booked hence they don't consider me a tourist and don't care about the consequences for me. The immigration people told the wife it was easy and I should just ask for a letter. She naturally believed them and not me and we had a big row in the car park that passes for an office.

7 minutes ago, tw25rw said:

I went Thursday with the wife and they wouldn't see me without the letter. I don't have one because the Australian embassy have refused 3 times to issue one because I didn't arrive with an onward flight booked hence they don't consider me a tourist and don't care about the consequences for me. The immigration people told the wife it was easy and I should just ask for a letter. She naturally believed them and not me and we had a big row in the car park that passes for an office.

Could you give some more details about your case? Was this in Chiang Mai? When did you enter the country? Have you extended before? 

4 hours ago, tw25rw said:

No, the temporary office in Bangkok. I've been here on a 30 day stamp since March. No extension, unless you include being stamped back in after a trip to KL.

As a tourist (entered Visa Exempt or on a Tourist Visa) you do not have a 'fixed residence' for Immigration purposes.  Hence it is just a matter of shopping around for a more accommodating IO when the one in the province where you are staying is unwilling to handle your application.

Be aware that you also have other options than the Embassy Letter supported application for the 'special' extension of stay.

More specifically:

> The 'regular' 30-days extension of stay (if not used already) that your Visa Exempt or Tourist Visa entry entitles you to (one per entry)

It seems CW (actually MTT) is not willing to provide these, but reports of successful application for such regular 30-days extension of stay at Chaing Mai, Samui, Mae Hong Son (and Pai) and Ubon Ratchathani.

> A 60-day extension of stay for reason of visiting your Thai wife.

Obviously this is only possible when legally married to your Thai wife, and in possession of the Thai marriage documents (Kor Ror 3 and Kor Ror 2).

Getting hold of a short-term extension first, will then allow you to apply for a 90-day Non Imm O Visa, as you need at least 15 days (some offices require 23 days) left on your permission to stay to apply for that 90-day Non Imm O Visa.  You only need to meet the financial requirements at the moment of application, so you will also have sufficient time to organize that.