Amnesty will Happen

Amnesty will happen!       April I lined up with 100s to extend my tourist visa as flights canceled. Paid for and got 15+15 day extension.    1900 bht + stress.     Next day Amnesty announced !    Today. got til November 15 th ( 60days yes starting today?) 1900bht.  +3 hours wait.     Sod’s Law says   Amnesty will now be announced.                         Ps 2 biz flights on Swiss     May     leave empty on 25 th.  11.20 pm.  Ha ha.   

The government has been quite clear that there will not be another amnesty. It has been worded very differently to the last announcement. If you do not have a long stay visa, I would suggest one of the following;

If you haven't already, see if your tourist visa can be extended (some IO's such as ubon are honoring eligible extensions)

Apply for an embassy letter and 30 day extension (easy for Americans, more difficult for UK)

Buy a plane ticket home/other country

Use an agent to obtain a visa for you - note, embassy letters have been successfully used to apply for long term visas in IO's by other forum members, but i'm not sure if this applies to agents too.

Help (or a version of amnesty) is likely coming for people already here on legitimate long term visas, in the form of an easing of current immigration standards. This has been well reported several times over in the news. Don't bank on another amnesty - have a plan!

• Like 1

Haha I feel you. I spent so much time and energy getting the first covid extension only to have the amnesty kick in days later. 

My gf thinks an amnesty or some type of leniancy is possible if social media or news posts go viral of families getting split up, or seeing people stranded at the airport. Thai Govt hates bad PR especially on Facebook. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

The government hasn't said a word, one way or the other.

Please link to the government stating amnesty extension won't happen.

From Khaosod;

The Thai Immigration Bureau on Sunday issued an advisory saying that all foreigners with transit or tourist visas or visa on arrival (VoA), whose stay in Thailand was extended due to the COVID-19 outbreak, must leave Thailand by Sept. 26.

The cabinet recently approved the extension of stay until Sept. 26 for foreigners stranded in Thailand due to COVID-19 pandemic.

The Immigration Bureau said it will not issue any further automatic extension for tourists after Sept. 26.

The bureau said only tourists who can show evidences of illness, or obstacles such as no flights available, will be allowed an extension.

Each extension will be granted for no more than 30 days.

From immigration - pay attention to the top part - short term visa holders MUST prepare to depart.

Thai Immigration releases more information on "Grace Period" for visa  amnesty - The Pattaya News

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Doesn't worry me, I'm applying for 60 days on Friday.

Then after a couple more weeks, my 400k will have been in the bank long enough for a year extension.

Just tired of idiots posting false information.

I wish you the best, I will be doing my extension in October as my O-A Visa runs out and I will have had the 800K seasoned as well.  Tired myself of all the folks who just can not see the forest through the trees as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Benitostacos said:

Haha I feel you. I spent so much time and energy getting the first covid extension only to have the amnesty kick in days later. 

My gf thinks an amnesty or some type of leniancy is possible if social media or news posts go viral of families getting split up, or seeing people stranded at the airport. Thai Govt hates bad PR especially on Facebook. 

Exactly!  If we want it extended, we need media and social media pressure and reporting.  It's the reason it happened to begin with.  We need social media campaigns!  So who will it be?  Richard Burrow is a usually good voice for us, but he's been a bit quiet. 

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

The government hasn't said a word, one way or the other.

Please link to the government stating amnesty extension won't happen.

Seems like they updated immigration website. Now the same 'amnesty ends reminder banner come top of the site when you go in there'

Also they dont need to make many annoucements about its not really going to happen etc.

I would hope to see amnesty, im not here as tourist, actually i have no status now, only amnesty.

Been contacting my relatives for getting back "home", cause it still seems that they wont let us to extend non im b visas here. 

Not going to agent because i can provide same paper by my self. 

Even the situation is quite sh i t for some of us, "stop crying and march, change your socks and keep your rifle clean" 

9 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Doesn't worry me, I'm applying for 60 days on Friday.

Then after a couple more weeks, my 400k will have been in the bank long enough for a year extension.

Just tired of idiots posting false information.

Would also point out that your situation doesn't require a further extension. It idiots that keep posting and dreaming about a further amnesty that are going to complain "Why didn't the government help us." as if 6 months wasn't enough, 'corruption' visas available, emabassy letters available etc. The aim of this is to help people, not give them false hope. If another amnesty was happening, it would have come by now, as it needs time to be published in the royal gazette prior to becoming law.

Edited by 2530Ubon
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

There are so many options - for those of us (me too!) on short stay visas. Make a plan now, so that you don't get caught out. My plan is extend my tourist visa, then convert to a long term visa with the assistance of an agent.

Edited by 2530Ubon
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

I wish you the best, I will be doing my extension in October as my O-A Visa runs out and I will have had the 800K seasoned as well.  Tired myself of all the folks who just can not see the forest through the trees as well.

Welcome to the 800K group , right choice , from now on all shall go in a flash , as it did for me 7 times already ….. great peace of mind solution …. just keep an eye not to go under 800K ,after application for 3 months (or never,... to be on  the safest..)

Edited by david555
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, david555 said:

Welcome to the 800K group , right choice , from now on all shall go in a flash , as it did for me 7 times already ….. great peace of mind solution …. just keep an eye not to go under 800K ,after application for 3 months (or never to be the safest..)

Thanks, it is in a fixed deposit account, never wanted to have to play the final game and convert as I was going back and forth twice a year to the US for visits and appointments 2 to 3 weeks each time.  Now with the borders closed, I played the final card and dropped the coin in the bank back in August, not really an issue, I just had to move some instruments around to free up the cash.

Just now, ThailandRyan said:

Thanks, it is in a fixed deposit account, never wanted to have to play the final game and convert as I was going back and forth twice a year to the US for visits and appointments 2 to 3 weeks each time.  Now with the borders closed, I played the final card and dropped the coin in the bank back in August, not really an issue, I just had to move some instruments around to free up the cash.

if fixed account .... take care it allows you to wit draw at any moment ….as I.O. allow it , but must be available at any moment ….., 

2 minutes ago, david555 said:

if fixed account .... take care it allows you to wit draw at any moment ….as I.O. allow it , but must be available at any moment ….., 

It is locked in for 2 years, and there is no way I wish to pay a fee to withdraw it as there is no need.  Financially set, even if the market crashes, and the Bitcoin market also collapses, still set.

Just now, ThailandRyan said:

It is locked in for 2 years, and there is no way I wish to pay a fee to withdraw it as there is no need.  Financially set, even if the market crashes, and the Bitcoin market also collapses, still set.

Check this with professional people concerning Immigration rule as this locked could give a big problem  !!!

just to not have a bad surprise !

2 hours ago, khhainuui said:

Is it same as murphys law? I assume you speak English english, just asking cause not native speaker.

Sod's law is a British culture axiom that "if something can go wrong, it will", sometimes also made to include that it will happen at "the worst possible time". The term is commonly used in the United Kingdom, though in North America, "Murphy's law" is more popular. Wikipedia

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2530Ubon said:

Help (or a version of amnesty) is likely coming for people already here on legitimate long term visas, in the form of an easing of current immigration standards.

I was banking on this as well, falling in the gaps so to speak on a non-B for employement that expired during the amnesty, and was told to wait by agents, but I don't really think we can count on measures for long term visas either.
They have no reason to wait for the last minute to modify rules for long-stay visas, as it does take some time to reach immigration offices, and it's quite a process.

For a similar example, Indonesia allowed people with expired KITAS (work/stay permits) as well as tourists to apply for a long stay Social B211 visa in country (60 days, extendable up to 6 months, and now more given the pandemic), which was unprecedented.
This was announced in advance, caused a bit of chaos as immigration offices weren't clear on the rules, some people got ripped of by agents, immigration extended their initial application deadline and now everyone's pretty muchsorted.

Not sure what to make of the radio silence that we're hearing now regarding people on non-tourist visas that are now on amnesty limbo.
Current guess, which is as good as any's, would be that they just want everyone out, might do something for those who's long stay visas haven't expired yet, but later on.

Edited by bjaz

Even they planning to make new "amnesty" , they watch first is there any need for that! Ok they never been sharpe's ben, but they see how many have leave from coundry! And how many still left who have't get out. Maybe many guys is going to be overstay if wait too long! !

53 minutes ago, david555 said:

Perfectly allowable as I could pull it out and just loose interest if needed. Not an issue. I also qualify for the 65k monthly transfers as well, transfer 150k monthly to live off of. Just hate getting the bank statements as well as the letter. My statements average 5 pages each as I use that account for everything I do not use my credit cards for.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1