Amnesty will Happen

1 minute ago, ThailandRyan said:

Perfectly allowable as I could pull it out and just loose interest if needed. Not an issue. I also qualify for the 65k monthly transfers as well, transfer 150k monthly to live off of. Just hate getting tge bank statements as well as the letter. My statements average 5 pages each as I use that account for everything I do not use my credit cards for.

O.K. than , as this post from you said the opposite , that is why I advised to inform … :

"It is locked in for 2 years, and there is no way I wish to pay a fee to withdraw it as there is no need.  Financially set, even if the market crashes, and the Bitcoin market also collapses, still set. "

8 minutes ago, david555 said:

O.K. than , as this post from you said the opposite , that is why I advised to inform … :

"It is locked in for 2 years, and there is no way I wish to pay a fee to withdraw it as there is no need.  Financially set, even if the market crashes, and the Bitcoin market also collapses, still set. "

Sorry should have said its a fixed deposit account for 2 years which auto renews and the money can be withdrawn any time with a penalty

• Thanks 1

British Embassy are issuing extension letter now, it only takes 2 days. Very quick. Just send them your details by email. You will get the letter within 5 days they say. I know it is true, I have seen an extension letter. Only took 2 days.

Edited by ray666
mistake
  • Like 1

On 9/16/2020 at 4:11 PM, ray666 said:

British Embassy are issuing extension letter now, it only takes 2 days. Very quick. Just send them your details by email. You will get the letter within 5 days they say. I know it is true, I have seen an extension letter. Only took 2 days.

I got the extension letter from my US Embassy.  And I am currently on the Amnesty thingy. And although I am happy to pay for a visa extension to remain here, if possible, I am not sure it is possible at this point. My question is specifically about a date of 11th of September. I did not realize until it was too late that there was something going on about requiring a free-stamp thingy in your passport on or before 11th of Sep to get ANY other kind of visa beyond the Amnesty program date of 26 SEP. Is that true? Did I need to get another stamp in my passport by the 11th before I can apply for any other kind of extension to remain here? I cannot find any info about on this other than the one place I originally saw it, and that is really old info by now.

17 minutes ago, Terry B said:

My question is specifically about a date of 11th of September.

That was only to apply for a non immigrant visa entry at immigration.

It does not apply for any extension of stay application. You can apply for a 30 day extension with the embassy letter.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, ThaiVisaCentre said:

We get at least 20 people commenting on our advertisements every day saying that amnesty will be extended.

The truth is no one knows, and currently the chances of that happening seem extremely slim.

Most of everyone that could submit for an extension of stay has already done so, or at least got the ball rolling.

There is still time to contact your embassy for letter (if they are issuing them), but from what we have heard as long as you have a letter right now the chances of approval is very high (but this could change if you wait too long).

As for agents, there are still a few good agencies that can help you, but your options will probably be reduced by next week.

If all else fails you will be on overstay, and you may do this up to 90 days without any serious penalties, other than the maximum fine of 20,000 THB if you don't cause any problem (currently).

So if you only need to stay here for 1-3 months then you shouldn't be concerned, but if you actually live here long term... Please stop waiting for an amnesty extension, it is simply not worth the risk at this point.

I have hope!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/16/2020 at 2:11 PM, BritManToo said:

The government hasn't said a word, one way or the other.

Please link to the government stating amnesty extension won't happen.

An amnesty might still happen but, if it does, it will be a change of mind by the cabinet.

Although people like to pretend that Immigration is not part of the Thai authorities, the reality is that they implement government policy with respect to enforcement of immigration laws. Immigration was informed in July of the government's decision (a decision into which they had considerable influence) and had responsibility for communicating the decision to foreigners who are here. I believe Immigration at the highest levels has done so, and there is no evidence that they are lying.

For those without options there's nothing to lose as have been mentioned. Wait till the last minute & even then still have another 90 days on overstay although I guess overstay could actually be 6 months already if on full amnesty isn't it which isn't documented in the passport ????

Still many who can't get or only randomly/difficult embassy letters i.e. EU/UK etc. Russians?

So how many is still here without any options? 100k? a handful? 500k?
How many went with agents? Apparently 'quotas' are already full & no additional? another 100k?

Embassy ext. I think is not too many...

But as OP said. Don't worry amnesty WILL be extended as we already paid ???? So yes I hope it will. Or at least some 'easing' as Phuket imm./news continue to insist will at least happen in last minute. Just be patient!!

3 minutes ago, Jackcwba said:

What if this special tourist visa flops ? A safe back up would be extending the amnesty but they aren’t smart enough to think about these things.

The special tourist visa is aimed at attracting people outside of Thailand.  I don't know how anyone would connect it to an amnesty for those already in Thailand.  Besides, it will be loooong after Sept 26 before there's any indication whether the STV will attract significant numbers of baht.  Because it sure isn't expected to attract significant numbers of tourists.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Jackcwba said:

I think they will announce it either next Tuesday Wednesday at the latest IF there is one.

i have my letter anyway so I’m prepared for the worst.

What if this special tourist visa flops ? A safe back up would be extending the amnesty but they aren’t smart enough to think about these things.

lets see.

How would the special visa flop? People are already falling over themselves to get one and wait for the process to start. I'm reading on many travel forums and the demand is extraordinarily high. People are prepared and willing to pay high prices even if that sounds alien to some folks on the usual Thailand-centric forums.

Why don't you approach an agent now and see if there is still a solution available for a Non-O volunteer?

Edited by FlyingThai

53 minutes ago, worldfun said:

For those without options there's nothing to lose as have been mentioned. Wait till the last minute & even then still have another 90 days on overstay although I guess overstay could actually be 6 months already if on full amnesty isn't it which isn't documented in the passport ????

This is a good point because if they (Immigration) go by stamp that would be a really nasty experience for many overstayers.

Unless someone was able to secure the elusive "Permission of stay until SEP 26th" stamp the official permit would long be expired. Not sure that they want to open that can of worms though. Considering most would likely leave from BKK Airport that's not really a venue where they can extract brown envelopes either. I'd be a fine + ban. Unrealistic.

13 hours ago, BritTim said:

An amnesty might still happen but, if it does, it will be a change of mind by the cabinet.

Although people like to pretend that Immigration is not part of the Thai authorities, the reality is that they implement government policy with respect to enforcement of immigration laws. Immigration was informed in July of the government's decision (a decision into which they had considerable influence) and had responsibility for communicating the decision to foreigners who are here. I believe Immigration at the highest levels has done so, and there is no evidence that they are lying.

I do not think there will be another amnesty but I wouldn't be as confident as 2560ubon and call people idiots. The last amnesty announcement came after immigration said there will be no more amnesty.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Wongkitlo said:

I do not think there will be another amnesty but I wouldn't be as confident as 2560ubon and call people idiots. The last amnesty announcement came after immigration said there will be no more amnesty.

Immigration does not make the rules however, and so for them to speak is generally out of turn.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Wongkitlo said:

If you read the posts, 'idiots' actually came from the previous forum member, i was merely flipping his statement around. Regardless, It is idiotic to wait for a further amnesty when you're being told -short stay/VOA/exemption holders should please prepare to depart by the September the 26th OR arrange a long term visa.

Those with genuine issues getting home can claim an embassy letter of support. Visa help is apparently on the way for others in difficulties such as a loosening of the current IO standards. If there is a third amnesty, it will not be for tourist visa holders. Have a plan!!!

There's also going to be an update to the 'SMART' visa - easier to obtain, new fields added, start up's etc. and, there's a rumor that this is what us digital nomads have been waiting for .... independent experts who don't do any work inside Thailand may be able to qualify for a long term visa in exchange for tax contributions.

Edited by 2530Ubon
missing information
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, impulse said:

I think the demand you refer to is from a few long stay expats that have been locked out- away from their families, their goodies, and their favorite bar girls.

We won't know the real demand for a few months, after that pent up demand is satiated.  I can see it dropping like a stone after a few thousand long stay guys get in, and they have to start attracting genuine tourists.

Of course, I look at the way it's structured and contend it's not a special program for tourists at all.  It's really tailored quite nicely to allow chartered planeloads from The Middle Kingdom to come down and continue buying up condos...

I agree with you. But 1200 people per month isn't a lot. Out of interest I did a little poll in my circle of friends and business acquaintances, 23 of them said they are just waiting for the 'GO' signal to get on the list. If I already know 23 then the number goes into thousands and definitely enough to satisfy the quota until Nov 2021.

My prediction however is that there will be a lot of gaming the system. As soon as the list of requirement came out people started to contact friends in Thailand to prepare fake rental agreements etc. Many will also not stay that long at all, just go back and clear out their condo/house then leave again after a few weeks/months. The revenue projections the government has for this scheme are a total fantasy.

Edited by FlyingThai
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Wongkitlo said:

I cut and pasted from Investwise 16/7

investwise? Did you mean investvine? 

Point is, flights really were impacted then. Now it's not too difficult to find a flight to UK/Eurozone/America. Prior to the amnesty announcement, there was a lot of talk about another one in the pipeline - due to their being next to no flights and Thailand had 'officially closed it's skies.' with the emergency decree. Not the same situation now.

There is nothing wrong with hoping for another amnesty, i don't have to extend my visa until the end of the month so it would be great to have another one. HOWEVER, if i didn't have the luxury of that extension, i would certainly have arranged a more permanent solution by now.

By now of course, it may be too late to convert to another visa without the aid of an embassy letter, or an agent. Bit tricky to get these letters from the British embassy, there are lot's of rejections being reported on this forum. If there are people still who haven't made another plan now (i'm seeing lot's of these too!), then please, help yourself and find out what you can do before it's too late! 

1 hour ago, Wongkitlo said:

I cut and pasted from Investwise 16/7

Thai immigration spokesman reiterated towards Khaosod newspaper that another round of amnesty extension was “unlikely.” He recommended foreigners whose respective embassies refuse to issue the required papers leave the country before July 31 to avoid being fined for overstay or even arrested and deported, noting that Thailand had shown “enough leniency for foreigners” with more than three months of visa amnesty.

here is the article from 20 july

https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/visa-amnesty-extension-very-likely-decision-this-week