Squeeky Brakes Mystery

I have an odd squeeky noise coming from brakes.  But ONLY is our indoor carpark. I can hear anywhere else.

Outside on road, fine. I have tested.

The indoor carpark has floor with really good traction. I mean everyone's tyre let out this blood curdling noise as they reverse into their spaces.

But my brakes really make a lot of noise in there, especially going down the ramps.

Brake pads were changed not too long ago. Could it be brake fluid? Dust? Or just the unusual sticky floors? The car break hard with the slightest touch on these floors.

I only ask here cos I don't trust mechanics here.

• Haha 1

Brakes are a friction device with metal & semi metallic surfaces scrubbing against each other to stop.....

In an enclosed, echoing garage they would sound off under light application, especially cold.....

The fact they are fine outside probably means they are ok..

If you ride the brakes as some drivers do it can build up hot spots & a glaze that can help cause the noise....

Shops that sell "lifetime" pads sell harder, more metallic, pads which will also cause noise....The pads don't wear out but the rotor surfaces suffer as they are eaten/worn away.....

Being as how you don't trust mechanics how does your car get proper servicing &  inspections.....?

Edited by pgrahmm
  • Like 1

As it only happens in the indoor car park I would think its the tyres squeaking on the concrete floor.

Most of those car parks have a smooth finish to the floor and this makes tyres often squeal.

Smoothed concrete on indoor carparks looks nicer than rough cast and is better for walking on but will not give good grip to cars.       

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Jaxxper said:

Tried a small dab of copper grease on the non friction plate that the caliper cylinders push on ? That should stop any brake “squealing”.

The brakes would make a noise on any surface if it were to do with brake squeal...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Laza 45 said:

Sounds more like squeaky tires on the smooth concrete to me.. but could be dust in the brakes.. I've had that before..

I think you're correct. inside your parking area you are on a finished surface of some kind, and no speed is used, so I don't understand the "brake squeal", tyre noise yes.

Some disk units are fitted with "anti squeal shims" which sometime actually squeal when at speed as they vibrate, this is cured with a little light lubrication.

Maybe it's your parking brake, when you arrive & stop you apply the handbrake, the car settles down.

When you get back in to leave you release the handbrake which may make a noise as the "shoes" slip against the drum?