Ubon Ratchathani: Ride to school becomes a nightmare for students

webfact

Ride to school becomes a nightmare for students

By The Nation

800_902ef43205c4e94.jpg?v=1600245043

A pick-up truck packed with more than 20 students from Ubon Ratchathani’s Khemmarat Technical College flipped over on Wednesday (September 16) after it swerved to avoid a dog.

The accident injured many of the passengers, including three seriously.

Police arrived at around 9am to find the car and passengers lying on the side of the road. Three passengers with serious injuries were immediately sent to a local hospital, while rescue staff tended to those with minor injuries.

77q7KToplTG3ZUsP_130312.jpg

Parents later showed up to pick up their children, who were in a state of shock.

Driver Paiboon Manniew, 61, said  he was trying to overtake another car but had to suddenly swerve when a dog jumped in front. That’s when he lost control and the car flipped over.

Though police found no traces of alcohol in Paiboon’s blood, he has still been charged with negligent driving resulting in the injury of others.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30394637

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-09-16

• Sad 3

16 hours ago, 2 is 1 said:

Good they have "safe" way to bring student's to school! Police is front of school every morning and do nothing! Only wave car's passing bye!

Last  night I had a Police highway patrol  car swerving left then right behind me trying to  pass, way  too  close, I have no respect for Thai law enforcement in anyway , they are as idiotic as the rest of the drivers

• Like 1

15 hours ago, darksidedog said:

He had 20 kids on board and was overtaking other vehicles? He is taking kids to school, not competing in a race.

One hopes the parents won't be stupid enough to let this dangerous idiot ever drive their kids anywhere again.

i  wouldnt be too sure about that, they never seem to LEARN form anything imo

• Like 1

3 hours ago, scorecard said:

Would be interesting to know the full details surrounding 'trying to pass another car'.

E.g:

- Did he really need to get in front of the other car?  Why?

- Is he a driver who 'must be in front' but for no logical reason?

- Given there's 20 students on the pick up, should he have been deliberately driving more slow?

- How fast was he travelling when the dog jumped out?

- Does a dog present mean he's in a built up area? If so, Why was he driving fast and/or had to pass?

- Is the pick up 'licensed' to carry 20 students?

- and more... 

Question 2 applies to nearly all Thai drivers

18 hours ago, transam said:

Thought it was now against the law for folk to ride in the back of a truck, let alone doing it with kids....????

It's like Any Law in Los ,  Care Factor ZERO .

STARTING NOW, YOU CAN’T RIDE IN BACK OF A TRUCK (SO SAY THE POLICE)

By

Teeranai Charuvastra, News Chief

-

April 5, 2017 6:14 pm

A policeman in Khon Kaen stops a pickup truck on Wednesday that apparently violates the newly enforced rule of no riding on the back. Read: Starting Now, You Can’t Ride in Back of a Truck (So Say the Police)

BANGKOK — Wednesday marked the first day two road safety measures came into effect – all passengers traveling in vehicles with seatbelts must wear them, and passengers will no longer be allowed to ride in the back of pickup trucks.

While the first measure, made law last week by a junta emergency order, was not a matter of controversy, the latter was met with confusion and incredulity, because riding in truck beds has been common practice for decades, despite being illegal for a long time.

The announcement came just a week before hundreds of thousands of commuters will hit the roads during Songkran, the Thai New Year holiday. Riding in the back of a pickup is an economical and convenient means of travel for large families, though officials said the habit contributes to many road fatalities.

Contrary to widespread misunderstanding that both measures were issued by the junta, the prohibition on truck-bed riding has been enshrined in law since 1979, only now the authorities are choosing to enforce it, according to the director of the Land Transport Department.

BS swerve to miss dog ,bet there was no dog . The school buses speed past me every morning in their race to get to school ,then I see them 20 minutes later parked up drinking untill race at 1600. This morning I saw a police check point set up , many cars and motorbikes were turning around in the road less than 100 meters from it , the police stood and watched , unbelieveable .

19 hours ago, darksidedog said:

He had 20 kids on board and was overtaking other vehicles? He is taking kids to school, not competing in a race.

One hopes the parents won't be stupid enough to let this dangerous idiot ever drive their kids anywhere again.

Yeah they will It never stops Life is cheap

7 hours ago, scorecard said:

Would be interesting to know the full details surrounding 'trying to pass another car'.

E.g:

- Did he really need to get in front of the other car?  Why?

- Is he a driver who 'must be in front' but for no logical reason?

- Given there's 20 students on the pick up, should he have been deliberately driving more slow?

- How fast was he travelling when the dog jumped out?

- Does a dog present mean he's in a built up area? If so, Why was he driving fast and/or had to pass?

- Is the pick up 'licensed' to carry 20 students?

- and more... 

Maybe the driver in front slowed down because he saw a dog in the road?

• Like 1

I think it's complete B/S must have been hell of a swerve to flip the truck over considering the amount of weight in the truck 20 Thai kids on there.

His responsibility is those kids not a soi dog there would be no way I would swerve to miss a dog would a dash cam show a dog run out?

Edited by ChipButty

What sort of mind would you have to even think it was appropriate to transport 20 kids in the back of a Ute . 
How in the hell do you flip a car if a dog runs out in front of you unless you are driving at speed and turn at 90 degrees . 
No thought that your actions probably will kill or injure your passengers . 
if you did something like that in the West you wouldn’t see the light of day for a long while . It is sickening g how stupid these people are .