NON-O Retired Visa Is Not Enough To Come Back To Thailand

20 hours ago, HampiK said:

If you are married or have a Thai child (With the child I am not 100% sure) then you can come back even with a retirement extension. It's not depending on the Visa/Extension... more of if you have some ties in Thailand, which I think is more accurate as only look on the Visa/extension.

But still as I wrote in another thread.. it's sad for the retirement group, that they can't come back.

Another big questions would be even you could come back not mean you easily can come back..... as from some countries there are still long lists of people waiting for being able to come back. Even the lists become shorter than for example in July. I heard of some people who had the luck for coming back, they waited on the lists for 3 months!

It is very sad for people on retirement Visa who can't come back here but think of the Australians who can't even get back to their own country and are in terrible plight with no money stuck abroad I believe also some Canadians in the same position and many foreigners from different countries cannot get home because they cannot afford the huge airfares. It seemed that Thailand is doing a lot better than most countries their citizens can get home and those married to Thais

• Like 1

NON-O Retired Visa Is Not Enough To Come Back To Thailand

This situation is clearly known for a long time already. Nothing new at all and it will not change in the near future.

The OP must have slept for a long time if he did not know about it. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

23 hours ago, fredob43 said:

That's the way I read it as well. I had to go back this November for a wedding. Now not going. I have a retirement visa done on the 800k in a Thai bank. I am married to a Thai so I might get back who knows??? but I'm not going to do 14 days in a Hotel Cell for anyone.

No you won't come back I doesn't matter that you are Married You got an Extension Based on Retirement So on Paper you Ain't Married That's the way they see that at Immigration ,Good luck and change back to the Extension based on Marriage.

22 hours ago, HampiK said:

If you are married or have a Thai child (With the child I am not 100% sure) then you can come back even with a retirement extension. It's not depending on the Visa/Extension... more of if you have some ties in Thailand, which I think is more accurate as only look on the Visa/extension.

Let's see how the situation changes. I adopted a retirement extension simply because I was able to accomplish it in one day at CW instead of coming back after 30 days' consideration. I am married to a Thai, both here & in Canada (married twice, must love her!). The big worry for us oldies (I am 70) will be any insurance requirement for re-entry. If this situation changes when I'm due to March, I'll shift back to a "Thai Wife" visa.

Edited by unblocktheplanet
add

1 hour ago, unblocktheplanet said:

Let's see how the situation changes. I adopted a retirement extension simply because I was able to accomplish it in one day at CW instead of coming back after 30 days' consideration. I am married to a Thai, both here & in Canada (married twice, must love her!). The big worry for us oldies (I am 70) will be any insurance requirement for re-entry. If this situation changes when I'm due to March, I'll shift back to a "Thai Wife" visa.

Yes, I fully understand the motivation to change from Marriage to Retirement extension. and up of the 800K of money in the bank it's easier in many ways (especially you can become the extension the same day and not need to go again in 30 days. 

The other parts with the Insurance, I was thinking at the moment it's only if you had a O-A Visa to begin with. When you started with an ordinary O Visa and then do extensions based on retirement it should not involve the Insurance. (I think the Idea of the Insurance good, but they should accept every Insurance company and not only the cheap overpriced Thai Insurances. Especially as the people who really have in Insurance already not want to change to a bad one if they have a good one already.
... but who know what will happen in a few years even with the marriage extension. We only know when they decided something.

5 hours ago, digger70 said:

No you won't come back I doesn't matter that you are Married You got an Extension Based on Retirement So on Paper you Ain't Married That's the way they see that at Immigration ,Good luck and change back to the Extension based on Marriage.

Thanks for that, but I'm not going to do one based on marriage. To many papers to fill out. I much prefer the 1 page + 1 Snap and letter from my bank. Last one took an hour including getting letter, now good for a year +. Simple.

I also like the bit of interest I get on my monies here. Nothing when it's in the UK.

Anyway I have no intention of going anywhere at present. Having to do 14 days in a Hotel Cell on my return is something I'll never do. Looks like I'm here till things change. Big thankyou Buddha.  

Edited by fredob43
  • Like 2

As far as I am aware the decision of who gets a Certificate of Entry and a seat on a repatriation flight is not made by immigration.

• Like 1

I think that is nonsense.

Eligibility is determined by marital status which is evidenced by a marriage certificate.

The basis of the visa/extension is irrelevant.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

Eligibility is determined by marital status which is evidenced by a marriage certificate.

It doesn't matter what type of visa/extension you're on. If you're married, the marriage certificate will be enough to get the CoE. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bkk_bwana said:

Not even for your own wife?

I don't have to leave. The only thing that I was going back for was a wedding. Not going now. Don't like weddings anyway, so can stay with Wife. Mind you that might seem like being in a CELL. LOL

Until this Rat Flue 19 ends I'll be here Forever if needs be.   

18 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

If you say so ,But you Wrong It goes by Extension of Stay Based on what you go for.

Marriage  or Retirement

7 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The MFA is one step and then the embassy where you apply approves and issues the certificate of entry.

This from a embassy website for example.

Non-O-Spouses_Children-of-Thais.jpg

I was Replying to this post: 

That's the way I read it as well. I had to go back this November for a wedding. Now not going. I have a retirement visa done on the 800k in a Thai bank. I am married to a Thai so I might get back who knows??? but I'm not going to do 14 days in a Hotel Cell for anyone.

I replied:

I don't think that this has anything to do with what you posted here .

13 hours ago, digger70 said:

I don't think that this has anything to do with what you posted here .

It appeared to be discussion of who issuing the certificate of entry and that is what I posted a reply to.

Some embassies will issue a certificate solely based upon being married to a Thai and it does not matter what visa or extension you have for entry. For example London would have you get an non-o based upon marriage and the one in the US would issue it with a OA visa or extension of stay based upon retirement.

The OP is correct unfortunately.

We are hoping that they start to allow other long term visa classes to enter Thailand next month.

But if you are married, just make sure you have your marriage certificate with you and you can apply for a marriage visa outside of Thailand.

We do not understand why they cannot just allow them to show the marriage certificate, or proof of child, and enter under retirement. 

But this is how they are currently enforcing it.

Edited by ThaiVisaCentre

On 9/17/2020 at 5:43 PM, digger70 said:

I first entered Thailand on a Non OA based on retirement and received numerous annual extensions of stay based on retirement.  This year I applied for my annual extension of stay based on marriage; which was approved.  I believe that it is your current approved basis for your extension of stay (mine being marriage) that would permit me to re-enter Thailand should I exit...complying with all the other new requirements of insurance, testing, etc

9 hours ago, ThaiVisaCentre said:

The OP is correct unfortunately.

We are hoping that they start to allow other long term visa classes to enter Thailand next month.

But if you are married, just make sure you have your marriage certificate with you and you can apply for a marriage visa outside of Thailand.

We do not understand why they cannot just allow them to show the marriage certificate, or proof of child, and enter under retirement. 

If you have an approved extension of stay based on marriage even tho the original, and long ago original entry was a OA Retirement visa, , then you do not need to apply for an OA Visa based on marriage to get back in.  You already have an approved marriage basis.

12 hours ago, ThaiVisaCentre said:

where did you get this information as i was just about to apply for the COE hopefully using my child's birth certificate with myself named as the the father and bearing my family name