Thailand Braces for Tropical Storm “Noul”

snoop1130

Thailand Braces for Tropical Storm “Noul”

nmjk.PNG

BANGKOK, Sept 16 (TNA) – Agriculture Minister Chalermchai Sri-on ordered the Royal Irrigation Department to brace for the tropical storm “Noul”, which will move into northeastern Thailand this weekend.

The Meteorological Department said the storm is expected to develop to the Category 5, typhoon and make landfall over the middle Vietnam before moving into Thailand’s Northeast from September 18-20.

He instructed officials to prepare for possible floods and to work with local authorities to provide assistance immediately in case of an emergency.

Full Story: https://tna.mcot.net/english-news-539597

tnalogo.jpg

-- © Copyright TNA 2020-09-16

Flood alert as tropical storm No Eul heads for Thailand

National

800_d7a1f5495197691.jpg?v=1600252857

Chalermchai Sreeon

Agriculture and Cooperatives Minister Chalermchai Sreeon has ordered the Royal Irrigation Department (RID) to be on high alert when tropical storm No Eul blows into Thailand this weekend.

The storm is forecast to bring heavy rain and flash flooding to the North, Northeast and East of the country from Friday to Sunday.

The RID has been ordered to set up teams to monitor flood-prone areas and cooperate with local authorities to solve flood problems as fast as possible.

"Also, the department has been instructed to improve storage capacity to conserve water for the upcoming drought season, because reservoirs nationwide are currently at a low level," said Chalermchai, who spoke after presiding over a water management 2020-21 meeting at the Royal Irrigation Department's Smart Water Operation Centre (SWOC).

RID chief Thongplew Kongjun said he has instructed his officials to prepare excavators, tractors and water pumps in flood-risk areas, as well as monitor dams, reservoirs and watergates, and clear waterways of obstructions.

Thailand currently had 36.76 billion cubic metres of water stored in large and medium-sized reservoirs nationwide, of which 12.94 billion cu/m was for irrigation, he said. Large and medium-sized reservoirs currently accounted for 48 per cent of total stored water, down from 65 per cent in the same period last year.

The Chao Phraya basin's four dams, Bhumibol, Sirikit, Khwae Noi Bamrung Dan and Pasak Jolasid, were 41-per-cent full with a total 10.15 billion cu/m of water, of which 3.45 billion cu/m was for irrigation.

"We have used 3.33 billion cubic metres of water in Chao Phraya basin, accounting for 103 per cent of the water management plan [this year], but we can confirm that there is sufficient water for consumption, agriculture, and the environment to last through the rainy season," Thongplew said.

The RID was conserving as much water as possible in line with the Agriculture and Cooperatives Minister's plan to reduce risks of shortage during the upcoming drought season, he added.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30394647

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-09-17

15 hours ago, kotsak said:

It will be merely a depression (if not just a low) when it enters Thailand but as usual they like to use big words to scare (and prepare) the serfs. God forbid a real tropical storm (typhoon level) hits this place, everything will become airborne.

It will be a depression if the rice paddies don't get topped up.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

Lost power at 4:30 am this morning as 105 mph hurricane Sally is decimating the Gulf Coasts of N. Florida and Alabama.

More than 1 foot of rain already...Sally's forward motion is 3mph...will be dumping another 12" or more of rain before it moves on across Alabama...High tides exacerbate the dire situation...Roads & bridges closed...too dangerous for emergency personnel to respond to calls for help.

????

I hear and feel for ya. After living in South Florida for 30 years and with property in The Bahamas, It was time to liquidate and get out for good. I think I went thru 3 Cat one's and 3 or 4 bigger near misses. I was in Palm Beach and we alway seemed to get lucky, especially the last 3 or 4 years with some BIG one's rolling thru. The odds are against Florida in the future sticking out the way it does.

Not sure how the average families will afford to live there in the future with taxes and insurance going up wildly. But the markets currently booming I'm told. Good luck Thailand.

16 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

Lost power at 4:30 am this morning as 105 mph hurricane Sally is decimating the Gulf Coasts of N. Florida and Alabama.

More than 1 foot of rain already...Sally's forward motion is 3mph...will be dumping another 12" or more of rain before it moves on across Alabama...High tides exacerbate the dire situation...Roads & bridges closed...too dangerous for emergency personnel to respond to calls for help.

????

Well, I do wish all well. I continue to observe how fortunate to be retired in Chiang Mai. Not missing the tornado warnings, remnants of hurricanes moving up the Ohio Valley from the Gulf. Not missing the cold air in the winter sweeping down from Canada. And certainly not missing being around Americans denying reality with Covid ...

Seems like the only way Issan can get its required rainfall is through these storms that come from the South China Sea, and dump tons of rain. They were very rare until recently. Now it seems like at least one comes into the region every year. Had better get out the water pumps like they did in July 2017 when water covered Kalasin, and Sarakham for at least 2 months after that storm.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, kotsak said:

It will be merely a depression (if not just a low) when it enters Thailand but as usual they like to use big words to scare (and prepare) the serfs. God forbid a real tropical storm (typhoon level) hits this place, everything will become airborne.

They have come here in the past. Emphasis on they. Yes, they tear up things. Your point was???? I remember the trees uprooted and roofs torn off in England when it was hit in 1986.

24 minutes ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

Maybe you should really research your weather history. They've been coming since before I was born and they always bring lots of rain to Thailand (and floods sometimes).

Indeed! the worst I remember was Typhoon Gay in 1989, over 800 dead, had the dis-pleasure being offshore in GOT ???? 

Thailand has always relied on storms, "unfortunate" that they cut most of the forests that used to mop up the water and prevent flooding and land slides!

2 hours ago, wwest5829 said:

Well, I do wish all well. I continue to observe how fortunate to be retired in Chiang Mai. Not missing the tornado warnings, remnants of hurricanes moving up the Ohio Valley from the Gulf. Not missing the cold air in the winter sweeping down from Canada. And certainly not missing being around Americans denying reality with Covid ...

Now if you could just get the government to take the winter pollution seriously.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Enzian said:

Now if you could just get the government to take the winter pollution seriously.

That is undeniably an issue in Thailand for me March, April, May. It was worse this past year than anytime since I retired here in 2011. I do stay in the air conditioned house, car and mall more during those months.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

Maybe you should really research your weather history. They've been coming since before I was born and they always bring lots of rain to Thailand (and floods sometimes).

Do a bit of research yourself.. the rain patterns have been changing.. In the past the SW monsoon off the Andaman Sea was predictable to start around the middle of May.. The last few years most of Thailand that relied on that pattern..particularly central Thailand.. have missed out and hence droughts in many places that grew rice on that rain for generations.  The NE monsoon that comes off the Pacific has always been there as well.. but.. for the last few years.. starting with the 2011 floods.. high ocean temperatures in the eastern Pacific have generated much stronger typhoons.  In the past NE Thailand had more or less predictable rain from these systems in the latter part of the monsoon season.  What has been happening in more recent years is much heavier rainfall at times causing widespread flooding ... as happened in 2011 & 2017. This year La Nina is replacing El Nino resulting lower ocean surface temperatures in the eastern Pacific and no serious typhoons that usually come through the Philippines.. then move on to Vietnam (around Danang) and move on up into China   ... occasionally NE Thailand gets rain from the edge of these storms.  This current storm is entirely different.. it was generated in the South China Sea.. and is coming across NE Thailand .. and on to the north west.. Chiang Mai.. area.. Thailand has always had monsoon rains.. but the patterns are changing and no longer predictable..  The weather map below is for 4 AM on Saturday.. Look where Noul is placed.. that is very unusual..

https://www.ventusky.com/?p=15.15;101.11;6&l=rain-3h&t=20200918/2100