Mask pricing???

moontang

Thought we could share info on mask purchases.. I was paying 2 for 14 for 711 brand.  Saw a guy at VM BTS selling boxes of 50 for 80 thb.. Can give specifics if needed... The one with carbon filter were 120 for 50 masks.  Both made in PRC.  Got off BTS at Ploenchit and they were 10 each.  Looks like they are here to stay, at least on transport. 

Most shops (Tops, Big C, Tesco etc) and pharmacies now have surgical / medical masks back in supply and sell boxes of 50 for between 200 and 300 Baht (different brands). I used them for the whole Covid mask-wearing policy. On top, I have cloth masks which I can use with carbon inlays, those I already use since long time for the whole air pollution / 2.5 issue.

I would not trust any of the street sellers, specially at the low prices you mentioned, I read some reports about recycled masks... 

28 minutes ago, Swiss1960 said:

Most shops (Tops, Big C, Tesco etc) and pharmacies now have surgical / medical masks back in supply and sell boxes of 50 for between 200 and 300 Baht (different brands). I used them for the whole Covid mask-wearing policy. On top, I have cloth masks which I can use with carbon inlays, those I already use since long time for the whole air pollution / 2.5 issue.

I would not trust any of the street sellers, specially at the low prices you mentioned, I read some reports about recycled masks... 

That would be possible on individual mask sales, but on a box of 50?  Think about it...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, moontang said:

That would be possible on individual mask sales, but on a box of 50?  Think about it...

Yes, they do... just google "Thailand recycle face masks" and find the articles, see pics below from the raids, second pic shows the 50p boxes labeled "SMP" 

Coronavirus: Police in Thailand discover used face masks 'being re-packaged  as new'

Cops bust trio for mask, gel scam

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Swiss1960 said:

Yes, they do... just google "Thailand recycle face masks" and find the articles, see pics below from the raids, second pic shows the 50p boxes labeled "SMP" 

Coronavirus: Police in Thailand discover used face masks 'being re-packaged  as new'

Cops bust trio for mask, gel scam

All that was in early March, when the entire industry was much different.  They were scarce then.  I have seen articles showing eyeglass recycling actually cost more than it would to simply buy them new glasses.  It seems like it would cost much more to recycle than produce them, and some of the gougers are already serving sentences, but you can't let your guard down.  Spend some time in Cambo and you will see some shockingly bad business scams like dead batteries, dead lighters, worthless fruits, refilled bottled water... hopefully not a preview of the new normal in LOS.

7 hours ago, sateuk said:

What an interesting topic of conversation how much was your mask! Get a life 

Well, if you would be living in Thailand, you would know that masks are essential and mandatory for almost everything you want to do (if you leave your house I mean), and there is pretty much a "no mask - no shopping" policy in place.

I remember when my sister-in-law hand-sewed fabric masks for the whole family, because there were no more masks on the market. That is when the fake and recycled masks came up... So for us living here, the topic of what masks you can get where for what price IS of interest - because we older gents want to keep our life ????

• Like 2

7 hours ago, sateuk said:

What an interesting topic of conversation how much was your mask! Get a life 

i agree. so since i read the topic i will input.....

got 1000 of lazada, chinese, delivered, seem ok, 15000 B, locally in pattaya, sealed pack of 10 fancy ones 170 B. 

looking to compare prices on a 'life' tomorrow.

During the early days in Sydney (March/April), when Facemasks were mostly sold out everywhere, I was able to buy ONLY 2 - at $2 apiece - other Pharmacies had prices of up to $5 per piece? ... clearly just a HUGE Rip-Off. Lately, as Facemasks became (almost) mandatary in Shops & public transport, I was able to buy a box of 50 for $ 50.00!!! Great Business opportunities?

7 hours ago, Swiss1960 said:

Well, if you would be living in Thailand, you would know that masks are essential and mandatory for almost everything you want to do (if you leave your house I mean), and there is pretty much a "no mask - no shopping" policy in place.

I bought a mask 3 or 4 months ago, and am still wearing it when I go shopping...................The show must go on

Edited by Susco

I bought a box of 50 for 500 baht back in Feb/March from my local pharmacy when they were in short supply, saw the same box of 50 for 60 baht in Future Park the other day .

I have a couple of cloth ones that I use mostly, wash and reuse, the disposable ones are good though, not hot and sticky like the cloth ones .

14 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

From about ฿75 including delivery at Lazada in Thailand. 

Those I bought on Shopee (3 ply) are clearly marked on box as not for medical use.  But for a good compromise between cost/breathing/covid believe they do indeed make sense and are much better than the multi use cotton types that many use.  Unfortunately they don't include the model.  

image.png.2d3069757815c96e8a9a5ec31512242d.png

18 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Those I bought on Shopee (3 ply) are clearly marked on box as not for medical use.  But for a good compromise between cost/breathing/covid believe they do indeed make sense and are much better than the multi use cotton types that many use.  Unfortunately they don't include the model. 

I'm not sure about that.... From what I've read, the cloth masks, if fit properly and made with a good double ply cotton fabric, can do a better job of protection than the paper "surgical" masks pictured above... In part because the cloth mask typically is going to have a closer, more form fitting closure on the face compared to the "surgical" kind that often has big gaps around the edges.

Also, of course, the cloth masks are washable and re-usable up to a certain point, whereas the paper masks ought to be basically one wear and done, meaning you're constantly having to repurchase and resupply those.

10 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Also, of course, the cloth masks are washable and re-usable up to a certain point, whereas the paper masks ought to be basically one wear and done, meaning you're constantly having to repurchase and resupply those.

Actually they are not paper and you can use longer term as long as you let dry well.   I would not want anything fitting tighter myself - an open space in front of mouth is much more comfortable (says someone who used to have to mask for -20f winter walks to school).  

image.png.f48aa9890914b5e466cc60667a87d700.png

5 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Actually they are not paper and you can use longer term as long as you let dry well.   I would not want anything fitting tighter myself - an open space in front of mouth is much more comfortable (says someone who used to have to mask for -20f winter walks to school).  

image.png.f48aa9890914b5e466cc60667a87d700.png

The part that's missing, about blocking all kinds of pollution, is those types of masks don't at all form a good seal to the surface of your face around the edges, meaning air and everything in it easily flows thru those gaps.

The mask doesn't need to be tight fitting in front of your mouth. But it's better if it's tight fitting around the edges to the surface of your face.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The part that's missing, about blocking all kinds of pollution, is those types of masks don't at all form a good seal to the surface of your face around the edges, meaning air and everything in it easily flows thru those gaps.

Which is good for life - no air no live.  ????

A point that has recently been made in USA (not by leadership) is that normal masks seem to offer some herd immunity to Covid by allowing small amounts of virus through which gets your immune system going (same as an immunization shot) so you have a very mild covid with no symptoms.  The big thing with masks is to limit amount of air drips spread face to face and distance and all the masks greatly help in that regard.  Obviously each person will have there own comfort, or not, level which can get really extreme in all directions.