BANGKOK
snoop1130

Philippines says engaging Western pharma firms, despite Duterte anger

Philippines says engaging Western pharma firms, despite Duterte anger

By Neil Jerome Morales

2020-09-16T062458Z_1_LYNXMPEG8F0FK_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-PHILIPPINES-VACCINE.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Visiting Chinese President Xi Jinping and Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte wave to the media before their one on one meeting at the Malacanang presidential palace in Manila, Philippines, November 20, 2018. REUTERS/Erik De Castro/Files

MANILA (Reuters) - The Philippines continues to negotiate supply deals with a wide range of COVID-19 vaccine makers, its health ministry said on Wednesday, despite its president scolding Western firms and saying he wanted Chinese and Russian vaccines.

The Philippines, which has the most infections and second highest number of deaths in Southeast Asia, is potentially a large market for vaccine makers with its population of 107 million.

"We are still continuously negotiating," Health Undersecretary Maria Rosario Vergeire told Reuters in a text message. "No vaccine manufacturers have 'formally' asked for pre-payment, though there have been insinuations during the discussions."

President Rodrigo Duterte on Monday lashed out at Western vaccine manufacturers for seeking advance payment or a reservation fee for vaccines that are still under clinical trials.

He pledged to prioritise Russia or China, countries that he frequently praises during his trademark verbal tirades at the West.

His government has talked to a number of potential vaccine suppliers, including those of Russia and China plus U.S. drugmaker Pfizer Inc and Moderna Inc. It plans to meet Australian biotech giant CSL Ltd.

A Philippine procurement law forbids payment of goods well ahead of delivery and before a product's specifications are finalised, putting the country at a disadvantage amid expected high global vaccine demand. The Philippines has recorded nearly 270,000 coronavirus infections and over 4,600 deaths.

In contrast, countries like the United States and the United Kingdom have committed to buy hundreds of millions of doses even as vaccines are still under late-stage trials.

The Philippines has joined a World Health Organization-led vaccine trials and allocation plan and is promoting itself as a site for pharma firms' phase 3 trials, Vergeire said.

"We are doing all efforts to put us in a position to access these vaccines," Vergeire told a regular news conference.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-09-16

Guess the power of little Duterte is fading. Maybe he have to kill some more small time drug dealers.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Another strongman that needs to be gotten rid of.

Dictators, autocrats and similar ilk all have an expiry date. His is long overdue and the product has gone rancid.

• Like 2

Russia or China vaccines? Would you trust vaccines from these places? No,than why would Duterte give them to millions of people,because their Cheap and fast? Whether they work or not is no consequence.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, SportRider said:

I am a stage 3 vaccine triallist of the Sinopharm (China) inactivated virus vaccine in UAE.

Thanks for taking the plunge, I hope you avoid any long term complications.

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

A Philippine procurement law forbids payment of goods well ahead of delivery and before a product's specifications are finalised, putting the country at a disadvantage amid expected high global vaccine demand. The Philippines has recorded nearly 270,000 coronavirus infections and over 4,600 deaths.

The ridiculous red tape around everything in the Philippines, especially hiring and firing workers, is needlessly keeping the Philippines in poverty.

Yep...better your citizens die or suffer than lose face by relying on another country's expertise.........They need an Arden...as do most countries.

1 hour ago, SportRider said:

It depends on the scientific credentials of the manufacturer and the trials.  I am a stage 3 vaccine triallist of the Sinopharm (China) inactivated virus vaccine in UAE.  Along with more than 30,000 others. Stages 1 and 2 had 100% success in participants developing antibodies. 

Oh boy! 

1 hour ago, SportRider said:

It depends on the scientific credentials of the manufacturer and the trials.  I am a stage 3 vaccine triallist of the Sinopharm (China) inactivated virus vaccine in UAE.  Along with more than 30,000 others. Stages 1 and 2 had 100% success in participants developing antibodies. 

No. Phase I and II trials were not not about the antibodies.

A Phase I clinical trial is intended to determine the dosing safety parameter of the product. The vaccine is provided to healthy subjects to see how he body responds. Patients are monitored for serious adverse reactions. Common reactions like a short term low fever, or pain at the injection site are acceptable. 

A Phase II clinical trial  is intended to measure/determine the impact  and relationship of multiple factors including dosing in respect to the immune response. For example does the dose work with only certain age or gender. Do older people need multiple doses.  

The issue I have is that the Chinese have already violated ethical guidelines, and there is a lack of transparency. I find it odd that the Chinese vaccine trials  to date have had no serious adverse reactions reported. It is normal to have  ADR reports. They occur because of human error or other underlying illnesses, not necessarily because of a vaccine deficiency.  Everything from China is perfect so far.  

I prefer to wait and take one of the  vaccines that come form organizations which have properly vetted their products.

The developed advanced countries were prudent to use multiple vaccine options and they overlap. None of them are going to take the Chinese or Russian products. And with their excess  vaccines, they will donate to poorer countries.

image.png.e86f6f5ff00a94f0f29a301017c3ce6a.png

Edited by geriatrickid
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Poet said:

Thanks for taking the plunge, I hope you avoid any long term complications.

He has a 50-50  chance of having received a placebo.  🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Benmart said:

Dictators, autocrats and similar ilk all have an expiry date. His is long overdue and the product has gone rancid.

euhhhhhhhhh 

where are you from and where are you living now

6 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

He has a 50-50  chance of having received a placebo.  🙂

At least. When the group is large enough phase three is often 1/3 placebo.

• Like 1