Chances of Brexit deal fading every day, EU Commission chief says

snoop1130

2 hours ago, vogie said:

Newton states that every action has an equal and opposite reaction, therefore your inaction leaves you where we are today, up a gumtree waving an EU flag whilst singing 'Don't Leave me This Way'

That law is not universal (even in Physics), so your argument is based on a false premise.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

Oh we're used to it - 40 odd years of being in the EU has made sure of that! It is known as BOHICA - bend over, here it comes again!

The various threats to prevent trade in foodstuffs between Northern Ireland and the rest of the UK, together with the talk from Brussels of punitive tariff regimes designed to punish by damaging or even wrecking certain industries rather reveal the true nature of the beast!

In about 3-5 years from now you will find the irony in your post. Trying to explain it now, would only make you go further in embarrassing yourself.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Matzzon said:

In about 3-5 years from now you will find the irony in your post. Trying to explain it now, would only make you go further in embarrassing yourself.

Perhaps I should make a note in "Google calendar" to come back to you in 5 years time (always supposing you, me, Thai Visa Forum or indeed the EU still exist) to find irony, or even embarrassment!

For what it is worth, and not wishing to provoke bouts of hysteria, I expect that the EU will still exist, although probably not in its current form.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Neither will the alliance in UK

Possibly not, although I am English and I am sure that England will survive, with or without the other countries which currently make up the United Kingdom.

The enthusiasm within certain "EU circles" for dismembering the UK, to curb England always rather amused me in a wry way. As I said, I am English, and although I like Wales and the Welsh, I could live without it. I am more ambivalent about Scotland, I just wish they would make their minds up  - despite all the blue and white frothing at the mouth they do seem remarkably reluctant to take the first step, As for Northern Ireland, it is an anomaly, it always was an anomaly, and it probably always will be an anomaly. It should be up to the people there to decide whether they want to be an anomaly within the UK or The Republic of Ireland.

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

Possibly not, although I am English and I am sure that England will survive, with or without the other countries which currently make up the United Kingdom.

Maybe aye. Maybe no.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornish_nationalism#Support

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yorkshire_Party

55 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

The enthusiasm within certain "EU circles" for dismembering the UK, to curb England always rather amused me in a wry way. As I said, I am English, and although I like Wales and the Welsh, I could live without it. I am more ambivalent about Scotland, I just wish they would make their minds up  - despite all the blue and white frothing at the mouth they do seem remarkably reluctant to take the first step, As for Northern Ireland, it is an anomaly, it always was an anomaly, and it probably always will be an anomaly. It should be up to the people there to decide whether they want to be an anomaly within the UK or The Republic of Ireland.

Ok, Thank you! You have just proved my point. As you see it England is right in everything. You can live without Welsh, which makes then insignificant, right? Then we have Scotland that can´t make their minds up??? (Should probably read, won´t do like they are told by England, right?) After that it´s Northern Ireland that is an anomaly, just because England and the English people decide they are not normal, right?

Do you see where this is going? I think further discussion is not necessary. You know the way you and the english population is thinking, is exactly why the countries in your own union, no longer want to stand straight and fall in line with what you say and think. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, petermik said:

Who am I a mere mortal to question someone who is the expert on anything and everything....a living genious 

Someone claiming he is right,

is, in my opinion;

till proven he isn't.

Humoristic/sarcastic comments can't, in my opinion, been accepted as an evidence.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, luckyluke said:

is, in my opinion;

till proven he isn't.

Humoristic/sarcastic comments can't, in my opinion, been accepted as an evidence.

No - we must only accept the evidence of walkin' talkin' livin' geniuses i suppose?. 

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, nauseus said:

No - we must only accept the evidence of walkin' talkin' livin' geniuses i suppose?. 

That's a personal choice. 

I read, evalue. 

There are  things I know. 

More, I don't. 

From the things I don't know, I believe what seems probable, or/and with evidences. 

Till someone comes with facts proving the contrary. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

That's a personal choice. 

I read, evalue. 

There are  things I know. 

More, I don't. 

From the things I don't know, I believe what seems probable, or/and with evidences. 

Till someone comes with facts proving the contrary. 

I think Donald Rumsfeld hit the nail on the head when he said:

"Reports that say that something hasn't happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns-the ones we don't know we don't know."

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, vogie said:

I think Donald Rumsfeld hit the nail on the head when he said:

"Reports that say that something hasn't happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns-the ones we don't know we don't know."

I checked Wikipedia for this,

interesting statement from an interesting individual, in an intetesting context. 

• Haha 1

Hmmmmm

As an avid remainer I now view the whole situation as .....

We are all on a train to a location we will never reach, so its better to simply get off at the next stop and make the best of whatever we find there rather than rumble over the never ending tracks divisive forever. 

Some of the EUs red lines interfere with sovereignty and that would IMHO be against the result of the referendum. 

And I I say that being an ardent remainer. Time to get on with our lives (I can say this as someone who now lives in the UK rather than someone who did not - I did not vote because I was an expat with no rights to vote but I would have voted remain with all my heart)

6 hours ago, luckyluke said:

Freedom is a relative concept, experienced differently by each of us.

I don't care at all there is written European Union / Kingdom of Belgium, in four languages, on my passport.

Belgium still write laws/regulations for its citizens, as it have always done.

No  interference from the E.U., on my daily life, is perceptible.

So I feel free, Belgian, Flemish, European ( In this order ),

i would like to see a free U.K.,free from being told by an "eu" when and what we can and can't do.glad to hear you,re happy with belgiums situation and will celebrate tonight by going out clog dancing.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, kingdong said:

i would like to see a free U.K.,free from being told by an "eu" when and what we can and can't do.glad to hear you,re happy with belgiums situation and will celebrate tonight by going out clog dancing.

I am agree with you here,

if the E.U. would told me when & wat, I won't be pleased either,

but it isn't the case.

As mentioned before, Belgium is still  issuing its proper laws and regulations for its citizens.

Is everting perfect, of course not.

But I don't complain, and so do the majority of the Belgians.

I had to google " clog dancing ".

Don't see the link/connection.

I suppose it is some kind of British humor.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, luckyluke said:

is, in my opinion;

till proven he isn't.

But sarcastic comments are all the Brexiteers can offer in response on so many occasions.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

I am agree with you here,

if the E.U. would told me when & wat, I won't be pleased either,

but it isn't the case.

As mentioned before, Belgium is still  issuing its proper laws and regulations for its citizens.

Is everting perfect, of course not.

But I don't complain, and so do the majority of the Belgians.

I had to google " clog dancing ".

Don't see the link/connection.

I suppose it is some kind of British humor.

You are right of course. The Belgians don't complain. That's why the EU HQ is in Brussels.

8 minutes ago, nauseus said:

You are right of course. The Belgians don't complain. That's why the EU HQ is in Brussels.

Didn't know that was the reason.

Now it is possible that we start to complain next year,

the U.K. being out of the E.U,. thus an important financial contributor left.

After 4 days of negotiations the rest of the E.U. came to an agreement for the new budget.

We will have to wait & see if that will have an impact on the daily life of the man in the street, and if yes, what it will represent, and thus important enough to complain.

With of course than the risk that the E.U. move its H.Q..

48 minutes ago, kingdong said:

freedom for tooting.

Given that London wanted no part in your Brexit fiasco that might not be far from the truth.

But what about those ungrateful people in Yorkshire and Cornwall? Wanting greater autonomy from Westmister.

Is that a good thing or not?

• Haha 1