Foreigners on non-immigrant visas urged to exploit loophole: Phuket Immigration

snoop1130

11 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

Totally misleading title for this topic imo

i don't see any ''loophole'' to exploit, phuket immigration or not

for the ones stranded here and unable to extend their stay on a O visa

The new ''special tourist visa'' can be obtained only from outside of Thailand

and the precise requirments for the obtention haven't been precised yet.

The obtention of a letter by the embassy isn't a loophole, it's just an option

given to the ones really unable to travel back to their country of origin, and

it's only for 30 days. It's well know now and has not been discovered yesterday

by Phuket immigration.

Plus AFAIK the embassy letter option is available everywhere in Thailand, not only in Phuket.

At the moment nothing has been put in place for the ones unable to extend their

O visa because of the border closure nor for the ones not allowed to enter in Thailand

even if they have already a visa, for example the retirees single or not married oficialy

with a Thai.

It's a shame the priority is given by Thailand at the few ''Tourists'' under the STV

and all the usual long stayers are totally forgotten. 

Thai Visa likes missleading headlines more and more, to get us reading the advertisings that bring them money.
More clicks - probably more money ?

• Like 2

another nail in the coffin ...

many people here, tourists or not (WE ARE ALL TOURISTS DAMNED)

maybe want to be able to SPEND MORE MONEY

but now will be kicked out and having to do those ridiculous 14 days in overpriced hotel SCAM +  3.200.000 baht insurance for TYLENOL in a hospital IF,  you are positive ...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dene16 said:

so as a retiree on a retirement extension, but out of the country.

My only option is to return on the STV visa which will automatically nullify my OA extension thus forcing me to reapply (but an OA visa can not be applied for in Thailand)

How hard would it of been for them to allow Longstayers/ people on extensions to re-enter Thailand on the present conditions

It would not be hard, but you could re-enter on STV and then take the chance that they are open as usual after your 270 days. Then you can apply for a Non-O and extension on that. Problem solved.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mattd said:

I would imagine that the inference was more of those that are not currently in Thailand, are not married, do have retirement extensions and cannot, at the moment, return back to Thailand.

It is, IMO, unfair and this really should be addressed, if a retiree has a one year EOS and a valid reentry permit, the government should be allowing them to return, with the condition of them doing the 15 day ASQ upon arrival.

Sure, that is a fair solution. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

Totally misleading title for this topic imo

i don't see any ''loophole'' to exploit, phuket immigration or not

for the ones stranded here and unable to extend their stay on a O visa

The new ''special tourist visa'' can be obtained only from outside of Thailand

and the precise requirments for the obtention haven't been precised yet.

The obtention of a letter by the embassy isn't a loophole, it's just an option

given to the ones really unable to travel back to their country of origin, and

it's only for 30 days. It's well know now and has not been discovered yesterday

by Phuket immigration.

Plus AFAIK the embassy letter option is available everywhere in Thailand, not only in Phuket.

At the moment nothing has been put in place for the ones unable to extend their

O visa because of the border closure nor for the ones not allowed to enter in Thailand

even if they have already a visa, for example the retirees single or not married oficialy

with a Thai.

It's a shame the priority is given by Thailand at the few ''Tourists'' under the STV

and all the usual long stayers are totally forgotten. 

Yes totally misleading. Wasted 5 min of my life which I will never get back.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dialemco said:

Is it possible for anyone still in Thailand without having qualified for a visa extension can apply for Thai Nationality? 

Who Is Eligible for Thai Citizenship by Naturalization?

You can apply for Thai Citizenship by naturalization if you fulfill the following requirements:

• You are at least 18 years old
  • You have lived in Thailand as a Permanent Resident for at least five years before applying*.
  • You must have been living in Thailand for those years on the same type of visa that you have at the time of application.
  • You have a clean criminal record and are well-behaved
  • You are employed in Thailand
  • You can understand, speak, and be able to write the Thai language*
  • You can sing the Thai National Anthem Sanserm Phra Baramee
  • You acquire at least 50 points out of 100 on the Points Based System of obtaining Thai Citizenship

*These are not required if you:

• Are the spouse or child of someone who received their own Thai Citizenship through naturalization
  • Are the husband of a Thai wife
  • Once held Thai Citizenship
  • Have acted in some way that is the benefit of Thailand

In these cases, you may be able to get Thai Citizenship after three years of living on Thai Visa Extensions, even without having obtained Permanent Residency.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DrDave said:

I wonder what will happen when a STV holder decides or finds it necessary to leave Thailand before the end of the initial 90 days. Maybe an "understay" fine payable at departure?

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

and stay for at least 90 days will be allowed to enter the country.

will this mean that an extension is automatic ?

1 minute ago, LammyTS1 said:

Yes, ignore the tens/hundreds of thousands of people already here COVID free and spending money on hotels, apartments, restaurants and all other types of local businesses. They must return home next week unless they can obtain embassy letters and a 30 day extension. No long term options for them to enable their continued spending.

No, seemingly it's more important to have just 1200 potential new tourists arriving from COVID infected countries and whom cannot leave their hotel for the 1st 14 days thus ruling out local business spending.  

Yes it doesn't make sense at all

TIT

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sandyf said:

I think the former is much more likely.

Common practice on here to take a translation as being literal.

The STV allows an initial entry for a minimum of 90 days and this was distorted in the article.

The new initiatives have indicated a minimum stay of 30 days but even that cannot be enforced, all they can do is restrict boarding to return tickets in excess of 30 days.

But, joking aside, I did wonder about that!

Are they REALLY going to insist on a MINIMUM stay? "Shurly Shome Mishtake"! ????

18 minutes ago, LammyTS1 said:

Yes, ignore the tens/hundreds of thousands of people already here COVID free and spending money on hotels, apartments, restaurants and all other types of local businesses. They must return home next week unless they can obtain embassy letters and a 30 day extension. No long term options for them to enable their continued spending.

No, seemingly it's more important to have just 1200 potential new tourists arriving from COVID infected countries and whom cannot leave their hotel for the 1st 14 days thus ruling out local business spending.  

you do not understand.
that is another Department's responsibility ! ????

Edited by KKr
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, DPKANKAN said:

Dont you mean 'Sexually Transmitted Deseases'???? ????????????????????????????????

diseases, yes I meant that, but didn't want to come right out and say it. More fun to put a thin veil over it

• Haha 1