Foreigners on non-immigrant visas urged to exploit loophole: Phuket Immigration

snoop1130

As clear as mud as usual !  So you only get one of these visas if you come into the country and pay for the two weeks jail before you go anywhere ! They have been told people who are in the country they can keep extending every 30 days but these extensions have to be approved by big office in bkk so they can’t approve them ! ????

3 hours ago, VBF said:

But, joking aside, I did wonder about that!

Are they REALLY going to insist on a MINIMUM stay? "Shurly Shome Mishtake"! ????

The article was from Phuket news, hardly an official source.

The point has been used by those wishing to voice an anti government opinion, waiting for official detail has never been a priority.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

Feel free to elaborate

a lot of them are waiting your explanation about how to do it

Do you really mean, that you have been reading this forum on a daily basis and still need an explanation? That´s scary! ????????

11 hours ago, Dene16 said:

so as a retiree on a retirement extension, but out of the country.

My only option is to return on the STV visa which will automatically nullify my OA extension thus forcing me to reapply (but an OA visa can not be applied for in Thailand)

How hard would it of been for them to allow Longstayers/ people on extensions to re-enter Thailand on the present conditions

It would be simple, their thought process is very shallow...  they might see the retiree longstayers very soon. I eventually will be going to the Thai Embassy politely saying my valid Non O yearly extension is the same thing as the brilliant STV. I'll have a COE please.

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, Matzzon said:

It would not be hard, but you could re-enter on STV and then take the chance that they are open as usual after your 270 days. Then you can apply for a Non-O and extension on that. Problem solved.

I think you are missing the point? 

Why should i get an STV which will nullify my present extension of stay. 

They forced me/others into getting the OA visa years ago which i had no problem with. Now they are declaring it useless but when this is all over, no doubt, they will declare that i need to have it again.

Your answer to the problem involves extending the STV 2 times

I am only in Thailand 3/4 months at any one time so my problem is not solved

Applying for a Non O is only worth it if you are not subject to the 90 day border runs, not everyone is in that position. Ie marriage/dependant

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CANSIAM said:

It would be simple, their thought process is very shallow...

Unfortunately i have always said that Thailand is a populous of limited intelligence but you would expect the people at the very head of the government and such like would have the necessary credentials.

Maybe/most likely most of these positions are gained more through power and money rather than actual intellect.

11 hours ago, Dene16 said:

I think you are missing the point? 

Why should i get an STV which will nullify my present extension of stay. 

They forced me/others into getting the OA visa years ago which i had no problem with. Now they are declaring it useless but when this is all over, no doubt, they will declare that i need to have it again.

Your answer to the problem involves extending the STV 2 times

I am only in Thailand 3/4 months at any one time so my problem is not solved

Applying for a Non O is only worth it if you are not subject to the 90 day border runs, not everyone is in that position. Ie marriage/dependant

You post is confusing. At the end you are talking about not a subject to 90 day border runs???? And you are only mentioning marriage and dependant??? But you have a Non-OA, which means you are over 50 years old, which is the age for retirement in Thailand. Mean you can later apply for a Non-O and extend that at the same time as you are not a subject to any 90 day border runs. Only subject to 90 day reporting, same as with your Non-OA.

Also it´s confusing that you say they forced you into Non-OA. That´s not possible. You have the free choice of Non-O, All the tourist visas as well as Non-OA or other long stay 5 and 10 years visas/extensions. Why do you say that they forced you into something?

So, I know that you will lose your present extension, but that is the only bad thing that would happen. In other word, you will lose 2000 baht. If you do not think it´s worth that much t come back to Thailand? Yeah, then I just believe you have to make the better choice and stay home then. 

2 hours ago, Matzzon said:

You post is confusing. At the end you

are talking about not a subject to 90 day border runs???? And you are only mentioning marriage and dependant???

Let me explain the confusion

The reason i state i was forced into a OA visa is simply because if you have too many tourist visa's its common knowledge that many people have been turned away at the airport. rightly or wrongly is irrelevant,  i was merely trying to emphasise they were ensuring/forcing everyone  onto the correct visa, as they saw it

In regards to the non O visa, i myself could be in error this is because when the OA visa was first announced i am of the belief it was the only option open to me at that time. An Australian living  near me was doing doing border runs every 3 months  and stated that's what all his friends were doing

If you google a non immigrant O visa it always mentions via marriage or dependency but never retirement. Having looked since your comments i have now found evidence in regards to your statement but only after actually putting in the word retirement and not just Non O visa 

When the OA visa was first introduced i am of the belief that the Non O was not an option (i was only 50 and not retired) have the rules since then changed? could you still get a Non O at age 50 then?

Maybe just the fact that i could do it in my own country but i don't think so

11 minutes ago, Dene16 said:

Let me explain the confusion

The reason i state i was forced into a OA visa is simply because if you have too many tourist visa's its common knowledge that many people have been turned away at the airport. rightly or wrongly is irrelevant,  i was merely trying to emphasise they were ensuring/forcing everyone  onto the correct visa, as they saw it

In regards to the non O visa, i myself could be in error this is because when the OA visa was first announced i am of the belief it was the only option open to me at that time. An Australian living  near me was doing doing border runs every 3 months  and stated that's what all his friends were doing

If you google a non immigrant O visa it always mentions via marriage or dependency but never retirement. Having looked since your comments i have now found evidence in regards to your statement but only after actually putting in the word retirement and not just Non O visa 

When the OA visa was first introduced i am of the belief that the Non O was not an option (i was only 50 and not retired) have the rules since then changed? could you still get a Non O at age 50 then?

Maybe just the fact that i could do it in my own country but i don't think so

Yes, you can get Non-O and make an extension based on retirement when you are 50 and up. That´s Thailands rules.

Edited by Matzzon

On 9/17/2020 at 7:34 AM, Geoffggi said:

Missed opportunity, IMO the government should have offered this new visa to people already here who would benefit and would be prepared to stay long term in Thailand. They could have stipulated that people need to have a covid test (more money into the coffers) plus all the 2,000 Baht fees for the visa itself could have been a good earner for the country.

As usual, being smart or just using common sense is not the strong suit of those coming up with new rules. Trying to get more tourists safely in and at the same imposing stupid hurdles on those already here, who are considered to be safe (not infected) and willing to stay for long time and spend money just does not make any sens at all, does it?

• Like 1

On 9/18/2020 at 2:39 AM, Matzzon said:

Also it´s confusing that you say they forced you into Non-OA. That´s not possible.

just for information

I now remember at the time i am sure that to get a retirement visa you needed to be 60 or over The OA offered a way around this

1 hour ago, Dene16 said:

just for information

I now remember at the time i am sure that to get a retirement visa you needed to be 60 or over The OA offered a way around this

Actually that is not relevant at all. It have been years that 50 has been the age for retirement in Thailand. You could have changed that long time ago.

• Like 1

Thank you for the post! It is easy to read and understand. 

Does anyone know of any websites that have job postings (supporting work permit) that would satisfy work permit requirements? I think the minimum salary is B40,000 per month for 3 years before applying for citizenship.

Also, anyone would like to share experiences getting social security while living in Thailand? Do you have it sent through Bangkok Bank in New york to Bangkok Bank in Thailand? Moneygram? How heavily is this taxed and what costs are there? i.e. Will there be fee for fee?

Edited by KhonDD

4 hours ago, KhonDD said:

Thank you for the post! It is easy to read and understand. 

Does anyone know of any websites that have job postings (supporting work permit) that would satisfy work permit requirements? I think the minimum salary is B40,000 per month for 3 years before applying for citizenship.

Also, anyone would like to share experiences getting social security while living in Thailand? Do you have it sent through Bangkok Bank in New york to Bangkok Bank in Thailand? Moneygram? How heavily is this taxed and what costs are there? i.e. Will there be fee for fee?

Facebook has Jobs for Farangs in Thailand. 

My pension from the German social security funds goes to Bank of America first and then to Bangkok Bank in Thailand where it's printed in my bankbook. Guess you as an American could use the same transaction line. 

I would forget about Thai citizenship at the moment. 5 years permanent residence in Thailand and knowledge of Thai language are required, and even then they grant Thai citizenship to only 100 foreigners p.a. 

Edited by micmichd
  • Like 1

On 9/17/2020 at 3:58 AM, DrDave said:

I wonder what will happen when a STV holder decides or finds it necessary to leave Thailand before the end of the initial 90 days. Maybe an "understay" fine payable at departure?

As you have to pay upfront for the whole stay, no damage done. But of course, no refunds!

3 hours ago, micmichd said:

Facebook has Jobs for Farangs in Thailand. 

My pension from the German social security funds goes to Bank of America first and then to Bangkok Bank in Thailand where it's printed in my bankbook. Guess you as an American could use the same transaction line. 

I would forget about Thai citizenship at the moment. 5 years permanent residence in Thailand and knowledge of Thai language are required, and even then they grant Thai citizenship to only 100 foreigners p.a. 

I would forget the jobs as well. Every company I've talked to says they are unable to issue work permits and hire foreign staff who don't already have a B visa or already have a work permit. This could all be fixed with a simple change to the law allowing for changing of visas from within the country. But, alas, it's the land of smiles not common senese, compassion, or candor.

1 hour ago, StayinThailand2much said:

As you have to pay upfront for the whole stay, no damage done. But of course, no refunds!

With a multiple-entry visa you can leave the country any time you want. You just should be back when you your next 90 days report is due. Of course, no refunds for administrative fees. Just like in your home country for Thais. 

Edited by micmichd
  • Confused 2

9 minutes ago, micmichd said:

With a multiple-entry visa you can leave the country any time you want. You just should be back when you your next 90 days report is due. Of course, no refunds for administrative fees. Just like in your home country for Thais.

Exiting the country and re-entering the country re-sets the 90-day reporting requirement back to zero.

Also, 90-day reporting is not required when on a short-stay permission to stay (which includes the 90-day permission to stay you get when entering on a ME Non Imm O marriage Visa).

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, woogoo said:

I would forget the jobs as well. Every company I've talked to says they are unable to issue work permits and hire foreign staff who don't already have a B visa or already have a work permit. This could all be fixed with a simple change to the law allowing for changing of visas from within the country. But, alas, it's the land of smiles not common senese, compassion, or candor.

You're not allowed to work in a job that can be done by a Thai. The Thai Labour office has a catalogue about this. Now once you worked as an English teacher and almost every bar girl is improving her English skills there isn't so many jobs left that cannot be done by Thais (or people from the surrounding ASEAN countries) 

This IS Thai common sense. They want to avoid scenes like the ones in Europe under Angela Merkel and the like. 

4 minutes ago, micmichd said:

You're not allowed to work in a job that can be done by a Thai. The Thai Labour office has a catalogue about this. Now once you worked as an English teacher and almost every bar girl is improving her English skills there isn't so many jobs left that cannot be done by Thais (or people from the surrounding ASEAN countries) 

This IS Thai common sense. They want to avoid scenes like the ones in Europe under Angela Merkel and the like. 

I know a Thai lady who can speak perfectly English, and she knows exactly what Farangs want because she had a British boyfriend. This lady is utterly poor, but she would be able to run a bar. She never had a chance in her life because her  British boyfriend promised her a rose garden and then ran away. 

Would you consider this a fair behaviour? 

Now, even this poor Issan lady will get her chance. I hope she takes it. 

1 hour ago, micmichd said:

No, you aren't allowed to work in specific fields that have been deemed off-limits (in violation of international treaties the government here has signed on to, but talk for another day). There are plenty of jobs here available to foreigners, and many business owners would prefer hiring non-Thais. During the past four months, I've had multiple opportunities, but it gets back to the same problem, which is they can't get me a work permit as I can't leave and come back into the country without great hardship and expenses, making the hiring process not worth it at the moment. I've never worked in ESL and wouldn't want to, especially not in this country.

1 hour ago, micmichd said:

I know a Thai lady who can speak perfectly English, and she knows exactly what Farangs want because she had a British boyfriend. This lady is utterly poor, but she would be able to run a bar. She never had a chance in her life because her  British boyfriend promised her a rose garden and then ran away. 

Would you consider this a fair behaviour? 

Now, even this poor Issan lady will get her chance. I hope she takes it. 

No idea what you are going on about. I have very little interest in the failings of bar girls and their endless string of poor choices. Nor do I believe that not hiring foreigners will help these people find success. At that, I would highly recommend you spend less time at the go-go's and the people who frequent them. Not a good crowd to be around.

6 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

No,  you pay upfront only for the inbound flight and 14 day quarantine but in order to obtain this special visa, you agree to stay in Thailand for a further 76 days.