Suet

SidJames

I've no idea, however, if a "UK-centric" shop like Siamburi's carries it (or used to) then maybe another "UK-centric" shop like Siam Expat Food might also ?
It's a small (single shophouse) store on Soi Siam Country Club. Lots of frozen stuff I didn't spend much time looking through.

You could try asking them through their facebook page first and hope they know what you are talking about, unless you happen to be close to the place already of course.

https://www.facebook.com/siamexpatfood/ - don't bother clicking on their website link - it isn't set up or they've let the registration/hosting lapse. It's located right beside the Nong Bistro (which is easier to see as you are driving along Siam Country Club in either direction).

There are some online meat delivery businesses that may have it as well. Trying to remember the names of them. One used to be a sponsor on TV I think.

Found it. Passion Delivery. (I think there's at least one other similar place as well but I can't recall the name and didn't bookmark it.)
https://passiondelivery.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=suet

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, thaiflyer1 said:

Strange..............he advertised it on the 15th as being in stock on his facebook page........99baht......only vegetable suet though

Could be an issue of not knowing where to look for it, or what to look for (i.e. packaging).

In the last week they've noted having Beef and Vegetable Suet, both are "Atora" brand but I have no idea where in the store they'd be stocked (but the staff should know).

suet-a.jpg.21fa076b15abd7b5a136be94f87864a7.jpg  suet-b.jpg.f7863ec0e46f07bdba4c7c973be7f9e3.jpg

5 hours ago, champers said:

So, what are you making with suet, Sid? Beef stew and dumplings? Steak and kidney pudding? Or something sweet?

I'm want to try an oxtail & bone marrow steamed pudding so I want real suet rather than a veggie or butter as a shortening.

There's a lot of prep so I want to hopefully get it right first time & not be blaming the shortening.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, SidJames said:

I'm want to try an oxtail & bone marrow steamed pudding so I want real suet rather than a veggie or butter as a shortening.

There's a lot of prep so I want to hopefully get it right first time & not be blaming the shortening.

Sounds delicious; as rich as a Thai cabinet minister. I'm off to look up the recipe. Bon appetit.

17 hours ago, champers said:

Sounds delicious; as rich as a Thai cabinet minister. I'm off to look up the recipe. Bon appetit.

Look up Heston's receipe for oxtail & kidney pudding, mine's a twist on that.

I wanted to eat the TV screen when I saw his way of doing it.

• Thanks 1

On 9/17/2020 at 7:41 PM, SidJames said:

I'm assuming you're a Brit, only they would want to be concocting such a weird combination. We Aussies will settle for a grass-fed Gippsland eye fillet, with a good Rutherglen shiraz. Suet was stuff we ate during the Great Depression.

What are you thinking of drinking with this?

Edited by Lacessit

You can always go to the local wet-market and buy direct from anybody selling beef.  It is called  วัว aka น้ำมั่นแผ่น, pronounced N̂ả mạ̀n p̄hæ̀n.  May have to remove the membrane and grate it but it will be fresh.  To store, after grating, mix with a little flour and put into a plastic bag and keep in the freezer.

'nuf sed.  plamuk aka travellingchef.

• Thanks 1