BANGKOK
Thaivisa Web Content Team

Life after death: What happens when you die? 'All part of infinite unity' - claim

8 minutes ago, hobz said:

Can a single atom in your neurons be replaced without losing your Identity?

If only one is replaced, then I guess so.

Are we not, the sum of our parts...?

On 9/17/2020 at 1:16 AM, bluesofa said:

It's bloody dark in here...

5 years, not 5 months. 🙂 

Edited by Matzzon
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, faraday said:

If only one is replaced, then I guess so.

Are we not, the sum of our parts...?

If one can be replaced, then why not two? Why not more?

I don't know what the hell we are. It seems like, from a materialistic perspective we are the configuration of our parts, but we are not the parts... But also, if one would make a separate identical configuration we would only be one of those two configurations. 

49 minutes ago, hobz said:

If one can be replaced, then why not two? Why not more?

I don't know what the hell we are. It seems like, from a materialistic perspective we are the configuration of our parts, but we are not the parts... But also, if one would make a separate identical configuration we would only be one of those two configurations. 

In the case of the Argo, then it would be two ships. But us, well, we have consciousness, which I don't think is seated inside us. Perhaps we are born blank, & are imprinted by Jung's universal unconsciousness. How else do we just know some things etc.

(a quick answer, & as I'm sure you know, much condensed)

I'm with Lucretius and the folly of the fear of death. Death is probably just some unimaginable state of nothingness (probably, cos nothing's certain) if you ask me - non fui, fui, non sum, non curo (I was not, I was, I am not, I don't care), a bit like the Buddhist Nirvana, but without the consciousness part. I am, however, very concerned with life - time is a flat circle (True Detective), eternal recurrence (Nietzche) and all that. Boëthius wrote an interesting essay on this in The Consolation of Philosophy, albeit from a religious perspective with God, as some higher dimensional being, looking down on us, and to this theoretical being everything is set in eternity, including your life. It's a scary thought to me that everything I do, and has been done (and suffered) by others, might be set in eternity, certainly makes you think twice when making decisions (and yes, Boëthius addressed this problem, free will is still possible even within a determined system, it's just determined to this theoretical higher dimensional being, not to you who are living it). Sometimes I think blissful ignorance is the way to go, that famous Lovecraft quote springs to mind - 

“The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. "

Edited by nausea
More info.