Thai govt eyes new visa rules in bid to woo investors

webfact

Recently I read some news that Croatia is actually going forward in creating a digital nomad visa. The reasoning is that these digital nomads pay rent, spend money in local economies, etc ... it should be good for the development of Croatia. This Croatian visa will be valid for 1 year at a time.

See: https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/pm-plenkovic-croatia-will-soon-introduce-digital-nomad-visas/

I believe in Thailand there have been some plans for a digital nomad visa and it would make a lot of sense to have it here (seeing many people work remotely from Thailand), but as of yet no progress has been made. Ideally these digital nomads should get a work permit as well and pay a bit of income tax without needing to be employed by some other company or by settings up a company that is 51% owned by Thais. 

This should be an easy, low-key visa to work on. 

Edited by wolf81

2 hours ago, Veritas48 said:

I have been married to my Thai wife for 27 years now and I lived there for 12 years but my status with Thai Immigration remains the same......................................Farang/Tourist.

Yes, Thais do not want PRs, they want to keep farangs on short leash. I got three kids (dual nationality), Thai wife, have gifted her two houses and three cars, could easily cough the 10M for investment PR - temporary permit to stay, 13 years in a row. Already had enough of it and was looking for next residence when covid hit, enough is enough.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Work permit has been possible on married extensions for years.

In Bangkok someone that is on one of those committees told me they are working on that issue hence I mentioned it here.
My task for next week is clear then, will report back as-if-and-when successful.

13 minutes ago, wolf81 said:

Recently I read some news that Croatia is actually going forward in creating a digital nomad visa. The reasoning is that these digital nomads pay rent, spend money in local economies, etc ... it should be good for the development of Croatia. This Croatian visa will be valid for 1 year at a time.

See: https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/pm-plenkovic-croatia-will-soon-introduce-digital-nomad-visas/

I believe in Thailand there have been some plans for a digital nomad visa and it would make a lot of sense to have it here (seeing many people work remotely from Thailand), but as of yet no progress has been made. Ideally these digital nomads should get a work permit as well and pay a bit of income tax without needing to be employed by some other company or by settings up a company that is 51% owned by Thais. 

Croatia has pretty bad income taxes, IIRC. Thailand would be a better option in that regard.

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

PR for everyone who buys a condo (without requirement of having worked and paid taxes) would be welcome. They should also remove the "worked and paid taxes" requirement for PR on basis of investment.  It makes no sense, investors are unlikely to be employees in Thailand.

Reduce the threshold for PR on basis of investment for long term residents here (retirees and those with Thai families) would also be wise and bring in more investment. the 10 million threshold is out of reach even for most of the more affluent retirees but say 5 million could be.

Ans what about those of us who already own condos ? 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, wolf81 said:

with Dubrovnik, Zagreb, not the worst country. imho more attractive than Estonia.
But woud rather stay in Thailand ????

The more I read stuff like this, the more I see that all the coup has come to is 1 ineffective government overthrowing another ineffective government. Much more needs to be looked at then the visas. They need to look to Singapore for examples, rather than just doing what will make themselves richer.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, KKr said:

In Bangkok someone that is on one of those committees told me they are working on that issue hence I mentioned it here.
My task for next week is clear then, will report back as-if-and-when successful.

Go straight to your labour office for your area and do it there. Imm' don't have an input, neither do 'committees'. 

Don't listen to the 'must be a B visa' bunch either.

Edited by overherebc
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DrTuner said:

Investment category for PR has existed for a long time. But it's blocked by the demand for three years of tax receipts.

It's not the tax receipts who are the issue, BUT they also want a valid work permit for that time.

it's possible to not work here and still pay enough taxes on investments or money brought into, but then u are still blocked by no WP. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

i be skeptical of this coz this pandemic issues has exposed the issues of visa. just look at the non immigrant visa for retiree and marriage - approve for a year and every 90 days in out but now with the pandemic suddenly all this are null & void. there is no honor to honor all that was approve where it is above board and legal.

14 hours ago, bodga said:

they tried something  like this  years  ago if  you spent 3  million on a  condo   except  no permanent residence, I have 7  in my Wife's  name guess they wont  let me  be permanent then!

Later they  will change the rules leaving owners high and dry after theyve  suckered them in and theyve spent their  cash. just  like last time.

Yes they will change 

13 hours ago, Matzzon said:

In the first eight months it was available, 28 of 37 applicants managed to obtain the Visa according to the Board of Investment.

if this is a fact, it is a prove,on which level these clowns are playing - its Kindergarten level

28 in a country with over 60 Mill. people ! How much did it cost to implement this sh..? start counting how many hours of manpower was used for this ! The one, who is responsible for this, should be transfered to the far east of Siberia.. or inner Mongolia ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, dieter1 said:

if this is a fact, it is a prove,on which level these clowns are playing - its Kindergarten level

28 in a country with over 60 Mill. people ! How much did it cost to implement this sh..? start counting how many hours of manpower was used for this ! The one, who is responsible for this, should be transfered to the far east of Siberia.. or inner Mongolia ...

Yep! Read it yourself.

https://www.legal.co.th/resources/visa-immigration-law/thailand-immigration-law/how-many-smart-visas-are-approved-thailand/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, nobodysfriend said:

Permanent residence for the ones who buy a condo , sounds fair enough to me .

What a bout the ones who already own a condo ...?

How about those who already have PR?

Same. Despite all that I went through to get it, I'd actually wish more people acquired it, event they get it for free. As long as the PR benefits aren't further diluted if many people get it.

8 hours ago, TERMINATOR3AB said:

The more I read  about Thailand  the  less I  would ever want to  live there  ( totally  ruined  by the idiots  who  control and  run  it !!! )

Soon  as I  can  my wife  will sell her Condo  I  bought  for  her and  she  wants to  live in Australia  ( Only  24 million in whole  counrty)

Who would blame her (  Beautiful  people mostly....free  medical  ...free   Social  Security  ....Low  cost housing for the  lower  income )

Australia  is like  living in heaven  compared to Thailand  sorry  but it is  very true (ref to QLD) where I live (Speak English  too  ...lol )

Our  north  is  as  beautiful  as any place in Thailand  mate  a lot  bigger   and a lot  cleaner  and  a  hell of  a lot  better and private 

Good  Luck Thailand 

The same rent for a week as I pay for a month in Thailand? Women in the supermarkets that look like beached whales? Vehicle registration costs that are ten times those in Thailand? Internet that's half the speed of Thailand, at twice the cost?

Fair enough, the wine is cheaper. As for the rest, whatever it is you are smoking, I want some.

• Like 1

Well, personally I did invest in both getting a company going as well as a couple of workers.

Would have both kept that up & hired more too, and that would have been work that could have been done remotely by young thais too - something that would have been a good thing long term.

But now I'm onto a retirement visa & will stay on that as long as I spend my time her... There is a limit to the extra unknowns that anyone starting a business here should tolerate, and not knowing if one has to leave & maybe get sick that way is definitely a no-go!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, renz said:

i be skeptical of this coz this pandemic issues has exposed the issues of visa. just look at the non immigrant visa for retiree and marriage - approve for a year and every 90 days in out but now with the pandemic suddenly all this are null & void. there is no honor to honor all that was approve where it is above board and legal.

Not null and void. All ME O visas were under amnesty until 26th Sept.

Retirement extensions were running as usual until re-new time and then people renewed as per normal. Amnesty didn't affect them ( except 90 day reports were not required for a while ).

Only change is now if married you can change to a married extension valid for a year. 400,000 in the bank or 40,000/month income.

Edited by overherebc
  • Like 2

On 9/17/2020 at 8:10 AM, mhatami said:

May be they should protect the ones already invested a lage sum before trying to bring more investors otherwise looks like they are scaming the new ones

Absolutely correct. 12 yrs in Thailand, spent Millions on a house, have a Thai GF an a non o extension on retirement. When I leave the country I can not come back, because the so called long term tourists have priority. Your loyalty to Thailand is worth nothing. The forget you wen the money is spend.

• Like 1