Thai govt eyes new visa rules in bid to woo investors

webfact

On 9/17/2020 at 2:55 AM, bodga said:

they tried something  like this  years  ago if  you spent 3  million on a  condo   except  no permanent residence, I have 7  in my Wife's  name guess they wont  let me  be permanent then!

Later they  will change the rules leaving owners high and dry after theyve  suckered them in and theyve spent their  cash. just  like last time.

What happened last time? 

2 hours ago, GertG said:

Absolutely correct. 12 yrs in Thailand, spent Millions on a house, have a Thai GF an a non o extension on retirement. When I leave the country I can not come back, because the so called long term tourists have priority. Your loyalty to Thailand is worth nothing. The forget you wen the money is spend.

That's why I prefer to get pensions every month. Those pensions are never definitely spent. 

Edited by micmichd

On 9/17/2020 at 3:53 PM, TERMINATOR3AB said:

The more I read  about Thailand  the  less I  would ever want to  live there  ( totally  ruined  by the idiots  who  control and  run  it !!! )

Soon  as I  can  my wife  will sell her Condo  I  bought  for  her and  she  wants to  live in Australia  ( Only  24 million in whole  counrty)

Who would blame her (  Beautiful  people mostly....free  medical  ...free   Social  Security  ....Low  cost housing for the  lower  income )

Australia  is like  living in heaven  compared to Thailand  sorry  but it is  very true (ref to QLD) where I live (Speak English  too  ...lol )

Our  north  is  as  beautiful  as any place in Thailand  mate  a lot  bigger   and a lot  cleaner  and  a  hell of  a lot  better and private 

Good  Luck Thailand 

I have been back in Queensland 5 months now and entirely agree with you, anywhere along the coast north of Coolangatta is as good as anything Thailand can offer. Only one problem, my partner of 8 years is in Thailand and i am here, with no chance of either of us moving. When i started going to LOS, 14 years ago it was run by a guy called Thaksin and the country was thriving. Many don't like him, but he always respected the Farang, which appears to be the opposite from the present government.

On 9/17/2020 at 4:16 PM, KKr said:

my 2-cents:
to woo investors:
give investment incentives.
to allow permanent residency:
set a time limit of permanently having Thailand as main residence, p.e. seven years on retirement or marriage extensions (and possibly others extensions or work permits or combination of those).
Smart Visa: not eligible by default. ????
Working Permit: allow for those on Marriage extensions.

Why don't they just 'turn back the pages' look and see which were the best and most successful type of visa for both parties and then look into re introducing it or them without fiddling around.  Or don't they believe in using past experience , hoping that the Immigration minister will 'make a name for himself'

• Thanks 1